Valentine's Day

So this movie had a $55m+ opening and nobody is talking about it? Some of you had to have been dragged to it this weekend . . .

;-)

If you like Love Actually and/or He’s Just Not That Into You, then you’ll probably like this movie too. It’s a bunch of characters whose lives all intertwine without them really knowing it, all on Valentine’s Day and all about love.

I liked it. It was schmaltzy and predictable, but since I went in expecting that and watching to see a throwaway movie about love I wasn’t disappointed.

I guess creativity in Hollywood must now be finally near bottoming out. Releasing generic films with exactly the same name as the holiday they are released on is such an obvious move I’m suprised it hasn’t been done more often. Why carefully consider which movie to see at the weekend when the studios have doen that tricky thinking part already? Just queue up, pay your assigned fee and obediently walk right in for cultural processing.

I look forward already to this strategy reaching its inevitable next stage when they simply append the year to the title, reuse the same plot and just rotate the cast for whoever is ‘hot’ this year.

Upcoming release calendars can then be safely prepared years in advance:

Coming to a cinema near you in 2011:

“Mother’s Day 2011”
“MLK Weekend 2011”
“Vince Vaughn Vehicle 2011”
“Epic James Cameron Money Ocean 3D 2011”
“Universal’s Oscar Bid 2011”

God, can you imagine? We’d end up with lots of Christmas-themed films being released annually.

Yes. Just now.

Surely a sign of the end-times.

Fucking sheeple! I showed them! I went and saw Avatar instead!

I forgot to call my mom on Vince Vaughn’s Day last year and I kept thinking I should but after like a week it got so awkward that I just never did and then she ended up calling me for something completely different and I tried to avoid even bringing up Vince Vaughn’s Day at all, which was hard to do, since I proposed to my girlfriend then and she wanted to know all about it.

Oddly enough, my girl and I are getting married on the Money Ocean Feast of St Cameron. What a coincidence.

Not sure what you’re talking about here. I don’t think Oscar Bidsday is celebrated outside of eastern Europe.

I wish I could find the article I saw last night (but a long night of puking family members has washed it from my mind), but this is actually right on. The article talked about how WB was going to use the success of this film to press ahead, with the next Holiday themed movie being “New Years Eve”. I swear.

I’ve clearly grumped out Bahimiron, again.

Sorry 'ole chap never been my intent to rile you up, the entire post was light hearted fun as I enjoy my fair share of trashy movies as much as the next man. I am of course aware that Hollywood has been scraping the creative barrel since dinosaurs last roamed the earth and that this is nothing new.

I’d rather see holiday themed movies with new scripts than the current spate of remakes that can’t even be bothered to be better than their original. Seriously, if you can’t be more awesome than the original, rather than remake, how about re-master and re-release? I’d rather see the original Escape from New York cleaned up and on the big screen than to have them make a poor imitation.

Plenty of articles out there talking about that particular sequel, at least. Like this one from the UK Press Association.

Valentine’s Day director Garry Marshall has talked about his plans to make a sequel to the romantic comedy, set on New Year’s Eve.

Marshall said: “It seems to be a good idea, it’s going to be cold - my Valentine’s Day was kind of a salute to LA, New Year may be a salute, not to New York, Woody Allen did that, but to New York that particular day, when everybody watches that ball come down on New Year’s Eve, you can make a lot of good stories in that.”

Bleh.

So was it the VD movie or Omniscia’s article about a possible NYE sequel that made Peter Jones’ family puke all night?

I’m going to go with the movie. That way I can claim I am allergic and not see it if my wife decides she wants to.

Yep. I saw it with the wife and I rather enjoyed it. The acting and writing aren’t awe inspiring, but everyone did a decent job and it tells a nice, weaving story. If you’re looking for a date flick, it’s a good one.

You could play her Mark Kermode’s review, where he likens it to getting a greeting card full of vomit, to claim you’ve already had the Valentine’s Day experience.

I wish I could find the article I saw last night (but a long night of puking family members has washed it from my mind), but this is actually right on. The article talked about how WB was going to use the success of this film to press ahead, with the next Holiday themed movie being “New Years Eve”. I swear.

I dunno, the solution seems fairly simple … don’t pay to see those kinds of movies. They should get the message pretty quick.