Uplay Tries To Beat Origin At Trying To Beat Steam

I’m probably one of those 50 and 40 million users and I don’t have either Origin or Uplay installed on my system now. I would like to see the number of concurrent users for each system. Steam displays theirs. How about Origin and Uplay?

Just to clarify, I believe you mean “EA and Ubisoft.”

Typical Ubisoft. They say buying any Digital PC game for 19.90 gets you a free game, and yet in reality, they have a specific list of Digital PC games that would qualify you for the promo.

On the other hand they did announced in their website that Settlers 7 and Hawkx’ always ON-DRM has been removed.

Whoah! No way!

Trust, but verify!!

The Steam versions have not been updated (yet) so maybe it’s just for the direct Uplay versions. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Where did they announce this?

So in reality, people despise uplay with an unholy vengeance and they have crap for a true base. They beg EA for Cross promotional sales and make up ridiculous numbers.

For this to happen, have to think ubisofts digital numbers were terriboe and getting worse. For the first time in a while there’s no ubisoft game I’m looking forward to.

Check out the frontpage of the uplay site:

Settlers 7 and Hawx 2 now playable in offline mode
Following the integration of offline mode within both Settlers 7 and Hawx 2, all Ubisoft games can now be played when Uplay PC is not connected to the Internet.

The Uplay PC client will automatically switch to offline mode when online connection is not available.

Should you want to manually switch to offline mode, you can do so by clicking the “Always start Uplay in offline mode” box in the Settings of the Uplay Client, available from the login screen or the top menu bar.

Show you?..sure:

In the Steam thread you and others were oohing and aahing over Steam’s user numbers, and giving me shit over my saying they weren’t that impressive and weren’t all earned. I was merely pointing out, both then and now, how easy it is to “earn” 50 million users when you force people to use your products given that even EA and Ubisoft, two of the most hated companies in gaming, can tout 40-50 million users at such an early stage in their digital distribution lives.

In the face of Steam and the extreme hit or miss nature of AAA console games these last few years, it makes sense for all the new DD AAA publisher led systems to join together to help each other out, it also fits perfectly into the modern publisher culture of ‘them’(the publisher) vs ‘us’(the customer).

And a gamasutra article on this shift:

Not sure about EA, but Ubisoft’s numbers probably take into account the iOS gamers who are likewise using Uplay when they play Ubisoft games on their mobile devicers.

Yep we know and all we ask is for Uplay and origin to show us concurrent users so we can compare that would be enough, bet they won’t though as there real figures are so much lower than steams.

i bought BF3 in the origin sale… damn… what a DRM clusterfuck that one is. I had no idea. The joys of being a PC gamer lol.

If that’s your interpretation of what was going on, then you’re still being kind of an idiot about it. Your interpretation seems to be that people defending Steam is one of Steam bias, but even in your link it shows concurrent users. Steam has no reason to conflate numbers to its users, and so it doesn’t release silly press releases that skew the situation, and that was my point.

Undoubtedly.

Now the other crappy DRM needs to be addressed, Anno for example. It’s nice to see them addressing the others though.

If I recall correctly, but I’m not really sure with regards to Anno 2070, the DRM has been changed - you supposedly get an activation back every 30 days. But I’m not sure, I haven’t changed my system yet so Anno 2070’s DRM hasn’t reacted to anything. It just sits there passively watching me play Anno 2070 every day.

In relation to activation limits, there should be a way to manually deactivate an installation instead of relying on getting 1 back every 30 days.

F’ing Ubisoft. Their tech support is lousy. Origin’s client has them beat plus EA actually has live people you can talk to when you have a problem. You’d think Ubisoft is based in China with their Great Silent Wall of Tech Support not responding to your cries of help. This is a cautionary tale for anyone buying a Ubisoft game from GetGamesGo:

Bought Settlers 7 Deluxe Gold from GetGames, I initially paid with a credit card and then got a game key. Unfortunately my credit card rejected the sale and GetGames cancelled the game key, all without telling me. When I entered the game key, I was slapped with a temporary ban, GetGames finally issued me a new key after I paid them this time through Paypal, but now I can’t input the proper game key because of Uplay’s account ban.

I’ve already sent a message through support, but I merely got an automated response. There is no one to talk to in Ubisoft’s end. On the other hand when I was having problems in Origin about rejected keys, my account didn’t get banned and a quick chat with a EA tech support person got me a new game key and a 25% discount code on my next purchase.

As got GetGamesGo personnel, they said they can’t help me and hopefully my ban will get lifted soon.

Banned for entering the key? What the fuck?

I’d say I was surprised except… Uplay. How is it possible this thing is still so bad?

I wish they didn’t publish so many games that I love to play. I hate that it may convey the idea that their software isn’t complete shit and people don’t mind using it. I do mind. But I am also deathly afraid that they will stop publishing series like Anno and Settlers if I don’t buy them.

Well my temporary ban got lifted automatically by the system. Apparently it lasts for 1 hour, but every time you try to log back in, the timer resets. Those dumbasses at Ubisoft didn’t even put a notice in the client that the ban lasts for an hour and that attempts to continue to log in will only reset the timer. So a guy who is panicking who continues to try to log back in every few mins will end up repeating the cycle over and over again.I finally was able to play Settlers 7 with the new key after I waited for 2 hours and read the hidden 1 hour info from another forum.

However both the tech support of Ubisoft as the publisher and GetGamesGo as the re-seller really suck.

I hate Uplay as much as the next guy, but this honestly sounds more like a failing with GetGamesGo – especially since I’ve heard tales of GGG’s issues with accepting payment from a few of my friends.