Uplay Tries To Beat Origin At Trying To Beat Steam

Except for the poorly-done and annoying “always-on” DRM that started earlier than 2011-2012, I will have to give Ubisoft credit for a good track record of above-average games without being openly hostile towards consumers like Activision and EA of the past 1-2 years.

I wonder if it will be possible to redeem retail ubisoft games on Uplay, or if it is already possible. I could not find a way, and would find it useful, it is always nice to have digital backup copy. This is a feature I like with Origin, I was able to activate there most of my retail games made even when Origin was not out yet, so I do not have to use discs anymore.

Ubisoft has been incredibly idiotic with their DRM stance for the past…10 years…but I think finally they are realizing how to do it. Or at least I do not think any of their upcoming games will have always online, right?

edit: huh I now started Uplay client by itself (without starting it by launching Driver SF) and I see that among my games are already AC2, ACB and SC Conviction, ready for download. So they were added automatically only by being registered on the old version. That is great, no more using DVDs! Now if only all UBI games could be added digitally.

I have no confidence in publishers in keeping their platforms up and running. Steam is the only one I would trust with the failure of D2D and (yay!) demise of GFW Marketplace still fresh. The publisher (THQ) might have a bad quarter or get bought out or just decide it doesn’t want the cost of hosting anymore, who knows?

I just launched Anno 2070 from Steam after a few months of inactivity. I was not at all surprised, yet real disappointed to find it updating and installing Uplay. So now Steam is allowing for other clients to install through it and we’re just lucky Origin didn’t think of it by now.

Have refused to pick up Ubi on account of DRM as well. If i wanted to be treated like a pirate I’ll wear an eyepatch, arrrrr.

Uplay idea seems to turn every game in a facebook game where you have to work to get points to unlock your game. I kind of don’t want that. Probably every game that has content removed to return back based on points is made worse by it.

Steam has been selling GFWL games for years, this is the exact same thing, only better (nothing is worse than GFWL).

It isn’t UPlay more like the Rockstar Social Club, more than a “Steam client”-like software?

Ah, yes, my apologies. Seeing games I do not own on Uplay and too brief a glance caused me to think it’s an actual client allowing the purchase of items. Seems like it just shows me the Uplay achievements for the games I don’t own. My bad, sorry everyone.

^ pretty much this, when I reinstalled Anno2070 yesterday , it magically got Uplay working.

I’ve found that GFWL is the most lenient of any of these forms of DRM (Uplay, Origin, and Steamworks). I have two games that utilize it and I didn’t even have to activate them or make an account with Microsoft to play them. If all PC games were like that I’d play a hell of a lot more PC games.

I have mixed feelings. I like Steam and I really don’t want to have to deal with multiple accounts. Plus I somehow mysteriously lost access to the Dragon Age DLC content that I’m sure I paid for – I even have same games that used it that I can’t load anymore. So I have a strong distaste for an EA-owned system.

However, historically isn’t having a monopoly a bad thing and having multiple competitors in the marketplace a good thing leading to both better pricing and better product?

Which two game use GFWL and don’t need a Live account? Are you confusing GFWL with GFW?

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition and Batman: Arkham Asylum are the two I have. When I read through Microsoft’s GFWL site I was left with the impression that all GFWL games functioned in that same way.

Ah. Yes, Fallout 3 doesn’t require a sign in. I didn’t know about Batman. As far as I know, those are oddities in the GFWL world. Other game requires all sorts of awful hoops to get GFWL working if it doesn’t work straight out of the gate. Check out our I Hate GFWL thread for examples.

I’ve had my share of issues as well. GFWL is fine when everything works. When it doesn’t, it’s an asstastic load of dead end official help sites and unresponsive CS. That’s not to mention that GFWL comes with hidden install limits that vary by game. They don’t even mention this anywhere! You have to find out through painful error.

This was the page I was referring to. It states both in the How does Games for Windows — LIVE’s DRM compare to Steam’s? and How does Games for Windows — LIVE activation work? sections that offline play never requires an account or activation, though it also states that there may be other forms of DRM and installation limits attached at the publisher / developer’s discretion.

I think I remember reading about how the DD version of Batman: AA also had Securom attached, for example.

Several Origin games (of mine it was Bulletstorm, Saboteur and Dragon Age 2) don’t even require Origin to be running to be playable. That was a pleasant surprise.

The pre-Origin games that EA simply sells through Origin, yes. As far as I know, every game that’s shipped since they introduced Origin forces Origin.

I’m all for companies running their own stores and doing direct digital sales. It’s completely understandable. I am all for -competition-. Making their games exclusive to their own digital store, on the other hand, is bullshit, as is forcing me into their client even if another venue is willing to sell it.

And this really gets to a big problem I have with digital content distribution. With physical distribution, there is a good being moved around. Any store or service that decides to buy that good can then sell it or (in some cases) rent it. They don’t have to make deals with the content producer, they don’t have to renew leases or abide by certain specified prices or any of that crap. They -can-, if it gets them some benefit, but they don’t have to, because that thing is out there. With digital distribution, suddenly the rights holder has all the cards. They determine who can sell their product, when, for how long and at what price. They decide if it’s okay to rent it at all. They can shut down free competition without even blinking. They -may- decide that it’s better business for them to offer it to all and sundry, but it seems like a lot of people at this point are deciding that it’s best practice to sell it themselves, only, and cut out any and all middlemen, or maybe that they really don’t want to do this digital thing, so they’re just not going to, or they’re going to do it in the worst possible ways so people will stop wanting it.

Yeah exclusivity is a bullshit that needs to stay on consoles. But Valve games are already steam only, some EA games are already Origin only…I hope UBI will still provide their games everywhere.