US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

I mean, it may not work. But of the plays for House Democrats to make, it’s a good avenue to try.

Do you think it will make it to the floor in the senate?

I honestly don’t know. Maybe about a 1 in 3 chance to start? Mitch McConnell is not in a happy place, but I suspect he and also the RNC are putting private polls into the field (and I’d imagine the DNC and Democratic leadership is, too) to see what public opinion is looking like on this shutdown.

Will be interesting to see. Personally, it bothers me that one individual completely controls what gets onto the floor.

Me too. I suspect that Republicans aren’t yet feeling much pressure about the shutdown. Pelosi’s goal is to try to amp up that pressure a bit. Will be fascinating to see it play out next week in real time.

Trump just flies in his own planes, he doesn’t give a crap.

Well yeah. He’s the President. He’s required to use Air Force One.

I meant in the broader sense, that he doesn’t even really understand how normal people deal with air travel.

Just thought I’d point out this episode from September of the National Security Law podcast for people interested.

It’s a deep dive on the landmark national emergency SC case “Youngstown Sheet & Tube v. Sawyer” and separation of powers. Pretty fascinating given our current “crisis”.

https://www.nationalsecuritylawpodcast.com/episode-89-a-deep-dive-into-the-steel-seizure-case-youngstown-sheet-tube-v-sawyer/

Got there from this article:

This is the only way out for Trump:

1. Trump declares “national emergency” and says he’s taking money from the military budget to pay for the wall, and that construction is beginning immediately. The military kinda shrugs knowing that’s not how it works, but whatever.
  2. Congress passes the existing bills and Trump signs them, declaring victory.
  3. He’s immediately sued, and all funds for the wall are blocked, but…
  4. He continues to say that the wall is being built, or that it’s already built, and his supporters just believe him.

Everyone wins.

I forgot:

1. For the 2020 election, Trump repeatedly and continually asserts that there is now a huge, 30ft unassailable wall built during his first term, and that illegal immigration and crime are down because of it. There will be no evidence for this, and the wall doesn’t actually exist.

This argument has always been one that has made sense to me. Still, it doesn’t answer a lot of questions I have. One of the more pertinent ones not being discussed in the public narrative I have: if “The Wall™” does not get built what is your counter to the threat North Korea made of sending backpack nukes into the US? I’ve been along hundreds of miles of the border. It’s wide open. So when North Korea made that threat I was really shaken.

Thank you. I looked for one and did not see this.

Chris Wallace at least stands up to the lies

This seems like a completely unrelated concern.

A wall isn’t going to protect you from such a thing.

You think that they are going to miniaturize a nuclear device, transport it here without us knowing… But then be stopped by… Having to climb 30 feet?

That’s nonsensical.

“We spent all this time developing a mini-nuke… if only we had researched ladders!”

There’s also our huge, mostly open border with Canada, and the East and West coasts, where you could just drive a boat up onto some remote beach.

If the thing that worries you about a non-existent North Korean backpack nuke is how they are crossing the border, you should probably get your underground bunker prepped now.

This doesn’t address my experience on the border this whole question is based on though. As I said I’ve been there and it’s wide open. So for me being told a thirty foot barrier being placed in that area would not prevent someone, or a team of someones, from walking right in is actually nonsensical. What would make sense would be assurances that solution B is better than solution A. Since that isn’t being presented I remain unconvinced and still a little more than worried about the situation on the border.

Yes also a big concern. Getting a boat onto a beach or getting contraband into the US from the northern route is different than the southern route.

Lol you realize there are barriers and other ways to detect crossers now, right? And we haven’t been nuked yet, even though there are regimes that would have liked to.

This is just straight up fake fear mongering. You want to spend $20 billion+ for a non existent threat.

You build that wall but then you still have to deal with the trained nuclear pterodactyls that just fly over it.

There’s also the stealth blimps that we should all be worried about.