Uplay Tries To Beat Origin At Trying To Beat Steam

Hugs 2K!

Stolen from another forum:

According to the forums for Ubisoft’s brand new Ubiplay Ubishop (god, I hate those names), any game you buy on UPlay is only downloadable for a month. After that, you have to rebuy it, or must have already bought the extended download option or a backup disc.

So, for instance, you pay 3 euros 99 for Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, but to be able to download it for more than a month, you then have to pay an extra 6 euros 99 for an extended download license.

Yep. I can see Ubisoft doing well with their new store :)

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/683000-Wow-that-s-some-beastly-DRM-you-got-thar-Ubi-Forums

I think the last non-steamworks game from 2k was bioshock 2.

And even though uPlay sucks, at least it’s a (small) step up from that stupid digital river crap they were using, which had that 30 day download limit.

U bishop?

Yeah, a couple of my very old purchases showed up in Uplay when I installed it for this promo. Games I had been warned to back up if I didn’t want to be charged for future downloads. I’m sure what Rebel44 heard is just the old policy, which the new Uplay supersedes. I had no problem initiating a download of Splinter Cell: Conviction from a couple years ago. They are promoting the ability to redownload in the new app.

WTF? This is for real?

No, it isn’t.

Any game you have registered to a Uplay account is accessible through UPlay in perpetuity, just like Steam or Origin. (Note that that thread was created in June, before UPlay was expanded into a full store).

This is true for the Ubisoft website store, though (not UPlay) (which I think is defunct now, anyway).

I dunno , I have Settlers 7 registered and I don’t see anywhere I would be able to download it from on Uplay. (not currently installed on my PC)

Anno2070 shows up, but also doesn’t provide a download link. (but its already installed so maybe thats why)

When you launch the UPlay client and go to the games tab you should see all your Uplay registered games with that account available for download (are you using the correct account? I had somehow created two accounts, so it could be an account issue). I can see and download all my registered games there (including Settlers 7). If you can’t, I would contact Ubisoft support.

For new games it is either retail or Steam for me. Yeah, it sucks that Valve is going to take 30% – work with them to change that. I’m hoping that EA, UbiSoft, etc. will continue to have their games on Steam as well.

I just stopped following Ubisoft altogether recently and today unsubscribed from the newsletters they send out. They pretty much hate PC gaming so might as well ignore that they exist at all.

You have been able to unsubscribe from their news letters? Each time I get one, I hit that link, then it asks me to enter my mail (or it has some kind of box with a button), then I click the button to unsubscribe and get an error message. I have not gotten an update from them in a month or so. Maybe the next time I get one it will work. I always report it as spam on Gmail though.

Now that I think of it… perhaps both of the unsubscribe links were sent to the same email account. I just figured I was signed up with two different email accounts.

I’ll have to recheck. Guess i’ll just “report it as spam” and let Google handle it.

Shots fired!

Ubisoft is beginning a major expansion of its digital distribution presence today: The company is now selling games from other studios and publishers through the Uplay Shop, its online store, and has also begun selling its own games through Electronic Arts’ competing service, Origin.

Chris Early, Ubisoft’s vice president of digital publishing, told Polygon in a recent phone interview that the simultaneous moves are being made with one principal goal: to give Uplay’s 50 million users more options for buying and playing Ubisoft games.

Uplay customers can pre-order third-party games through the Shop, too, such as the Limited Edition of EA’s upcoming SimCity. Going forward, said Early, third-party titles “will be releasing at the same time, day and date, as all the other digital channels.” And from today through March 4, anybody who buys a digital PC game that’s at least $19.90 will receive a free downloadable copy of Driver: San Francisco Deluxe Edition, From Dust, Might & Magic Heroes 6 Deluxe Edition, Rayman Origins, The Settlers 7 Gold Edition or World in Conflict: Complete Edition.

“uPlay’s 50 million users.”

This is odd. You see Origin doesn’t want to sell through steam because they want to get the whole cut. Yet if they sell through u-play, don’t they lose out on the whole cut of the profits? If they do not mind, then why not sell them on Steam? Although as a preferred Steam user I would very much like a giant warning on any game sold saying it requires Origin to play.

EA and Ubi don’t necessarily want to kill steam (although they would shed few tears). They just don’t want steam to become the iTunes store.

I actually have no problem with that. I’d rather see multiple stores. I just wish origin and particularly uplay didn’t fellate goats.

The big flap between EA/Origin and Valve/Steam was that Valve wanted any DLC sold for a game available as a separate purchase through Steam, and they wanted their cut of the sale. EA wanted the right to sell DLC through their games without giving up a portion of the sale through Steam.

Presumably, EA and Origin worked this out because they are both selling each other’s games through their respective clients.

And Origin has 40 million. Kinda easy to pad numbers through forced usage…just like Steam.

Show me where Steam claimed 40m-50m users. Valve releases two numbers, concurrent users and number of accounts. They don’t conflate shit. Hell they have a usage tracker right here:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

They also don’t have an obligation to blow smoke up the asses of shareholders who know nothing about video games or gamers.