USENET anonymous

Hi, my name is Alex, and I’ve gone for nearly 2 months now without posting to a non-computer-programming newsgroup. I have not engaged in any flame wars, or called anyone Hitler in that time.

Ok, so Hitler is the end to any argument, but I’m beginning to think the 9/11 is the 21st century equivlent. Of course, they probably said that about the Kaiser in 1914 so what do I know. Said he was the 20th century thing, that is.

clap, clap, clap.

I was tempted to check out usenet (I’ve abstained for 11 months or so now) but then I thought ‘meh, what’s the use?’. Not missing it at all. Should I be? Is Old Salt still around?

Salty is probably hanging out in csipcgw-h waiting to popup and surprise people with cries of “I TOLD YOU SO!” and then grumbling about how no one uses Archie anymore.

This is better than the normal fare when I left, namely, around 4 or 5 people trying to prove how smart they are. Strangely, I think there are the same personalities on pretty much every other newsgroup I used to read.

Haven’t seen Old Salt in c.s.i.p.g.s. for a long time. I still check that, *.rpg, and (rarely) *.action. With a filter, it’s not too bad. I doubt you could do a ‘Therapy’ column on the traffic now, though.

Most of the news you can get here (thanks Tom, Mark), but sometimes the newsgroups will still get the scoop on something.

The Saltster is alive and well in csipgw-h, and of course he posts regularly that he told everyone what a shithole that newsgroup would become. He’s right, by the way, since most of the posts these days come from the same two or three professional trolls.

The strategy group has finally found a new game to talk about with GalCiv, although once again about four or five people make up 90% of the discussion. All other games are of course ignored, except for the occasional post on Dominions (of all things).

The RPG group is in the fortunate situation that they don’t have any new games to ignore, so they can merrily regurgitate Planescape: Torment and Fallout for the 928,765th time. They did recently post those pictures of Cleve Blakemore, though, and that has to count for something.

Poor guy, you must be sick! If there’s anything that you think I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to flame me. :wink:

Actually, I don’t really miss it. Perhaps you should try it.

I miss the RPG group. I miss the usenet in general, but it really has filtered down to a few diehards, most of whom have been around forever. I suspect most people who are new to online surfing don’t even bother with newsgroups – message boards have really taken over.

But I think of all the people I’ve met through usenet back in the day - Nahr, Asher, Chick, Dulin, Critical Bill – that was never a dull crew.

From the Unix Haters Handbook written in the early 90s (much of the rest of which is now, thankfully, obsolete).

Chapter 5:

We?re told that the information superhighway is just around the corner. Nevertheless, we already have to deal with the slow-moving garbage trucks clogging up the highway?s arteries. These trash-laden vehicles are NNTP packets and compressed UUCP batches, shipping around untold gigabytes a day of trash. This trash is known, collectively, as Usenet.

Darn futurists.