Urtuk: The Desolation -- tactical RPG

Nice writeups, @Coldsteel - Is there any kind of base or housing in the game?

I am starting to worry myself. Maybe just maybe I will resist.

Don’t. It is already super polished for an early access title and great to play.

Dastactic did some nice videos on it although @Coldsteel I think has gone further than Das did.

There is not. No fixed bases though you can liberate towns and fortresses which you ‘own’ afterwards.
The game’s story is about Urtuk who was experimented on and mutated in the Sanatorium research facility and escaped with the help of some friends. He is searching for a cure for his mutation and is constantly being chased by bounty hunters sent by the Sanatorium to get him back. So, you’re on the move, hunting for the cave entrance to the next zone.

The towns you own provide you with resources (diminishing over time). You can run to a fortress you own and use it to hold off the bounty hunters when they send out a pack after you.

Urtuk’s mutation progresses after a while in the game and he starts picking up new traits tied to it. Most are positive but some are negative (like reduced HP).

The combat mechanics are well thought out. The middle difficulty level is just right for me - I can win the battles but still lose the game because of injuries. Makes the overall game challenging trying to balance your resources and crew.

The difficulty I am having is that if Urtuk dies game over (receives two injuries). I thought I had healed up Urtuk but did have him fight since I only had six members and chose not take him out of the lineup. He died with one enemy left. Serves me right not paying attention that I had moved him in range of the last bad guy.

Trying to learn how to use the right mutagen with the right class is very interesting too.

I will say that I have never seen another Berserker or Priest class try to join the party so I would pick the suggested classes when you start a game.

I went the default priest class for Urtuk and he’s never been injured. I can’t imagine trying to survive battles without him because he provides the support my other characters need to keep from dying. Every turn he casts aegis or lifesteal on somebody. He has the quick thinker mutator so I starts every battle with 2 additional aegis as focus skills ready to cast. He also has a mutator that gives him an additional 60 focus so he builds focus really fast leading to more aegis casts. He really keeps everyone alive and is indispensable.

I keep hoping I can recruit another priest or shaman in case his mutation starts to affect him too much down the road but no luck so far. I’d also like another hunter. They are like bandit marksmen in Battle Brothers. Great to have some and a real PITA to fight. They are my first priority to take out in every fight.

I was weak. Downloading now. As if I need yet another great game to play! Thank you, @Coldsteel , and all the other enablers in this thread. My wallet probably hates you right now. ;)

How long is a campaign? Is it a good roguelike that would feel interesting to replay if you die, or a bad roguelite where you’re going through the same motions?

Urtuk you long enough!

Each play through is different. From the map, team members that join, to which mutators appear as drops. In my last game I had two Hunters and two Guardians. I have not yet played with many of the other classes and they say they are planning to add more types.

I usually give Urtuk Brilliant mind since it ups his Concentration (as a Priest this is very helpful).

The game is a lot of fun and if you like tactics you are going to like this.

The one thing is that I have not run into any female classes yet (At least I do not think any of the characters are female but I could be wrong).

There are 50 classes in this game and he’s adding more. They all play very differently too (at least the ones I’ve tried). It’s hard to believe this is being made by one man. He must be some kind of savant.

So I bought it and am nearly at two hours in. I might still ask for a refund, but only because of my backlog (including Deity Empires). Kind of on the fence.

Is there a way to change the combat order? In other words, if Urtuk is next guy up, can I skip him and come back. I know about Wait, but that skips the round entirely.

No, there’s no wait like in Battle Brothers. It’s all on turn a speed order timer. That’s why I like the light foot trait so much. It keeps me from getting stuck behind someone because of turn order.

Thanks.

Btw, I found this video helpful.

That is exceptionally high praise coming from you.

@coldsteel stop it right now, I insist sir! My willpower ain’t that strong to begin with.

There’s a lot going on on my overworld map now these days. The further I get in the game, the more stuff seems to happen. That nice relic I took from the swampers after I captured their city? Well, apparently they want it back now. They’ve sent a war party to retrieve it from me and are only a day away from me.

I got an event that’s caused some seismic activity for 12 days. During battles, pools of boiling water will randomly spring up at times, which can be good or bad. Last night they sprang up right on a group of werebeasts I was fighting, which certainly helped my cause.

There are now lots of various parties wandering around the map with me each turn creating various problems and opportunities. For example, collected in the same camp just south of me are 3 different parties. The first party apparently just has a party size of 1. The tooltip for it says people are complaining about something killing their animals and draining their blood. The second party’s tooltip says an ugly beast named ‘Wafeld’ has been wandering the lands and some locals have been taken away by this monstrosity. That one is a party of 4. The last one is a band of 7 scavengers searching for easy prey. All interesting and well and good but right now the black market just to my north has a group of angry swamper worshipers of the relic (with their damned poison blow-darters) on their way to me. I’m waiting for them in my fortress. After I’ve dealt with them, I’ve got another party of bounty hunters to take care of.

I’m 33 hours into the campaign now and have explored roughly half of the first zone. There are a total of 3 zones in the campaign, so a long way to go yet.

That sounds crazy. And to have that many hours in and be so early in.

Really interested to see if the scaling and gameplay holds up in the later zones.