US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Sure, but they could have done the Wall thing then, as part of that. Couldn’t they?

It’s pretty clear that a number of Rep Senators are tepid at best on the idea of spending tens of billions on a wall.

Yes, Schumer and Pelosi know that he has no credibility. They would never do a deal with him.

Republicans are banking on some miracle to get a budget passed next week, apparently.

Full control of the government and they can’t even pass a budget funding 25% of it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-13/gop-lacks-plan-to-avert-shutdown-as-congress-set-to-leave-town

More detail in this story about what the shutdown would mean. It’s relatively modest, but it’ll get a TON of bad press going into Christmas.

About 75 percent of the government’s $1.2 trillion fiscal 2019 operating budget is already funded, so the effects of a shutdown would be limited.

Agencies that would be affected include Homeland Security, though many of its law enforcement agents would remain on the job because they’re considered essential. National parks would remain open but most employees who maintain them would be sent home. The Securities and Exchange Commission would halt new investigations except where needed to protect property. The Defense Department is funded and would operate normally.

Heh, this is probably the point.

Here we go …

The meat of the shit sandwich:

The House and Senate left town Thursday with no strategy to avert a partial government shutdown next week, putting Congress on the brink of an intractable conflict that could drag out through New Year’s Day — furloughing hundreds of thousands of workers and costing taxpayers millions.

Frustrated lawmakers in both parties are complaining that congressional leaders have made zero progress since Tuesday, when Trump stunned even his fellow Republicans by boasting that he would take the blame for the closure of a dozen federal agencies if he doesn’t get money for his border wall.

The House isn’t planning to return until the night of Dec. 19 — leaving only about 72 hours to reach a border wall deal that has eluded both parties for months.

Democrats say they’re waiting on Republicans, and Republicans say they’re waiting on Trump.

I think folks are just assuming that they aren’t going to do anything with the wall, and then Trump is going to sign the budget anyway because he’s bluffing and he’s a coward.

If that’s what they are planning, it’s s solid plan.

Because Trump is in fact a bluffing coward.

I 100% agree with you. Hell, he probably won’t even remember his tirade three days from now. But hey, he’s cleared by his doctor of anything wrong with him, including senility.

I’ve got a few bricks I’d like to contribute to the wall. Can I just toss 'em to y’all at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

I love this story. Let’s combine all the fun of cryptocurrency and useless wall together! I actually wish they’d do it. Let the people who want the wall pay for it.

Now that’s some fiat money there.

Yep great idea!

Hopefully they won’t suggest that for social security or something else.

As expected, Trump blinks. What a weakling.

Not sure it’s a blink per se if it means, for example, that he misappropriates defence funding for the remainder.

He may think he can do that, but he’s not gonna be able to do that.

This is a ruse. They will play the $1.6 billion back on the Dems, then blame things on the Dems since that version of the bill won’t pass. Trump is again trying to shift the blame of the shutdown onto the Democrats after we took egg in the face previously over DACA and the last shutdown.

Future Trump:
“The Democrats won’t agree to the $1.6 billion they promised and now we’re going into a government shutdown.”

“Mexico isn’t paying for the wall like you said they would.” Seems like a fine reply. The people who believe him won’t care what he says, and the rest will get a good laugh at him. Laughter is deadly for trump.

This sadly sounds legit.

The world needs ditch diggers too, son.