US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

It’s possible Grima Wormtongue, er, Stephen Miller, may not be the sharpest policy advisor.

Hey guys, I think maybe Trump’s not as good at this whole deal making thing as we were led to believe.

B-b-b-but he told me he was! And I have no ability to reason, so I believed him!

You might be watching too many sport’s under-dog movies. Sometimes a win against the the team dominating everything is actually meeting them on the field and then showing everyone their winning streak is not a foregone conclusion anymore.In fact, they didn’t really win. You can’t always beat them to death the first time you face them. That doesn’t mean the newer group left losers though or like somehow cheated themselves out of some prophetic win.

You want to see that wall taken care of…get more Democrats elected and tilt it more in their favor, preferably the presidency, next year.

But Trump doesn’t care about the GOP. It’s all just about him. So he can spin this to his base as, “I didn’t fail you. They did.”

He hasn’t been able to shake off his blame for this shutdown. He has a grip, but it’s not exactly the same as it was.

Yeah, but at this point, the base is all he’s got.

It’s fear of the base that keeps the rest of the GOP in line.

Think Rocky battling Apollo for the full 15 rounds in the first movie, even though he eventually loses in a split decision. Almost took down the champ and will inevitably win the rematch because Pelosi’s in the corner and isn’t going to take Trump’s shit. Or something - look, the analogy isn’t perfect but the Russians do factor in eventually. Why is Mr. T on the GOP’s side though? That’s the question - seems like he’s definitely going against his self interest.

He needs more than his base to win. He got more than his base when he did win. People who voted for Trump last time hold Trump and the GOP reasonable for the shutdown, and they’re not happy about it. It’s possible they over estimated how well the Democrats would do in this last election, and the results of their Tax Cuts will hurt them again, and they don’t have the house seats they were expecting to have in the bank when that happens.

A remarkable fight, but he did lose.

I do look forward to the rematch.

Apollo ends up dead by overestimating himself.

Rocky ends up champion.

Normalizing President’s declaring national emergencies to get their priorities passed seems like the obvious next step in the devolution of American democracy.

If someone can get me to the wall I’ll prove them wrong… and I’m on Oxygen. Seriously, I can do it. Man I would so love to embarrass the hell out of him.

I pity the fool!

Oh, we’ve definitely broken a seal. And not the cute kind on San Francisco docks.

Profiles in courage…

Dems completely wiped the floor with Trump and the GOP here. He can declare his emergency, and then we can watch this get tied up in the courts. Even the GOP stacked SCOTUS might not look to kindly on this action.

Trump possibly going to sign and then declare a national emergency to fund the wall from DHS funds.

Meanwhile…