Using Google to find Carmen Sandiego seems like cheating

Title Using Google to find Carmen Sandiego seems like cheating
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When March 19, 2019

If you were a kid or parent during the late 1980's or early 1990's, you might have fond memories of Carmen Sandiego, a globetrotting ne'er-do-well that was foiled only via the geographical knowledge possessed by elementary school children..

Read the full article

Just an FYI: If you’re looking for good kids entertainment, the Netflix series is pretty good. It’s about her origins, and recasts her as a kind of Robin Hood, a globetrotting thief working to stymie the evil aims of V.I.L.E. She’s voiced by Gina Rodriguez (of Jane the Virgin fame) and my kids and I both enjoyed it quite a bit.

Why would an organization name itself something that has VILE as its acronym? That seems like poor planning!

My son loved it.

It does make me somewhat sad, as a huge fan of the original show, that it is a scripted narrative animated show. I really enjoyed the quiz show format, and the geographic knowledge, of the original. I also played the Apple ][e game extensively when I got it at 8.

I have to admit, hoping around the Earth playing this game is pretty neat. When it had me hop to Tokyo, for instance, there were two locations in the city, and then one was Mr Fuji, which I hadn’t realized was so close to Tokyo.