US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

That’s my expectation too and maybe sooner rather than later if Trump is getting bored of the conflict and feels it’s making him look bad. I expect after tonight he’s probably going to be lashing out at the people (Miller presumably) who encouraged this fight.

That having been said, I think at this point he’s played the whole thing so poorly and bungled the public opinion so badly that he may have closed the door to declaring a pretend national emergency as an exit strategy. It was always going to be a bluff but that trial balloon looks like the Hindenburg at this point

And finally worth repeating something that Nate Silver and Harry Enten have been harping on since November: this sort of speech appeals to Trump’s base, and his base only.

Let’s remember and recall that Trump’s base turned out in huge numbers in November of 2018. They absolutely did not stay home.

And the Blue Wave absolutely still did happen. His base just isn’t enough. And it’s become less and less of enough as his presidency goes along.

I am shocked and amazed to learn that after all those purges, everyone left in the palace says the Emperor’s clothes are perfect.

It is. It really, really is.

I laugh that this ‘crisis’ is solved by building a wall that is going to take what, a decade, to build?

“This is the moment Donald Trump became president. He did not shit his pants on national television.”

Yes, but is there a Canadian island somewhere that’s a bit closer to the equator than the arctic circle?

Canadian TV rocking the chyron fact-checking.

Does Canada own one of the Hawaiian islands? Because that’d be great.

Will wonders never cease! ;-)

(There’s a reason Nancy Pelosi is the GOP’s favorite bogey[wo]man. She gets shit done.)

BTW, I dunno, but did Trump say the word “crisis” enough?

I’m amazed that some folks here found Schumer more appealing or effective than Pelosi.

Perhaps my view was colored by being kind of creeped out by him standing there while she spoke, and i didn’t pay as much attention to him.

When she starts to have trouble getting her words out I start to cringe. I’ve done big speeches when I’m nervous and start to stumble over my words at times. When you have a quieter, older person the effect is made worse. Schumer on the other hand was succinct and nailed his verbiage.

I’m watching Michael Steele and James Carville reacting to all of this and it’s pretty great. Brian Williams is talking about all the “Chuck and Nancy” memes (including “American Gothic”) and Carville pipes up with “I’ve been more excited about colonoscopies than these people seem to have been about this speech and the response.” (or something to that effect).

My wife wanted to watch it but I refused. I just can’t stand listening to Trump speak without talking back to him. Nice to know I am not the only one. :)

WTF AP?

Technically they’re correct, but the story doesn’t go far enough. To do that they would have to point out how bullshit and racist the whole Wall meme is (not to mention ineffective without tons of personnel along the entire length of it).

Just heard Rep. AOC give her take. That is an impressive young woman.

No, they’re not. And they’re getting ratioed to high heaven for being incorrect and dumb.

This is how incorrect they are:

https://twitter.com/ChrisDiedrich/status/1082872916679761921

Sure. It takes two to have a murder. A killer and a victim. If only the victim hadn’t been there, all vulnerable and full of blood.

Me too, except I would throw eggs at the TV, and its an expensive TV.

And what I imagine is an AP editor steps in and posts the article with a new tweet lede.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1082875307965775872

New lede on the article now, too:

In his prime-time speech to the nation, President Donald Trump declared a border crisis that’s in sharp dispute, wrongly accused Democrats of refusing to pay for border security and ignored the reality of how drugs come into the country as he pitched his wall as a solution to varied ills.