US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

I hope it’s a short shutdown, but it’s all up to Trump. He should not be given a penny for his mythical vanity wall. Fuck him.

same response to both of ya
@RichVR

Then they should open the government.

My point is this is ALL trump and Republicans shutdown. They own it., Its on them to fix it. Democrats just need to keep saying “nope” until Republicans fix the mess they created. Easy.

Dont give into blackmail.

And yes I feel terrible for the government folks who are being hurt by this. They should be blaming Trump as well.

Just because Democrats are normal people who care doesn’t mean its on them to fix Trumps mistakes. Its him and Republicans who are to blame, nobody else.

You willing to fly without pre-flight security checks for passengers?

The TSA annoys me too, and a lot of what they do is nonsense, it seems. But…them standing down isn’t an option, either.

In fact, it’s likely that it would result in a grounding of all flights.

This is brutal.

The people getting fucked over aren’t the guys keeping the government shut down.

Hilariously, those guys are still getting paid.

This isn’t to say that the Democrats should cave and give Trump his stupid wall. They should not.

But you shouldn’t say that you are fine with the government being shut down. You shouldn’t be ok with that.

Yeah, I am. I ride the bus without them. I walk through the mall without them. I drive on the freeway without them. I take harbor cruises, sleep in hotel rooms, and go see movies without them…

Anyone ever used a bus – without a bomb in it – to bring down a skyscraper, threaten the Pentagon, and kill a few thousand people all in one fell swoop?

(The designation of “without a bomb” is important and germane. The very act of purchasing the bomb-making materials capable of doing damage similar to that inflicted on 9-11-2001 is either very, very difficult or brings one under almost immediate scrutiny of law enforcement.)

Planes went down before 09/11, but more than that, the TSA has been found to be largely ineffective. They fail like every test they are given but they got milk and water covered.

How many were deliberately used as weapons of moderately large destruction?

The TSA is terrible. Getting rid of passenger security checks at an airport is worse.

And the point is moot, because in the eyes of Strategic Air Command and the FAA, that’s a full grounding, regardless of our own personal braveries and willingness to do without.

Yes in a sane world you’d be right. But the actual world we live in, they’ll just cancel all air travel. I’m almost positive there are laws requiring passengers to be screened before boarding a commercial aircraft in the US.

Sorry but the no fly days after 9/11 weren’t an experience I don’t want to repeat.

We had what 3 planes out of how many used as weapons of mass destruction that killed less people than several other incidents around the world that we barely even get in the news cycle?

The percentage is tiny. The TSA is bad at what they do. We’ve implemented a lot of other protocols since then and none of that stopped the guy who just took a jet for a joyride and could have done the same thing.

Yeah, I’d be fine without the checkpoints because… they don’t actually work.

And just to be clear, yeah I know it was a tragedy. I know people who still can’t go to the site, and I can’t look at any footage, real or fiction that doesn’t still trigger either but that doesn’t change anything. The TSA can’t actually do what it is intended to do. They’re better at getting bottles of water than actual knives.

You’re right. And I have no beef with the people in the TSA trying to do an impossible job. But I really detest security theater. It reflects a national culture of fear that manifests itself in myriad terrible ways.

In the words of Richard Clarke testifying to congress, it didn’t happen before because no one imagined it.

Now someone has imagined and done it. The threat that someone will try it again is now sadly greatly magnfied.

Except planes being flown into buildings was not something someone came up with in 2001.

It was something that got broadcast on worldwide television nonstop in 2001, and proved to be very effective at damaging the US economy and making the people of the US do a lot of crazy things.

You’re implying that flying planes into something as a weapon was something not imagined before. That’s simply not true.

I didn’t imply anything. You did.

I read out Richard Clarke’s quote to congress.

Indeed

I agree 100%. To me the really sad thing about TSA, is they employees lots of vets. Many of whom spent a bunch time manning check points in Iraq and Afghanistan were they had to face actual threats and not vastly exaggerated ones. But somehow TSA has managed to beat out any common sense and initiative that was fairly common in a warzone and turned them into drone playing their roles in the Kabuki theater that is the TSA.

TSA is example #1 in why I don’t trust federal government programs to provide actual solutions to real problems.