Uplay Tries To Beat Origin At Trying To Beat Steam

Exclusivity on consoles forces you to buy new hardware if you want to experience everything. Exclusivity to a digital distribution platform is only annoying since you need to manage multiple libraries from different services. I hardly think they are comparable.

Would not be as big of a deal if Steam would stop resetting itself and removing all my added “non-Steam” games…

It’s more equivalent to store-exclusive games, like the one Guitar Hero or Rock Band or whatever that you could only buy from Wal-Mart. or the DS Chibi-Robo sequel that I never played because they decided it was a good idea to make a DS sequel to a weirdass Japanese Gamecube game with a very niche audience exclusive to Wal-Mart, of all places. I can’t imagine that’d be the place most people would look for that sort of thing.

And it’s bad for all the same reasons - it denies consumers choice and it prevents the competition that supposedly makes free market economics work.

Origin is required for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit bought on Steam.
AC2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction did the same (I bought all on Steam in Sales a while ago).
Due to some mistake on my side?!? my NFS key from Steam was already “used up” and so no Autolog for me (I don’t know anyone that plays NFS so it’s ok in my case otherwise it would piss me off). I entered it somewhere during installation and that was probably the wrong place.

Batman AA allows you to skip login (press ESC).
You lose cloud saving which was a small price to pay on my side.
No idea about Arkham City as I haven’t played it yet.

I had a similar issue where I had to create a second account for Battlefield 1943 due to some issues (on their end) with linking my existing account to my 360. I accidentally tied Hot Pursuit to the secondary account, I did know people playing the game, and it did piss me off, to the point that I stopped playing well before I would have otherwise. Support has been utterly unhelpful in trying to fix what was an issue on their end every time I’ve contacted them over the past few years. How hard can it be to either merge accounts or deactivate one and add that information to another existing account when I can prove I own both of them?

Sooo…

I take back any reasonable doubt I gave Ubisoft because it made me redownload all (only 1.5GB though) of From Dust when I went to play it from Capsule after performing an “update” that made Uplay the only way to play it.

I can’t wait to see if these “improvements” have affected the Steam-installed Prince of Persia and Assassin’s Creed games.

Uplay Launches:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/134525/ubisoft-uplay-pc-launches

Uplay fans rejoice! If there are, indeed, actually Uplay fans. Also, didn’t this already happen?

Yeah, the first post was when it launched. Is this the big “Hey, we’re here too!” announcement?

Uplay is a big bag of dicks. Game progress in Splinter Cell Conviction was lost due to how uPlay manages its cloud.

Nobody noticed, I guess, so they thought they would do it again?

Uplay also takes 30 seconds to even appear/load for me.

For me too!!! It’s awful. Do they even play their own games on it (outside of running it off their own network)?

mine took forever to update, and all I saw was a slow ass moving blue bar, no percentages or time left. I walked away for 30 minutes or so and it was done.

Is Ubi/EA trying to come up with “digital content delivery” system is a race to the DRM bottom?

Wouldn’t touch with a 10-foot pole.

I trust Ubi with their servers are much as I do EA… as in not at all.

Oh well, less AAA title to buy and play. At this time and age, with so many excellent catalogue of games available and so little time, I am not going to miss Ass Creed 3 at all.

Who publishes XCom Enemy Unknown? I hope it is not EA or Ubi! That is the one game that I am looking forward to.

You can always get them for your PS3 :-)

XCOM:EU is published by 2K I believe, so it hopefully has STEAMWORKS. crosses fingers

I can’t think of a 2K game in recent memory that wasn’t Steamworks. Max Payne 3, Spec Ops, Borderlands 2, Civ 5 all require Steam. I’m sure XCOM will too.