Upcoming Dominions 3 Desura Release and New Patch in December

From http://www.illwinter.com/ :

19th November 2012 - Dominions 3 no longer sold by Shrapnel Games
Dominions 3 is no longer sold by Shrapnel Games, so it is difficult to buy right now. However we intend to sell Dominions 3 on Desura as soon as possible, hopefully December 1st.

To elaborate somewhat on that, Illwinter’s contract for the distribution of Dominions 3 with Shrapnel Games expired a few days ago. Illwinter will publish the game through Desura, the target date being in the quoted section. The pricing on Desura and other such details are yet to be determined (or if they have been, Illwinter is keeping it to themselves).

Furthermore, patch 3.28 is in beta testing at the moment:
http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom3/dom3progress.html

I figured there might be a bunch of people here who would find this news of interest.

Tom, it may be presumptuous of me to ask, but would this call for a sort of reprisal of Dom3 on the main page of Qt3? Perhaps after Dom3 is released on Desura?

Very cool. Maybe we can get them on Steam through Greenlight if they don’t already on their own. I know I would buy it again just to show support and because of all the thousand(s) of hours I have got out of the game and continue to get.

Wonder if that explains the unprecedented very deep discount recently offered. Maybe Shrapnel was trying to make a last round of sales to all those sitting on the fence for years before handing publishing rights back.

Will also be interesting to see what price it lists on Desura at.

Wow. Will the printed manual cease to exist? Will it be offered as a PDF?

It’s been offered as a PDF for a while, hasn’t it, as part of the digital download option Shrapnel finally offered?

Edit - Duh, I bought a download version for a friend during the special, so I can check myself. Yes, the digital download ships with a PDF.

Didn’t know (or forgot) that there had been a Shrapel digital download option. Thanks for the update.

With all the patches, the manual probably needs a big update, although I’m guessing all that stuff is now available via wiki or something.

OMG. Such great news. Maybe Dom 3 will get more exposure on another service.

There are various “manual errata” threads etc on the shrapnel forum, possible copies elsewhere and some of the errata listed on the Dom3 wiki, but no concentrated effort that I know of to keep an accurate, up to date listing.

If you have the original document from the days when you wrote the manual, updating that would be the best possible thing, because then there would be no need to list errata as a separate appendix. The unit stats section though, good luck with that what with all the statfix changes, rebalancing and similar things done between versions 3.0 and 3.28.

If there is a possibility to update the entire document and export it to PDF, it would be awesome. And if it is possible, I’m willing to pitch in and help track down all the stuff that needs to be looked at.

Will my retail key register on Desura?

Details on units, spells, and such are probably better found online especially with the popularity of the CBM mods.

However, I still consult the manual for how specific mechanics work like turn resolution, morale checks, and such. If any of those have changed over the years, it would probably be good to have them updated. Also it seems there were nations added as patches and such that are not in the manual.

You may have to call em up and get a new gig to update it for their new distribution :).

Yes, it should. For all the people who bought a retail copy from Shrapnel, some sort of way to redeem the key from that purchase is likely to be set up, but there is no news at the moment.

I will take the issue up with Johan.

Awesome news. My key is printed in the manual front cover and I’m always worried I’ll lose it. It usually lives on my desk but I know if I ever get around to a spring clean, I will “put it somewhere safe” and that will be the last I see of it.

My Dom3 manual is also within arm’s reach on my desk (or more accurately, on a shelf above it), but I wrote the key down into a text file where I also have other important stuff so in case the manual goes missing in action, I’ll still have it.

I was looking through old CDs the other day to find something unrelated, but remember seeing a disc labeled “Dom3 manual backup” so it’s likely the files are there. I will check tonight when I get home from work and PM you. Thanks.

Looks like Illwinter had pleasing results from trying a different pricing model on Desura (and now getting on Steam as well, I guess).
They started at $30, but now you can get CoE3 for as little as $10.
Here’s hoping Dom3 will be available for less than it used to (and on a sale worth being called one) on Desura as well, then I’m finally sure to pick it up.
I have to play some more CoE3 in the meantime…

rezaf

I will totally get it, try to get into it again and end up not having the time or patience and shelving it again for $19.99.

Great! Let us know when it’s up to date. :)

This is awesome, thanks!

To clarify, I expect that CD keys bought from Shrapnel will work with a Desura downloaded copy without problems. However, whether people who have previously purchased from Shrapnel will get a free Desura copy is something that Illwinter needs to look at.

Any such scheme would entail a crapload of manual work verifying bought keys and no easy way to do that. Otherwise they’d be a prime target for all kinds of scammers looking to get a free copy of the game.

Right now there is no news, but the issue has been raised.

The illwinter webpage had dominions 3 listed at 9.99.Not sure if that is accurate though.