US wanted battlefield weapons to use against protestors

IN LONDON!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1086397,00.html

The US wanted the British to close the tube network, wanted permission to carry around a minigun, and wanted immunity from anyone that accidently shot a protestor.

The UK said “no.”

Good.

I am forced to compare this against shots of FDR driving in open topped jeep through North Africa during the Casablanca conference.

Thank god for that - I could see a stray bullet hitting me in South Ken from Westminster knowing the accuracy of US fire.

It’s official. The US is insane.

The description of the mini-gun is priceless. “Useful in peacekeeping missions.” Apparently this is a good weapon choice when you need to shred those people who come looking for food.

Haven’t you ever seen Terminator 2? Those things only destroy inanimate objects.

“It is fired from a tank and can kill dozens of people.”

Hm. I thought miniguns were mostly mounted in helicopters. I’ve never heard of one on a tank, though I suppose it could be done.

How do you determine how many people a gun can kill? I mean, I suspect you could cycle 20,000 rounds a year through a .22 target pistol for 20 years without any significant mechanical failures. Does that mean it can kill 400,000 people? Maybe twice that if they stand in line single-file?

Anyway, the Secret Service is sounding kind of twitchy. If this is what they’re asking for in England, I imagine they carry even more hardware around when Bush travels here in the states. The mind boggles.

Come to think of it, the Gothenburg “riots” could have been so much more interesting.

If you are going to compare it with the 1940s, also compare what has changed as far as operational security concerns. FDR wouldn’t be doing that today.

Excessive? Probably in this situation, especially given the experience the UK has in counter-terrorist protection for government ministers. However, you really can’t blame the Secret Service for trying. It’s not like Bush isn’t prime target number one of every terrorist organization on the planet these days or anything.

I’m thinking their Description of the gun they wanted to use is wrong - they probably wanted to bring along a light machine gun like a M249/M240/M60E3 or something similar. Still nothing to be laughed at, but hardly a minigun.

Miniguns A. aren’t mounted on tanks B. aren’t man portable no matter what Arnold does in the movies.

Maybe they just wanted to bring a hummer or something with a minigun on it?

Going from the assumption that news stories get some but not all of the details right, I’ll assume that the minigun reference is correct. Reading that they wanted overflight support from choppers, I’d guess the miniguns referenced are the M134s mounted in the MH-60G Black Hawk variant used by SOCOM.

http://www.saracen.org/

If you are going to compare it with the 1940s, also compare what has changed as far as operational security concerns. FDR wouldn’t be doing that today.

Excessive? Probably in this situation, especially given the experience the UK has in counter-terrorist protection for government ministers. However, you really can’t blame the Secret Service for trying. It’s not like Bush isn’t prime target number one of every terrorist organization on the planet these days or anything.[/quote]

I think I can blame the Secret Service for trying to get blanket immunity for their agents on the off chance one of them does something wrong.

As to wanting to shut down the city - it’s transparently about protestors, not assassination risks.

http://www.saracen.org/

[/quote]

Need I point out that’s not a Tank? I can mount a Minigun on my Dodge Caravan if I want, but that doesn’t make the article make sense.

http://www.saracen.org/[/quote]

Calling Mr T – Calling Mr T!

Hey, it’s an SUV. Same difference, only the tank gets better milage.

Actually, 7.62 caliber miniguns were mounted on the old M113 APC line.

You’re all anti-Americans. Bush is heading into enemy territory… our old Revolutionary foes the English. Fuckers taxed us to death. I’d bring a Nuke to London! And Bush is cool… hes cool like a nice cowboy like John Wayne was.

etc

Actually, 7.62 caliber miniguns were mounted on the old M113 APC line.[/quote]

I know. How do I know? DESERT COMBAT! Never say that shitty mods don’t teach you anything.

No, I don’t think it’s necessary.