US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Four?

Curiously enough, I was in San Rafael (CA) last night waiting for Mrs. Kub, and noticed a plaque in honor of a San Rafael resident who was on Flight 93. Immediately brought me back to this discussion, as well as when Mrs. Kub and I stopped at a rest stop in PA where they were building the National Memorial a few years back (open now, I guess). Both were (are) very powerful.

IMHO, bombs more than handguns.

Not that surprisingly, Cory Gardner think there should be a deal, with or without a border wall deal.

I find it very hard to think that Trump wins anything from this. He basically blew any leverage he could possibly have had, before the negotiations even started.

No one but Trump and his idiots care about the wall.

This whole ordeal is just painful to most of the reasons at this point.

Couple that with the market continuing to tank, and him screwing foreign policy, and getting increasingly nuts as the Democrats start actually conducting oversight?

Trump’s gonna crack, and everyone is gonna abandon him.

The problem really is how Dems could actually do a deal with Trump anyway. Like if Pelosi said we’ll trade $5 billion for the wall for protection for Dreamers and DACA, Trump can say whatever he wants, but he can’t make McConnell put that together.

So where can Trump really go? He can’t cave, but he can’t make a deal. I think this shutdown is gonna go on a really long time.

Isn’t he just interested in his popularity now? As in a second run for president? How far does it have to drop before he gets the message?

Idiots don’t get these messages. He will never question his popularity, so we can’t count on that being how this ends. The pressure will have to come from Congressional Republicans.

Until Fox and Rush/Coulter/Hannity turn on him.

I think he wants to stay where he is for two reasons. Neither reason may be wise.

One, his campaign is still busy raising money for his 2020 run. I bet he thinks that he’ll be able to pocket the remainder after all is said and done, even if his slush fund Foundation was ordered to close down. So he might as well keep squeezing his fans for cash.

Two, he is using the Oval Office, figuratively, like a medieval felon uses a cathedral, for sanctuary. Whether or not the courts would side with the “you can’t indict a sitting president” custom, if he gives up that sanctuary, I think it’s more likely he’ll be in jail.

Another meme from Trump’s Instagram:

Bingo. It’s about getting the adulation of the crowd who still chants lock her up

I think TSA (along with Air Traffic Controllers) should simply strike. I’m not sure if it is even a strike if they aren’t being paid. The AFGE Union is suing the Federal Government for forcing government workers to work without pay, based on depressions era law that saying that even the Federal Government must pay workers a minimum wage. If they don’t get a paycheck next Friday, I’d hope they’d just do that.

Right now there doesn’t seem to be any particular urgency by either party to get this settled. But I think shutting down air travel would actually get Congress to get to work , if for no other reasons is they’d be stuck in Washington.

Escape From New York had this too.

Anyway, Trump’s base may be enjoying the shutdown right now. Chaos can be thrilling I guess. And I’m not sure if Congress is going to override Trump’s vetos. We’ll see. I’m leaning toward “no”.

National parks are getting seriously trashed right now. I wonder what shape they will be in when the shutdown is over. Vandalism? Illegal use of vehicles on trails/paths?

Ummm, can we wait until I return from France on Wednesday please? :-)

Can’t you be a team player and take a bus or hitchhike???

This morning the talking heads were discussing a DACA for border wall sort of deal to end the shutdown. Why would the Democrats do this? Some sort of path to citizenship for Dreamers has been shown to be a bipartisan issue that even many Republicans support. Why would the Democrats let Trump & cronies off the hook on the shutdown as well as give him money for the wall in exchange for something both parties want? That seems like it’d end up being a big win for Trump. He gets the wall, ends the shutdown, and shows how non-racist he is by helping out the Dreamers, right?

I love that the Dems sent the Senate essentially the bill they agreed to already and said basically, “this was your proposal, learn how to say yes.”

Dare I hope that McConnell may hang himself on this one? There are already two Republican defectors in the Senate and that number is only going to increase over time. His “leadership” is hanging the Senate Republicans our to dry. This is a stupid hill to die on and I think he’s going to face a revolt.