UT 2003 Demo, almost there

Saw this at VE3D:

[i]"Thanks to about 70 of you who sent word that Epic’s Mark Rein made a post to the official UT2003 forums with news that the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo will be released soon! Here’s the poop on that sucker:

The demo is nearly ready to go. It should be out sometime within the next few days. Keep watching this space (the stickies) for an announcement. When it’s ready we’ll just be releasing it randomly to a few major sites so that hopefully it will spread like wildfire and everyone will be able to get it from their favorite games site. There won’t be any special exclusives or anything like that. We want everyone to be enjoying it the minute it goes live."[/i]

Hooray. Maybe the griefers will be distracted by this and stop playing BF1942.

I dunno how excited I am about UT2003. Basically, I’m beginning to really get pissed with the general calibre of human playing games online.

Bottom line? People Suck.

For me, the online component is a minor part of the game. Give me a compelling single-player experience and you can keep your lousy multiplayer. I’ve got a wife and two kids… I don’t have 10 hours a day to spend honing my mad rail-gun skillz. I want to fire up the PC and unwind before bed by killing some stuff for an hour or two.

That’s just my $0.02. YMMV, although I’m convinced there’s a lot of older, Family Guy gamers out there just like me.

I was just like you Gladguy.
Then I installed the BF1942 demo.

There are. But we simply do not waste our time with arcade shooters. That’s best left to the teenagers and dudez with the attention span of a gnat.

I am part of a group of 26 online flyers who play Red Baron 3D and IL2 Sturmovik. Our average age is 37. We have weekly war sessions in both games and are currently participating in the VEF IL2 War with 20 other virtual squadrons.

Gladguy you need to change your focus away from shooters. You simply won’t be able to find like minded gamers in this genre.

Well, if the QT3 server idea takes off quicker than the chat link idea has, we might have a place to play shooters against a reasonable group of opponents.

I gotta get involved in some online IL-2, though. That sounds like a blast.

BF1942! Thursday! Go!

The one thing I’ve always liked about UT is that you can play a perfectly reasonable and enjoyable botmatch. Griefer, TKer, and spammer-free.

Granted, the griefing is sort of limited in your arena-style combat games, because you really are sort of supposed to do anything you can to stop the other team from winning. As long as people don’t use “code” cheats (wallhacks and such) or deliberately try to annoy their own team, anything goes.

There’s less opportunity to be a total jackass in a simple game of Quake/UT style CTF than in a game like BF1942. It’s a little more straightforward.

There are. But we simply do not waste our time with arcade shooters. That’s best left to the teenagers and dudez with the attention span of a gnat.[/quote]

There are even groups of older gamers that do waste their time with arcade shooters.
http://www.cgagamers.com/
http://oldepharts.fateback.com/

…to name a few. I’m not sure how many are in CGA, but there are about 40 or 50 in OP, and CoFR is over 400 now. There is also The Ultimate Bullet Cushions http://www.ubc-clan.com/ , which I don’t think has an age restriction, but is founded on the idea of playing fair while not being very good. It is nice to play with folks that just want to play, and don’t care how good you are. First generation gamers are getting older, and these groups are growing. This question comes up so often, I’m sounding like a broken record (or a lightly scratched CD to you whippersnappers).

Plenty of other games are played, too. I know a number of CoFR that are fanatic about IL-2. Stop by the IRC channel and ask about it, a bunch of them hang out there.

I also agree with Jason about UT’s botmatch capabilities. That’s a big part of the reason I’m looking forward to UT2003.