US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Gimme gimme gimme. The entitlement of these liberals is just disgusting.

These people should feel ashamed for accepting handouts! Why don’t they get jobs? /s

Also, Romney is now backing Trump’s shutdown. So much for his op-ed. Must have been one of those obligatory “mild rebuke for being totally evil scumbag but I still support you oh so much Mr President” things.

I’m resigned to this lasting until at a minimum the end of the Republican primaries. When I’m furloughed I’m going to just job hunt and try to find something by summer.

Well, now we know the strategy.

White House will offer a 3-year extension on DACA – but no permanent path to residency – in exchange for the wall. They think they will have the votes for that in the Senate (and they very well may).

Then they can put that into play in the House, and pressure them to sign off.

Fuck a 3 year extension. That’s stupid.

So I guess the idea is to put the hot potato back in Pelosi’s hands?

Yep, and see if public opinion swings back around.

Not a great deal

It’s not a great deal, but the political calculus is good. Turning it down lets Trump say Dems prefer illegal immigrants over Americans.

Dems already lost the DACA shutdown battle. This was a surprisingly good move and it might be enough to tip the scales.

Yep, it’s a terrible deal for the Democrats, but a very politically shrewd maneuver by the White House. McConnell and Kushner both worked this sucker pretty heavily, and you can see McConnell’s “shift the narrative” instincts all over it.

The details of the BRIDGE act offered in exchange for wall funding:

As Menzo mentioned, it allows Republicans to play one of their greatest hits, “Democrats are keeping the government shut down for illegal immigrants.”

The correct play for the Democrats here is to agree to negotiate, but then demand a full path to citizenship in exchange for the 5.7.

This basically gives Trump something, but ultimately a worse deal than he could have gotten a few years ago.

I would think Pelosi would agree to vote on it after the government is reopened.

That’s an interesting play.

But how would the GOP retain any sort of power if they vote for HR 1?

They probably won’t.
But it throws it back in their face and makes them refuse to open the government because they oppose…
Checks notes
… Reducing corruption in government.

It’s a good play.

That’s three things, way too many for most Trumpists to comprehend. Trump doesn’t want a confused support base unless it works in his favor.

I would have preferred this as well. It’s very disappointing.

I would support that, because ultimately the wall would take 10-20 years to build, and could swiftly be defunded in a few years.