US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

$20 billion for a stupid wall is nothing compared to what the next Democratic President will get from various national emergencies. This is the dumbest-possible move for Trump, and he had a lot of dumb possible options.

What does he care? He’ll be done being president and so very much wealthier for the effort. Unless he goes to prison forever. Rags or riches, so he’s all in on his bad hand, and will do anything needed to up his chances, without regard for legality, morality, or ethics. Or the future repurcussions of his actions for a country he views as his personal profit playground.

link

He should care very much, because it’s likely he’s damaged his own brand irretrievably as president, and more likely that instead of jail time what he might actually face, post-presidency, is asset seizures.

The really cynical thing here is the shrug and “who cares?” from Republicans in the House and Senate on this.

Because what that actually means is: “We’re pretty confident that when Democrats regain power in most of the government, they’ll enact legislation to prevent a Democratic president from shit like this.”

We really are the grownups in the room.

Our current Supreme Court will definitely uphold Trump’s national emergency declaration and knock down a following Democratic president’s national emergency declarations on climate or anything else.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming.

1. It won’t get to the Supremes for a while, especially suits over eminent domain seizures.
  2. John Roberts has seems like a justice who’ll be pretty hard to convince to the Trump point of view on this.

That was fucking brilliant.

There’s a tweet for everything…

I don’t know - his brand seems to be doing fine with the people he cares about. No lack of members at mar a lago. Now he would care about asset seizures, but my guess is he’s too stupid to know that could happen. He’s used to deciding something, having his lackies do it, and lawyering up to stifle any legal actions. It’s worked well for him up to know after all.

What he should care about and what he actually does care about are not the same. I’m not arguing that his best path is to double down and keep breaking laws and further degrtade our democracy, just that I think that’s how he’s thinking.

Not that DJT has ever read or has ever given a shit about the Constitution other than when he’s wiping his ass with it.

His brand is hurting.

Huh. Odd. ;)

People have figured out his Scottish golf club was empty even before his brand turned toxic and is probably just a money laundering operation.

Jesus. Most of the money goes to all the wrong people.

“When I bought, it had to do with the Trump name. It was a respected name,” says Terry Gould, who sold two condos in his Trump Vegas tower last year out of frustration with what he says was the puny income from them

Before we were shifted into this regrettable timeline I might have stayed in a Trump hotel if it fit the circumstances. I thought the guy was a buffoon but I didn’t dislike him enough to boycott his hotel. Now, I’d pay more to stay elsewhere because I don’t want a penny of my money going towards him. I can’t be the only person who feels like that.

I still feel shame for liking The Apprentice, but at least it was back when his children didn’t ruin it entirely.

There’s always a tweet: