*UPDATED* Go Dell or Build it Yourself

Earlier today, my closest friend asked for advice on his next computer purchase. He is a hardcore gamer who really enjoys FPS, RPGs and strategy games. He is trying to decide if he should build his next computer (note that he has NO experience doing so, although he has added RAM and new video cards to his current rig) or if he should grab a Dell.

Dell is currently running a special on their XPS gaming line of systems. The one he is interested in has the following features:

256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia GeForce 6800 (plain, not ultra or GT)
Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2 DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
WinXP

Final Price: $1400 (on sale-usual price $2100)

Is this a great price for a system with those features? Personally, I’m not thrilled with the choice of video cards. Could he do much better if he built it himself? I’ve been out of the hardware loop for a few years now, so I told him I’d ask on the forum and see if people thought the Dell system would not make a good high performance gaming rig. I’m concerned about him going with the “do-it-yourself” route, because I’ve always believed a performance computer is more than the sum of its parts. To me inexperienced=unstable. However, perhaps times have changed since I’ve last ventures into a computer’s bowels.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

As for doing it himself, all I can say is: bent pins. In my first (and so far only) cpu swap, I bent some pins. I bent them back and forced the damn thing into the zif socket, but I think I’m a little chicken myself to build from actual mobos and cpus and stuff. Hard drives and video cards I can handle.

Well first thing he should do is come up with a system at NewEgg and compare prices. If there’s no appreciable win on pricing, why bother?

but I think I’m a little chicken myself to build from actual mobos and cpus and stuff. Hard drives and video cards I can handle

:D I agree. I can change video cards, sound cards and DVD drives, but motherboards, hard drives and CPUs make me verrrry jittery. That’s why I refuse to build my own system

Well first thing he should do is come up with a system at NewEgg and compare prices. If there’s no appreciable win on pricing, why bother?

I came up with a similar system for around $1200, excluding tax and shipping if built via newegg.

Don’t bother with an XPS. Check out the 9100. Nice and quiet, with good performance and a lot cheaper.

Dell Small Business has the new Dimension 9100 Desktop with 945P chipset and BTX form factor technology - Pentium 4 630 3Ghz 512MB DDR2-533/40GB Serial ATA HD, 48x CD, Free 20in 2005FPW LCD, 128MB ATI Radeon X300SE PCI Express video card, 7.1 Audio, 1yr warranty, Word Perfect, XP Home $829 after $100 rebate (Limit 5 per customer), shipped free. Tax is charged. Exp Sun 8/7

Customize that with the 6800, but buy the ram, at least, yourself and you shoudl not only save money but a free 20 inch lcd. if you do the easy parts yourself, like ram and video card, etc. you can save money and work.

I think it’s hilarious how the Dell ‘recommended’ hard drive option is the 400 dollar 500 gig drive. !!! It should pretty obovious where the sweetspot upgrades are, 160 gig drive, etc. 6800 isn’t TOO badly overpriced, but the next one up sure is. You could get the 7800 from dell as an accessory for 475 the other day, so that might an option.

Is the plain 6800 SLI capable?

If either you or your friend are remotely comfortable w/ a do-it-yourself rig, then go to newegg, or zipzoomfly, and get crackin’.

Here’s one of many buildouts that cost less than that Dell and offers better graphics, hard drive capacity and CPU Speed. You can do better than the Dell for less if you get a non-SLI mobo or a smaller hard drive, etc.

Sony Black IDE DVD Burner - $43
Antec SONATA II ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/450Watt SmartPower 2.0 - $99
Hitachi 250GB SATA II Hard Drive - $119
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Socket 939 Motherboard - $246
Corsair Value Select 1GB (2x512) DDR 400 RAM - $86
AMD Athlon64 3500+ and PNY 6800GT PCI-Express Combo - $531.99

Total $1163.77

The coupon Quaro referred to, however, is a nice deal. I like the Dell 9100’s. The inclusion of the 2005FPW and upgrades to 1GB RAM, a 160GB drive and a 6800 still keep it under $1400. Definitely worth considering. That Dell motherboard won’t be SLI capable though, nor will the Power supply of the Intel processor be as beefy.

Anybody have any idea how the p4 540 compares to the 640?

either you or your friend are remotely comfortable w/ a do-it-yourself rig, then go to newegg, or zipzoomfly, and get crackin’.

That is one of the points of contention. Both of our areas of experience end at simple things like vid cards, sound cards and RAM. Adding the motherboard, processor and power supply is another level altogether.

Although I THINK I’ve seen cases at Fry’s with the motherboard/processor already installed.

The 640 is 64-bit capable, the 540 is not. The 640 also has enhanced SpeedStep power management, which means it uses less power and runs cooler when idling or running undemanding apps.

Building computers for other people is always a bad idea. You’ll end up supporting it and you won’t even save money. The only reason to build a computer these days is if you enjoy it and it’s for you.

Go dell, with one of those deal sites like gotapex, and like the man said, buy a 9100 not a XPS.

Is the type to want to upgrade his hardware later?

Dell uses a lot of proprietary parts. The power supply has custom wiring, so you can’t swap the motherboard without putting in a new PS too. Some of the other parts are proprietary too.

If his future upgrades would be limited to the video card/hard drive/PCI card variety, a Dell’s probably the way to go. Prebuilt, warranteed, supported. But if he’s likely to want to upgrade down the road, go for a do-it-yourself.

I spent as much on my last PC as if I’d gotten a Dell. But I got somewhat faster parts, and more important, I later swapped in a new motherboard/CPU for far less than it would have cost to upgrade to a new PC.

I wouldn’t say that’s a very good price. I helped my friend pick out his hardware at Newegg last August and he had an Athlon64 3200+, a GeForce 6800 GT (AGP), a gig of DDR1, a 74 gig Raptor, etc, for around the same price that this Dell is.

The 640 is 64-bit capable, the 540 is not. The 640 also has enhanced SpeedStep power management, which means it uses less power and runs cooler when idling or running undemanding apps.

Would I see much actual difference in terms of practical performace?

You’ll knock about 20% off your power consumption and save a few bucks on your energy bills.

No, but you’d use less electricity and the system would run cooler. And if you ever want to use the 64-bit version of Windows (or Linux), you’d want the 640 instead of the 540.

Build your own Athlon 64 system. It’s gaming performance you want, right?

I find that installing motherboards and CPUs is pretty simple these days, what with ZIF sockets and SATA and cases that come with power supplies pre-installed. If you’re not going to have fun I wouldn’t do it, but I also don’t think there’s any reason to be intimidated. Do a little research on the internet and you’ll be fine.

I always build my own machine so I can specify exactly what parts go in. Much less trouble down the road.

I thought the xps were significantly better than the next step down. All the reviewers in the gaming magazines seem to think so anyway. Supposedly beefier power supplies, better cooling, better support, things like that. Have no experience myself, but was always surprised at the good scores they get, especially in the gaming roundups.

Personally, having built machines and bought prebuilts, would buy one that is made for me. Found I like unpacking the box and getting right to playing.

Definitely those 3 things are correct. There’s a pretty signifiant price jump between the 9100 and the XPS, though. The biggest difference is that the XPS’s minimum specs are higher. You can max out a 9100 pretty close to where you can max out an XPS.