UT 2003, WE WANT YOU! Or UT 2003, WE WANT YOU?

You may have heard that UT2003 has gone gold and is expected to be out by thursday or friday of this week. I like many of you played the demo and was, shall we say, not thrilled. I am no fan of Quake and always liked the slower pace of UT.
However, I decided to give UT another go. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I was expecting too much (Like the new Star Wars movies being good). After all, the reviews for the demo have been nothing but stellar. On a second viewing of the demo, I finally figured out how the translocator camera works and shot the new redeemer. Hell, I even found the cool flag tracers.
Yet when it was all said and done. It still was not the UT I rememberd or the sequel I wanted. So I decided not to buy UT2003. That was until I thought about what really made UT so great…Modders. People like you and me who want to change the game. Now I am really excited about what UT2003 could be. There are already so many mods in the works. I can’t wait to see what comes out. Personally I want to see a UT weapon mod. What mods are you looking forward to or want?

A Battlefield 1942 mod.

Since I’m not happy with the whole Quake 3 2003 feel of the game, I’m looking forward to mods that can:

a) slow down the game speed
b) boost the weapon power
c) add assault modes back in

I’d actually really like to see a new TacOps/Infiltration style mod with realistic weapons and an iron sight aiming mode.

And, of course, those wacky Germans with their Unreal 4 Ever stuff. I prefer their wild style to the current gladiatorial badass motif.

Has it been announced what mods, err, I mean, ‘mutators’, will ship with the game? Maybe it can be de-Quaked right out of the box? I’d certainly like to be able to turn off that adrenalin combo move stuff, which annoyed me to no end in the Twisted Metal games, thank you very much.

-Tom

a) slow down the game speed
b) boost the weapon power
c) add assault modes back in

So you’re looking for a mod to make it Battlefield 1942 with BFGs? Uh…ok.

I think you guys are all just sissy girls that liked UT because it was easy. Now you’ve got to have skill, reflexes AND brains and suddenly it ain’t so fun anymore. Go back to those turn-based strategy games, lamer! :twisted:

–Dave

Exactly Dave…

You guys were used to the spam that was there in full force in UT. Now you can’t: Spam with six rockets, spam the flag with the shock rifle, spawn kill with the sniper rifle, and everything else that I hated about UT.

Yes… UT was an awesome game, but this is 2002 and UT had to change. Basically… the people that are complaining about UT2K3 are the ones that SUCK!!! I likt the new ut2k3 and I’m happy the changes were made, because UT was getting so old.

Just because you get your ass handed to you Shieldwolf, you don’t have to come to the Quarter to Three forums to cry. Get your skills up before you complain.

:D

“Just because you get your ass handed to you Shieldwolf, you don’t have to come to the Quarter to Three forums to cry. Get your skills up before you complain.”

Heh. I can tell already this game isn’t for me.

Haven’t played the demo, but won’t there be a speed control for single player against bots? That was great about UT – I could set the difficulty level and speed until I got just the right challenge.

“a) slow down the game speed”

Look under game rules.

“b) boost the weapon power”

Learn to aim.

Sounds like we need a new geriatric FPS for these guys. ;)

New and slower than ever!

Comes with a specially amplified headset/hearing aid and a subscription to the AARP magazine.

– Xaroc

I thought the original Unreal Tournament was the greatest game on Earth until I realized it was actually Mario Tennis. Funny how acid warps your perception.

Anyhow, aside from the graphics changes, UT2k3 is absolutely horrid. They -never- should have changed any of the existing gameplay mechanics, only updated with new weapons, items, gameplay types, levels, etcetera.

Way to fuck up, Epic. Hey, maybe you should change your game to Big Epic Games. Then you can change it to Big Epic Mega Games after Unreal Championship. Then you can change it to Big Epic Mighty Mega Artistic Virtual Reality Shooter Simulations. You’d make Rockstar and their endless stream of name-changes proud.

I took a break from Earth 2150…I mean The Moon Project…SHIT…no…it’s called Lost Souls now, to play some more UT2k3 tonight. Learned a number of cool things. Lift jumping is cool and very useful. Double jumping is a skill you should learn. Dodging is no longer just a neat effect…it’s mandatory. Dodge-double jumping will let your reach the shield on the indoor level that seems out of reach. Finally…all the adrenaline stuff is just excellent.

