Upcoming Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, "The Legend of Korra"

The pic looks like Avatar meets Batman. Maybe they could have Korra wear the Blue Spirit mask and fight crime and corruption in Republic City :)

It really makes me happy that they’re doing this in the future with new characters. It usually feels like sequels are an excuse to show the same characters, and it is nice that instead we’re going to see more of the world.

And honestly, having a female main character in a kid’s action show is freaking amazing.

I just finished the original series today, so this is great news. I just hope they don’t try too hard to make it gritty.

Awesome. What’s that from?

I just really hope they don’t turn it into Gurl Power Avatar.

Those guys have their weaknesses, but lack of self-awareness isn’t one of them.

Also, from the interview:

Would you like to bring a cartoon version of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” to the big screen?

Konietzko: We would love to. I think Mike and I would absolutely love to do feature animation. Either another story, or it if worked out, one in the “Avatar” world. We would be really excited.

That would be a perfect way to honor the popularity of the series without doing another live action disaster. I’d also love to see the old gang go on one more adventure.

They could work in something like, his avatar energy only lasts so long and he was in that iceberg for 100 years, which is still him being alive. So, he died at the age of 166.

For a second there I thought you meant M NIGHT SHYAMALAN would be raping the series some more.

Polar bear dog thing!

Neat, but he’s no Aapa.

Cool art style! I wonder if that’s what the series will look like. The previous pics looked a lot closer to Avatar’s style.

They can’t place Aapa and I hope they don’t try. Polar dog looks like fun…

Dunno if this is obvious knowledge, but the show has been expanded from 13 to 26 episodes. Was originally supposed to be this fall, but the extra episodes have pushed things out the next summer.

Good news and bad, but good on the balance. (I actually thought the order was for 6 episodes)

I was late to the party with Avatar (just watched it this year with my kids), but man am I excited about seeing more. I’m glad they are getting a full season for the new show.

My favorite part of Avatar was the fact that they seemed to know where they were going with the story and wrapped everything up in a satisfying way. Too many shows these days are serialized but just seem to be making it up as they go along.

Wow, that art looks splendid.

IMO, Avatar was one of the very best series of the last years. And I don’t mean cartoon, or kids series, I mean series period.

That the continuation is getting more episodes is very good news.

Trailer.

Various bits of production info here, about character names and relationships mostly. I don’t consider it spoilery but I know some people were crazy sensitive about that.

Looks like the city will be ~1900 Hong Kong or so in feel?
EDIT: I see 1920s is the aim. Probably knew that before somehow!

Nice. Love the look. And did that guy at the very end of the trailer sound like Sokka?