Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Also trolls just attacked the farm base on Wanderers.

I did not defend it. I ran away and hid in my tiny house.

This is my kind of server!

So had my first wipe today. Had upgraded my new troll armor feeling good… summoned something i should not of … No chance of getting my grave died twice trying. Would do it again!!!

weird, still not showing even with manual ip adding, the other server I did this with works fine.

In the steam servers window?
I think i had to find the games at the ip too but I do not recall

yeah, in the steam server window. It shows as not responding where the one I was playing on is showing up just fine.

Make sure to hit ‘refresh’ after adding the server and before trying to connect.

I’ve hit it many times. I know you guys are just trying to be helpful, but not many gamers don’t know to refresh ;)

I found the problem. Use 67.222.152.96:2557 instead. I connected ok via this one.

most server guides instruct to open a range of 3 ports (2456-2458 usually). I read a reddit post a few days ago mentioning players would likely use the 2nd or 3rd port forwarded so i tested the next two numbers in the sequence.

and then hit refresh ;)

Just checked the server and it is up. Haven’t had a chance to play - still in recovery mode from the power/water outage and busted water pipes. Will be back soon.

Note you don’t lose your original tombstone if you die again, but you do lose the map marker.

I’ve started manually marking the location when I die so I don’t spend 40 minutes searching the black forrest again.

did not even have to hit refresh when I put the right numbers in ;)

Jedi mind fishing.

This is where I’m at in my solo play as well. It’s a tough boss for sure. I think @Thrag has the right plan, but I’ve still not managed to down him even with the sledge. My problem is his spawn point is mostly water, and I keep getting leech spawns on top of the blobs and skeletons he summons. The water is deep in some places too, which slows me down, but not the boss.

Cool! I’m not much of a mod guy, but I might have to make an exception for this. It would make the game much more appealing for the way I like to play.

Can you take a hoe and raise the ground around it before summoning to make more space?

Lug some stone and aim at the edge of the land.

I have a feeling boss fights are tuned to multi player, not sure how “balanced” this is for solo play at this point. I managed to get past the swamp and the mountain boss via some cheese, and then I hit the plains…oh jesus…the pain. Mountains were way easier than the swamp, and I was feeling pretty good about myself until I hit the plains lol.

As for the portal mod… Your character can enter multiple worlds, and you keep all of the gear and inventory you have in that new world. Make another world, and set that character up with a basic shelter, some storage, and some repair benches. When you are in some tomb, or gathering ore, just log out full, log into that other world, store stuff, then log back in to your main world. It’s really handy for a number of things, and I don’t really feel bad about using it. The tedium imposed by the no portal ore thing is a bit much for me, I get it, but I’m old and don’t have that kind of time left.

I’m at the point where I’ve gotten most of what the game is going to give me I think. I will probably turn on the console and start fiddling with crazy base builds for a while, or I may start a nomad play through, where I can only ever use what I can fit in my inventory.

I hoed a good sized area around the spawn so it wasn’t more than ankle deep.

Started playing this last night, and so far it is interesting and fun. I spent a lot of time wandering around collecting branches, stones and flint and knocking down sapling trees, first with my fists and then with the stone axe I learned to make. I couldn’t figure out how to access the menu to see the other things I could make, like a workbench and all the building parts, until I looked it up online. Maybe I missed a bird conversation somewhere?

It quickly becomes obvious that you will fare far better with shelter, so I set about building a crude longhouse. Placement and snap-to are not great in this game, I had a hell of a time placing even pieces like 45 degree thatched roof rectangles that should have been easy, snap, click, snap, click…but instead my finished product looked like it was built by someone who had been hitting the mead way too hard. I ended up tearing most of it down and expanding/rebuilding, and it took longer than it should have to make certain every piece was going together without gaps, overlaps or alignment issues. The end result was a nice little starter home with a bed, a chest, a workbench and a fire (with hole in the roof to allow the smoke to escape). Putting a couple of torches out front makes it much easier to find in the night.

So now I’ve built the chopping block and upgraded my workbench, I have an upgraded flint axe, plenty of wood and stone and flint, but I’m not sure what to do next. The bird hasn’t talked to me in a while, and I haven’t learned any new crafting recipes either. I think I may try hunting down a lot more boar to gain the leather for making better armor, a shield and a bow. Probably craft the flint spear as well. I assume with the bow I can bring down a deer, which in turn will open more crafting options.

Me neither although I am 20 hours ahead of you. Lots in this game comes down to progress via exploring. You will find new stuff which opens new opportunities. I don’t know what to do with my tin and copper and my forge… I’d like to build a real boat. I guess I should keep exploring.