Upcoming Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, "The Legend of Korra"

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/avatar-the-last-airbender-nickelodeon-greenlights-tv-sequel-the-legend-of-korra/

“Nickelodeon said in a release that “The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.””

Oh hells yeah.

The king is back!

qfmft

qafmft

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Korra’s quest eventually leads her to Republic City–the epicenter of the world of “Avatar.” A metropolis powered by steampunk-type technology, the city is inhabited by people from all nations. Korra finds that Republic City suffers from rampant crime and is also dealing with an anti-bender revolt. Korra is tutored by Aang’s son, Tenzin, is the ways of airbending.

Sounds great! When I clicked this thread, I thought it was going to be some new horrible fantasy or M Night movie.

If they told Korra she was the avatar at age 16 as is the custom, and the series is 70 years into the future, that means that Aang only lived until age 66? Seems like an awful young age for an avatar to pass. :(

That’s so nice to hear! Now I’m going to have to go watch the series again.

Freak elephant koi riding accident.

Edit: Or central plot point. I’m sure we’ll get plenty of ghost Obi-Wan Aangobi anyway.

We better get a wrap up of what happened to FireLady! I was sure that was left there for a sequel.

I’m sure we will.

I’m really glad they aren’t basing it centrally around the same characters.

Or she could easily still be around too as a behind the scenes villain or the such. Aang’s earth-bending friend was still around 100 years later after all. :)

I don’t want to read this thread much for fear of spoilers about the first series, but I’ve just started watching it in earnest (I watched the first few episodes when they came out, but got out of the habit for some reason). This is a FANTASTIC series from episode one. I love it, and I’m only about 8 episodes in so far. So I’m glad they are doing more from that world.

This looks cool, though I still need to see Avatar (the show, the show), so this gives me an excuse to finally dive in.

Hahaha, me too. Then it dawned on me just as I was mentally cursing.

The artwork at the top of the page looks amazing; while I am concerned that fantasy already has a severe overdose of rebellious teens, I don’t want to read too much into a throwaway liine from a press release.

The thing is, the way they’re describing her could easily describe (at various times) Katara and Toph, both of whom were stubborn and had tempers and they were great. I’m not really worried.

Squeeee!!!

I just have 4 episodes to go on the series.

Interview with creators here.

LULZ:

What did you guys think of the live-action version of “The Last Airbender”?

Konietzko: We’re just really focused on this new show right now, and kind of taking this off in its own direction and not concerning ourselves with that right now.

It is Nickelodeon.