Using AI for movies - the current state (2024, and beyond?)

A very interesting article on creating an AI Movie:

the more you talk about fear and lost jobs and the machines taking over, the less you ask a very simple question: does any of this shit actually work?

The answer, it turns out, is “not very well.”…

… To put it as plainly as possible, every single time that Shy Kids wanted to generate a shot — even a 3-second-long one — they would give Sora a text prompt, and wait for at least ten minutes to find out if it was right, regularly accepting footage that was subprime or inaccurate,…

… Sora’s problem isn’t really the amount of time it takes to generate a shot, but the imprecision that comes from using a generative artificial intelligence that doesn’t really know anything. Patrick Cederberg of Shy Kids described this as each prompt “…[showing] another interpretation of that latent space,” and that Sora has only learned the aspects of what something looks like rather than actually knowing what it is, effectively coming up with a fresh take every single time while creating media for a medium that relies on consistency

A very interesting article, IMHO, and I kind of thought it best to separate out from the main AI stealing jobs thread, but move as desired.

That was a great read. Thank you.

I have wondered if this deepfake technology could be used to make what appears to be a live action version of a cartoon? I was thinking of the 1970s Star Trek animated series. You already have the story, the scenes, and the actual voices of the Star Trek actors. Could AI generate a live action version of the cartoon? I think that could be cool to see.

And I realize that lots of people would have to be paid and sign a release to allow their voice, likeness, script, art, etc., be used, so it may not ever happen as long as it’s all copyrighted, but the idea intrigues me.

One thing which could complicate things - AI works can’t be copyrighted…

https://pluralistic.net/2023/08/20/everything-made-by-an-ai-is-in-the-public-domain/

bd3196b7daa66553

Use of public domain material with creative transformation would be a copyrighted derivative work. I don’t doubt the major studios have IP lawyers working on this. And for sure, there will be conveyed lobbying for changes to the copyright act. After all, the Mickey Mouse Protection Act wasn’t loaded to benefit the public at large.

Agreed, but still, it’s risky for now.