V Rising on Steam

Argh, there’s tree punching and house building in my vampire Diablo! Gah!

I obviously didn’t understand what this was. : ( I blame @Thorne for mesmerizing me with his Legacy of Kain talk!

Game is all about crafting and resource gathering, you dont level up by killing enemies so you only do so for the materials they drop or new recipes/powers in the case of V Blood bosses.

Game is basically Valheim, but with vampires. You unlock a new tier of resources by killing a V Boss, farm a lot of materials to be able to craft better gear to tackle on another V Boss that unlocks a new gear tier and repeat the endless cycle.

Eventually you unlock the ability to send minions to gather resources (from lower tiers) in mass quantity tho so that eases the grinding pain.

It’s fun tho.

Well, it is billed as a survival game, but the tree punching can be kept to a minimum - but yes, there is castle building and crafting pointier murder implements, and the combat…

…the closest thing would be their other game, Battlerite, a MOBA. There’s even a few bosses lifted from that character pool, as well as most of the abilities you can get. So, no, this isn’t a looter ARPG.

But there is crafting and decorating your not-so-humble abode, as well as some downtime between bosses due to needing to get upgrades. The loot also is more of “sweet, some glass and a few iron bars” and less “oh, the cantankerous mace of bonking…with shitty rolls…”.

There is a tier of items that is pretty much just that, but you basically get model kit and have to do the assembly yourself.

That said, you have about 60 bosses to kill, villagers to kidnap, minions to spawn and send out, and there’s this whole shapechanging and blood sucking business. As far as “free range bloodsucker experience” goes, I rate this highly.
Yeah, it could use a bit more story, but I’m more of the “point me in the direction of the nearest thing that I can murder for upgrades” type of of vampire.

So, it’s more “Valheim and Battlerite got REEEAAAAALLLY drunk one night, and nine months later…”

Yeah, I would describe V Rising as a vampire game that has Survival stuff in it. As opposed to most Survival games which get the punching rocks and stuff your face full of berries part but forget to attach it to any sort of game.

And I didn’t mean to really imply that it was your fault or that you had misled me or anything! It’s just that I love being able to blindly jump into a game and let it reveal itself to me, so I intentionally set myself up for those experiences by not reading about games before they’re out. Which means I’ll let snap observations – hmm, looks like Diablo, but with a vampire – gel based on inadequate info or assumptions.

So I didn’t mind so much that V Rising went the survival/Valheim route, I was just – intentionally – unaware of that fact, which is painfully obvious to everyone else. : ) And the moment I have to punch a tree, care about an iron ingot, or – worst of all! – make a blueprint for walls and roofs, I’m out. That even goes for games I might otherwise enjoy, like Rimworld and Prison Architect (where it’s in the title!): I just have no interest in crafting and home-building as a major feature in my games.

Funny thing, it’s nearly the other way round for me.

The base building gives (to me, at least) a sense of belonging into a game’s world - it’s a step above being a murderhobo, even if the only purpose is to hoard things to better murder with and/or improve said murdering implements.
Same for crafting said pointy tools of accelerated demise: It kinda feels weird to rifle through the pockets of hundreds of dead fodder enemies to find the Sword of Ultimate Disembowelment (Grim Dawn says hello in that regard…). It feels more rewarding (again, to me) if the Blade of Merciless Dismemberment +1 was created by my own hands.

Amusingly enough, I can’t stand the pure building games that either follow the logic of cancer (growth by all means!), turning a pristine alien world into a smoggy hellhole, or whose themes I find utterly deplorable (Prison Architect - I’m still stark raving mad that they ditched a cyberpunk heist themed game in favor of a glorified concentration camp management game).
Stuff like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress do have their charms, but I’m not particularly fond of herding idiots. They have most of their charm in the beginning phases, but once your settlement hits a certain size, it’s like watching an ant farm slowly implode. I’d rather be out there killing things instead.

Please stop writing things I wish I’d stolen. You keep doing this, @thorne!

I know I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but I once recorded a podcast with Chris Delay and another Introversion employee specifically about Prison Architect, which I then managed to delete before I’d edited it. No big deal, I could just pull it out of the recycle bin…but I had apparently emptied the recycle bin in the interval to make room for some dumb game I was installing, so the podcast was lost forever, much to the chagrin of me and the wonderfully helpful PR woman who’d helped me set it up with them (they’re across an entire ocean and multiple time zones from me!).

Anyway, the main thing I remember about our conversation is me asking them to talk about Prison Architect as a critique of the American system of running prisons privately, turning them over the free enterprise, and letting such an important function of society – what do we do with the people who break our laws? – operate as a for-profit enterprise. I was sure this would be a fascinating discussion…but I might as well have asked them to hold forth about the economic impact of the Smoot Hawley tariffs or something. They had no idea what I was on about.

I wasn’t sure if I looked more foolish for reading so much into the game, or if they looked foolish for not having a reply to what I would have thought was a pretty straightforward observation, but I can tell you that’s not the game they intended to make, even if it is the game I played. : )

But, yes, suffice it to say, I completely understand your uneasiness about the implications of Prison Architect’s gameplay.

What’s this about a cyberpunk heist game??? (I currently have two set up on my tables here in the house: Renegade and Tamashii!)

Hmm, excellent point in favor of V Rising!

Take this with a grain of salt, because it’s been so long ago that my memory is hazy at best…
The original pitch for what in the end became Prison Architect was a proc-gen cyberpunk heist game where you would break into procedurally generated buildings, circumvent the alarm systems and guards, and nab the mission objective.

In the end, what was left was more or less the alarm system mechanics and the most disappoint face-heel-turn of a game pitch I had the displeasure of experiencing. From “Be gay, do crime, rob the man” to “extract the maximum amount of money from a for-profit-prison”.
They eventually added a death row expansion, and for that alone the devs ended on my shitlist. YMMV, but the whole thing just struck me as absolutely tasteless.

Dang, that would have been pretty cool. I see from Wikipedia you’re right, and that it would have been called Subversion. I would have loved to see Introversion’s take on an Invisible Inc or Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine style game. Instead, looks like they’re still banging away on something called Last Starship.

Anyway, thanks for indulging my derail. I wish I had a higher tolerance for tree punching and pick-axe crafting and home design. I’m afraid if I want a procedurally generated vampire murderhobo game, I’ll just have to boot up one of those goofy Bloodlust Shadowhunter games.

If you are interested in a Cyberpunk heist game, there is Cyber Knights : Flashpoint. @tomchick

There’s even a thread on it here:

Oh, I’ll be all over that…as soon as it’s out!

Believe me, if the Trese brothers are doing it, I’ll be there. But even with them, I’m all “harumph” about early access. : )