For you complainers, try playing on a server that has a player limit of about eight. These maps aren’t all that big and with eight, you have time to learn how things work. I’m convinced that the reason a lot are complaining here is because the game now requires skill. One shot kills are a thing of the past and rightfully so. It can still be done, but it’s a lot rarer than before. I also think a lot of deathmatching skills have atrophied since everyone’s been all gung-ho with Counter-Strike and the like. I heard that complaint from a few people on the server I was on tonight. One guy specifically mentioned his weakened deathmatch skills since all he’s done is CS for months. Needless to say, we fed him flak and listened to his bones crack.

Anyway…it’s a great step forward for this series and this is finally the one that beats Quake 3 Arena. Q3A was still the pinnacle of DM to me but this looks like it’s got that topped.

–Dave

"a) slow down the game speed
b) boost the weapon power "

NO FUCKIN’ KIDDING! What is supposed to be fun about “keep your gunsight on the jumping idiot for two minutes” in order to kill someone. Everyone is jumping around like fucking idiots and you’re supposed to do the same while keeping your gunsight on the enemy.

That is not how real people fight. Considering that laser weapons would be even faster than today’s projectile weapons, the idea of jumping out of the way of them for three minutes in a row is absurd.

Sure there are some people who become good at that style of gameplay, but they have too much time on their hands. Fuck 'em.

I always preferred UT to Q3 because of the one-shot kills. Most of the Q3 weapons literally never saw use because they were too underpowered. What did see use were the rail and the rocket, both one-shot kill weapons. Not so for UT, where you could grab any weapon (or even a second Enforcer) and be competitive. Now it takes two flak bursts at close range for a kill? Bleah, change it back.

UT, the preferred weapons in Q3, and the prevalence of “realistic” weapons in best selling games shows me what the market really wants. I think Epic listened to the hardcore Q3 players too much in making the decision to weaken the weapons, and it will hurt sales rather than help them.

Side note: I tried Excessive UT the other day for the first time. If you want high damage weapons, give that a try! The flak gun fires several times a second, and you can play it over people like a hose.

The UT2003 demo got me thinking: is it enough that a game does what it does very well? I used to think so, but my total apathy for UT2003 has me rethinking it.

I mean, for a fast-action, skill-over-strategy, hardcore competitive FPS it seems really great. But I was kind of yawning at the whole experience from the start. I’ve tried several times to get into it again, and just can’t.

There’s literally nothing about the game that couldn’t be done in a Quake 3 mod, it seems. Even the graphics seem like you could do them in Q3 if you were willing to make Q3’s framerate go as low as UT2K3’s - with a couple of minor exceptions, and the death physics.

Maybe the bot AI is slightly more sophisticated. I’d never know it if they didn’t tell me, because the bots don’t communicate any advanced decision-making through voice or gestures, so I can’t really tell how amazingly smart they’re being or not. To my eyes, they run around the map and try to get the bomb or kill the guy with the flag or whatever. Maybe they’ve tweaked a few of the weapons: there are still too many of them, especially with the alt-fire modes (the link gun and machine gun might as well be the same weapon, and nobody uses the link capability that I’ve seen).

It’s all a bunch of tweaks to a formula that UT delivered two years ago. And even then, it was a formula that I’ve been playing in Quake/Quake2 mods for five years.

I just plain don’t need another straightforward rocket launcher/railgun/machine gun, deathmatch/ctf game. With a few more tweaks and variants. Even if UT2003 is the best game of that type that has ever been made, I don’t want it.

It’s like I can’t see what I ever liked about those games, now that there are more sophisticated online shooters.

Same here. The only reason I even bought Quake and Quake 2 were for the more interesting mods. Once Action Quake came out I never bothered to boot up a vanilla version of the game again. I played the multiplayer demo of Q3 and UT and had my fill. I installed and played the UT2K3 demo and played for about an hour one night, haven’t started it up since. I couldn’t even muster the interest to play online against real people, I just shot at some bots for a little bit. There are just so many more interesting games to play these days. Between Day of Defeat, America’s Army, Battlfield 1492, Global Operations, etc, these boombastic blaster fests seem so boring and lame. Frankly, with Epic and id, I just skip the initial game and wait for those based on the engine. Wake me up when Deus Ex 2 or the next Metal of Honor game arrives.

I think folks enjoy games they are good at, and there’s a big difference between how BF42 and UT2003 play (I’m sure that goes without saying).

When I play UT with my friends online, we’re all about even. But a couple of them are BF42 freaks of nature. When I’m in the same game with them, I’ll often see their kills-deaths at something like 25-10 while mine is a paltry 7-9.

