US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

LOL

I think I love Ann Coulter now. If any moderate Democrat in a purple district was even remotely tempted, she just gave them cover to remain firmly a “No”.

I think you just nailed her Epitaph.

McConnell says he’s bringing this to a vote in the Senate this week. Be interesting to see if the Coulter non-support costs Mitch some votes he needs.

Is there a reason that the democratic party or some democratic PAC isn’t running ads showing clips of Trump saying over and over that Mexico will pay for the wall, and then Trump saying he will own the shutdown unless Congress gives him money for it.

You run ads like that in areas that voted for Trump, and in large cities while the shutdown continues. Especially in areas most effected.

Because we aren’t in campaign season. What would the ads be for?

Although, if Trump’s campaign is pushing shit like this, I guess why not? https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-send-a-brick-campaign-backfires_us_5c42efd9e4b0bfa693c3d168

I do get what you’re saying, but in all honesty it feels like the best move for Democrats is to kind of stay clear of the spotlight here and just let the President spin his wheels. Maybe that calculus will change.

Someone found Mitch!

Democrats would have been better off with unicorns, too. But they’re tricky to get, much like control of the narrative. Me, I’ve been following the narrative, and so far it seems to be ‘Trump is screwing millions of people in order to get money for a wall no one thinks we need.’ Fox News isn’t running with that narrative, but just about everyone else is.

You only need control of the narrative when it isn’t helping you. Trump may have control, but he continually uses it to sabotage himself by saying things like:

[a] lot of people that you think are upset — and certainly they’re not thrilled — but they say, ‘Sir, do the right thing. We need border security.’ And these are people that won’t be getting paid.

I mean, what could Democrats possibly add to that?

I thought Trump’s slant was all the people ‘not getting paid’ were democrats. Which is it, Donny?

Best article I’ve seen today on Stephen Miller’s latest ‘offer’.

Schumer says “No deal” on the White House proposal. Don’t think – as the Vox article Mike posted above – that Republicans will find 7 Democrats to break ranks and vote to advance this to the floor.

Also in that article, Dems plan to counter-propose an additional 1 billion for border security, which includes more security personnel at points of entry and additional immigration judges.

This is a great idea I have thought of too! Start preaching to the opponents you’re trying to sway instead of to other Democrats. I think white rural males still watch regular television. Running an ad on TV costs a lot but is simple and direct and not a new skill. But maybe there are rules about Pelosi or whomever broadcasting what could be considered a campaign speech in the middle of a term?

Trump has been campaign since the day he won. If there is some sort of rule, that seems ridiculous if it only applies to everyone except the President.

Also this is a terrible deal, screw him. Keep it shut down, Maybe it’s time for these the government is only sucking money for liberal idiots to find out what having just a fraction of the government down actually means.

I have seen political parties (or maybe PACS) advertise about issues in the past. The purpose of the ads I talked about would be (1) to remind idiots of Trumps past words and (2) to point out his lying about them.

Have you seen the ads run by, I think his name is Tom Somebody, where he advocates for the impeachment of Trump. They are run on my local TV outlets during the nightly news shows?