Utterly incomprehensible technical blog

http://www.pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/default.aspx

Don Box, the COM expert, back when COM was cool, has a website. His book seminal book, Essential COM, while technical, was comprehensible. As far as I can tell, COM is about the only framework-of-the-month tech that has really made it into the Microsoft system level and stuck there – to do Windows programming, you’re going to hit COM at some point.

So hey, he’s got a blog. Sounds interesting!

I read his blog, I program every day, I read numerous other programming blogs, and I have no fucking clue what he’s talking about.

First, I’m doubtful that WADL will be substantially better than WSDL given the reliance on XSD to describe XML payloads. Yes, some of the cruft WSDL introduces goes away, but that cruft wasn’t where the interop probems were lurking. I know WADL allows both RNG and XSD - I have no idea what the state of RNG import/export machinery looks like for Java (or Python or Ruby). I’d love to hear of people’s experience using RNG importers for their programming language of choice.

I think it’s flavor-of-the-month Microsoft framework programming, but I’m not sure. If he mentioned having to reverse the tachyon stream into the warp core, I think it’d fit right in and I wouldn’t even notice.

So, blog effectiveness = 0.

edit:

Other quotes picked at random.

Stefan wrote about SCA and JBI recently and I have to agree that the Java camp loves to define new integration standards - of course he forgot to mention OSGi :-)

couldn’t help but wonder after reading about GData’s X-HTTP-Method-Override header whether the Googlies will come to the same conclusion we did.

The initial drafts of SOAP were built on top of the HTTP Extension Framework.

In those early drafts, we required clients to first use M-POST and then only back down to using POST if there were issues getting the M-POST method through the web infrastructure.

You know what? It was a real PITA and we eventually cut it and went with the flow by just using POST (snide comment about ignoring GET goes here :-)).

If I were building a GData client, I honestly wonder why I’d bother using DELETE and PUT methods at all given that X-HTTP-Method-Override is going to work in more cases/deployments.

I think you have mistaken the “Post new blog entry” button with the “Post new thread” button on QT3.

:p

I agree that it is difficult to parse that due to the insane number of confusingly similar acronyms, but the vast majority of what he’s talking about in the quoted text isn’t Microsoft specific nor does it even originate from Microsoft.

SOAP is pretty much the only thing he mentioned in there that is arguably a Microsoft thing (and SOAP is really a W3 standard, it just had more Microsoft people working on the standard than from any other company), all the rest are stuff that has come out of Java or W3 or random open standards groups.

And lastly, while his blog is certainly hard to parse for people who haven’t done much web services programming, well, uh… it is a pretty specialized blog so it is hard to blame him for using jargon that most hardcore web services people (I am not one, I’ve done just enough to recognize a lot of those terms) will understand without explaining what each acronym means all the time. When he writes about COM he doesn’t stop to explain what he means by BSTRs, GUIDs, coclasses, or whatever anymore, people who code COM just know. This is the same sort of thing except for web app shit.

I recognized PITA, but I don’t do web services. hee hee hee.

Ok, a less retared reply.

It’s not a flavor of the month thing, these are concepts or acronyms that have been around for a while, i’m surprised that since you say you usually read programming blogs & you yourself are a programmer have never seen any mention of WADL(Web Application Description Language), WSDL(Web Service Description Language), RNG(Relax NG), XSD(XML Schema Definition) or SOAP(Simple Object Access Protocol OR Service Oriented Architecture Protocol [both are the same thing, that’s why we call it SOAP now]).

POST, GET, DELETE, PUT & XML : hopefully these don’t need any explanation.

GDATA means Google Data Api.

M-POST is like a new version of POST.

JBI is Java Business Integration. SCA is Service Component Architecture(check on Oracle along with Service Data Objects).

Anything i missed?

Anyways, like CCZ said, Don Box’s blog is very specific to what he is working with(he helped design SOAP along with other MS techies, for example).

Perhaps the problem is that it’s just so far from what he used to do, and so far from what I do (embedded programming, motion control, mostly POSIX) that the acronyms don’t register with me and make an “ah-hah!”

I mean, web programming, bah. I like to see shit that can take off your hand MOVE, baby.

I’m subscribed to the Pluralsight blogs but I don’t understand most of what they’re talking about either. Web services have accumulated a ton of specialized protocols and frameworks over the years that I fortunately don’t have to know about.