US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Really? So if the Democratic platform were “Same thing that Trump wants, but not as much. Also no shutdown.” then that would be OK?

I have higher expectations. Maybe I’m just more willing to risk disappointment.

If you had a brother, would he like cheese?

That’s one possible explanation, but not a likely one.

You literally said that you wanted no shutdown and a wall, but for less money.

Look up literally.

There was always going to be money for something on the border. Democrats needed it to cover their flank against the “they don’t care about the border” attack. They set pretty stringent requirements that the money not be spent on a wall.

want is to spend as little as possible on the dumb wall and to avoid another shutdown

Didn’t you agree that we you wanted to avoid a shutdown, and to spend on a wall, but as little as possible?

Are you really 12 years old? That’s the important question at this point.

No. But I can admit that I didn’t want any spending on a wall, at all, and failed to get what I wanted.

What I don’t understand is someone reacts to the news with the equivalent of a shrug and “That’s OK, I really didn’t want that anyway”. Because that’s what a 12 year old who is afraid of failure says.

It’s OK to admit you could’ve done better.

Of course. The foolish part — the childish part — is to equate could have done better with lost. Especially when the price of what you count as a real victory is fucking up people’s lives.

Looks like we’ll have about 200-210 Democratic ayes in the House, and about 80-90 GOP ayes.

That’s probably not the perfect scenario for Democrats, but it’s a terrible scenario for Trump having to sign a bill that the majority of his party’s House caucus wouldn’t support.

When Ryan and McConnell gave the same amount to Trump last year, did that feel like a win to you? I don’t recall so much cheering.

Yes. It was as sharp a slap in the face as I could have imagined those cretins giving Trump.

In any event, we disagree, that that seems unlikely to change.

Passes with 213 Democrats and 87 Republicans. 19 Dems voted no.

Yup, $5.7 billion isn’t a lot of money $50 billion is.

OK, so it sounds like we win as long as he gets a lot less than he asked for.

I think I see a flaw in your negotiating strategy.

I sincerely hope that there aren’t a whole lot of people like you out there that think compromise of any sort is losing. We’ve had enough of that sort of tribalism in this country to last a lifetime.

I can’t wait to find out who won.

Sneak peek: It was the Loyal Servants of Arthur. You read it here first.

There are like, a gajillion things in the budget that Democrats want.