Maybe you liked UT and Q3 et al because you were really good at them.

I just realized that this post of mine is almost completely useless. Perhaps someone can rescue it.

• Dave

Your post makes perfect sense. The whiners want to make UT out to have all these “flaws” when its just the fact they arn’t good at the game. I suck at the game therefore it must have problems.

Maybe we can think of some things that would help out some of our ‘geriatric’ players. How about a the ‘All weapons insta-gib mutator’. Then they can just grab the minigun and spray like crazy. Or maybe make it so the Redeemer is the default weapon.

Ohh, how about this for a mod. Its called ‘Turn based insta-gib UT with auto-targeting’. Sounds like fun huh guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I for one found both UT and Q3 to be good games, though for different reasons. As has been said above (or at least hinted at) Q3 was superior for deathmatch. So, when I wanted high speed, crazy combat, I played that game. UT had more strategy and teamwork to it, so I played it when I was in that kind of mood. To be honest, I played UT a lot more than Q3 just because I prefer that strategy/teamwork mechanic. I played Team Fortress much more than Deathmatch Quake too. It’s what I like.

I don’t think it is fair to say that deathmatch takes skills, reflexes AND brains. What brains does it take? I’ll grant it takes some quick thinking, but UT took more brains because you had to coordinate with others. That’s what people like about CS as well. Of course, I know most of you are only half serious when you slam other people for lacking MaD sKiLlZ but I do think it takes different kinds of skills to play each game. I have seen many people who are great at deathmatch get their asses handed to them in a teambased game. That doesn’t mean you can’t be good at both types of games. it just means that many people prefer one and don’t develop the skills for the other.

I tend to agree with the detractors; not my cup of tea. The game may well be wonderful for those who like the style–no problem. It’s just too Quake-3 like for my taste, and I was bored by Quake 3. I prefer stuff like BF1942 or MechWarrior online. The NOLF2 demo, for instance, was a lot more fun (different style of game I know, etc.).

The good thing about a new Unreal Tournament is the mods to come, yes, but also the fact it’s a proving ground for cool tech that will show up in games more attuned to my style I’m betting.

Er, try again. Despite the increased speed of UT2003 and my increasingly geriatric age (37, ugh!), I do fine at it. Plenty of killing sprees against bots, and when playing it online for a few days I quickly honed my mad skillz to where I was fairly consistently in the top 3.

I’m good at it, but I just don’t enjoy it as much as the previous game or some of the other shooters. At the speeds this game goes at, it’s pure reflex and adrenaline – there’s little room for tactics. And I just take a lot more pleasure in a good kill when it comes from more than being good at scanning around me for bad guys and having quick reflexes.

There’s nothing wrong with this kind of game. But you outgrow it, I think… “Adrenaline” kills are fun for a while, but after a while you just seek a bit more depth. Same reason that so many of the “classic” games we all enjoyed seem a bit dull upon revisiting them… Running around at 75 MPH blasting away is only interesting for so long.

UT2003 reminds me of what happened to Amiga arcade games in the last few years of the platform’s existence. Increasingly they got faster and faster to the point they became all about reflex and less about tactics/planning/etc.

You guys were used to the spam that was there in full force in UT. Now you can’t: Spam with six rockets, spam the flag with the shock rifle, spawn kill with the sniper rifle, and everything else that I hated about UT.

I know. These complaints are completely nonsensical. UT was such a weird, loosey-goosey shooter already, I don’t see the point of getting all nitpicky about the gameplay mechanics. That was part of its appeal. “The biorifle has changed! OH THE HUMANITY! THEY HAVE RUINED THE GAME!”

However, if as Supertanker says, all the weapons do less damage, I suppose that could be a legitimate complaint. Personally, I don’t find the UT2k3 botmatch to be all that different than UT botmatch-- they’re both enjoyable as straightforward run and gun blastfests.

There’s nothing wrong with this kind of game. But you outgrow it, I think… “Adrenaline” kills are fun for a while, but after a while you just seek a bit more depth. Same reason that so many of the “classic” games we all enjoyed seem a bit dull upon revisiting them… Running around at 75 MPH blasting away is only interesting for so long.

What’s ironic about UT2k3 is that Epic has finally realized their longtime dream of replacing Quake-- only to find that now, just like Quake, nobody wants to play their game; they’d rather wait for the inevitable cool mods which add the missing depth. :)