Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

It’s not for everyone, nor is it for every situation, but sneaking behind things and hitting them with the alt attack on the knife is extremely effective. The hitbox on trolls is a little wonky, so it does take some practice. Be prepared to run and hide to lose aggro and try again.
Also, the bronze axe is pretty crucial for certain non-combat purposes.

Ahhh!!! That makes much more sense, thank you! Seems like laying down footers to raise my floor off the ground just results in less integrity, not more, as the connection to the ground is now one level removed. Guess I should be laying floors directly on level ground, and then laying vertical support beams outside of the floor tile also connected directly to ground to make all of the bottom layer blue if I want upper layers to all be green. Then when I can work with stone, I could always put stone foundations down, as I assume those count the same as connecting to “ground”.

I was thinking of expanding my longhouse into a true two-story building, with an open balcony I could shoot my bow from (for when the forest is moving). This knowledge will make that task much less frustrating. I had watched a few Valheim building videos, but none that explained the system so well as that one.

I need to practice parrying on some less deadly foes first, but that sounds like a decent plan. Maybe soften them up with some fire arrows first.

I’m pretty good at sneaking, but the thought of trying to stick a little copper knife up a trolls arse for the surprise kill isn’t terribly appealing. ;-) I may make the bronze axe next (instead of the helmet) as, like you mention, it’s useful outside of combat and I have some birch trees just outside my home that need to be turned into fine wood.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I would definitely make the Bronze axe first. Also for this tier and the next, make some nails asap…

Boat launch

Ha, yeah saw that one the video is hilarious.

Also on fighting trolls who have clubs, we have had three cases of vanishing copses with those guys now.

It’s unclear if some physics is maybe smashing the corpse below the world or if the troll hits the corpse object and destroys it. But we can all go back, and I even tried digging down where the corpse location is marked and it is just not there.

Three different players, three corpses marked on map but not there, and the only commonality was death by troll club.

I was not as far along, and killed enough trolls for a full set of armour made with their skins. I had leather armour and the crude bow with standard wood arrows, at level 3.

Just run around shooting them (in the head if possible), dodging their attacks. They have pretty big windups and slow movements. One-on-one it is not too hard. Then you can collect all the wood and stone they create from trying to smash you. :)

I understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but for my money it is hands down the best way.

If you want to go the bow kiting route, that is also extremely effective. Even more so once you’ve graduated up from the crude bow.

I bought this for my group this weekend. So far we’re having a blast. They were pleasant surprised.

6 going on 7 year old nephew is doing okay. He is super excited to play it but sad he can’t play it every day with me because of his bedtime and time zone.

I really do think it’s super hilarious that the first death was him… caused by me. As I tried to explain to the six year old, the tree I cut down did not kill him. The tree I cut down, hit this other tree, which hit another tree which produced a log which proceeded to roll over him. His auntie was quite sorry, and made it up to him by not only giving him stuff but also forgiving him when he dropped a tree on our house with me in it. I survived that, but it was interesting watching things like fall around me. The physics of the trees falling make no sense.

So i’m either losing my mind or stuff is disappearing from my base on Wanderers. Could be someone taking it or a bug.

Like all of my copper/bronze,tin ore, berries, carrot seeds and iron.

Anyone seen anything like that?

There’s a “ward” item that makes it so people can’t build or open doors in an area.

Picked up a copy for me and my son to try and we had a blast. Really wasn’t feeling the game watching the videos and reading the descriptions but I was getting tired of seeing ‘xxxxxx is playing Valheim’ rolling up on Steam and had to see what all the fuss was about. Other than the terrain flattening it’s been a very polished experience. While I can flatten now I had to watch videos and it’s still way more wonky than I would like. But that’s about it for negative experiences, well, minus it can be a bit grindy.

New patch notes up as of a couple of hours ago, but not many changes. I did notice they allow you to specify an option for direct connection local servers instead of routing through Steam. That explains my 17ms connection time to a server in the house. Never caused a problem, was just weird.

Spent my 90 minutes last night mining copper and tin enough to make the bronze axe and bronze helmet, completing my bronze armor set. Next up will be the bronze round shield so I can get the nice parry bonus now that I am learning how to parry. I also would like to make the bronze spear and sword, then start upgrading my forge levels. I’m going to need a lot of copper and tin…

I did get a little bored while mining last night and took a side trip to investigate some rattling skeleton noises (including the telltale bow twang) I heard nearby. I found a stone tower with 4 skeletons inside, including two archers that had apparently killed a couple of grey dwarves that strayed too close to the tower (drawn by my mining noise most likely). I cleaned the place out and looted the chest at the top. I had hoped to maybe shoot some fire arrows from the top of the tower at the troll that interrupts my mining operation constantly, but he was too far away. He probably would have just smashed the tower and brought me down with it anyway. Nearby I found the ruin that the grey dwarves had come from, with their Shaman still inside. Killed him and looted their chest, lots more treasures to bring home for when I finally find the trader guy.

It is amazing how time flies by in this game. 90 minutes passed and it felt like I’d just started playing. If I had less self-control I could easily see myself staying up until 2:00AM mining, smithing, hunting, looting, building and exploring. You’re always thinking about the next task in Valheim, there is always something you want to do or achieve. That is the hallmark of a good gaming experience, and Valheim nails it. The devs deserve every penny they’ve made over the last month, and I hope they use that success to continue building on the game for years to come.

The Hall of Things to Store Things In is complete. Pfft, 90 minutes…I wish.

We also finally got around to rolling Bonemass. Why get your hands slimy when the proles can do the heavy lifting?

Holy crap dude. Which one has the Ark of the Covenant in it? ;-)

I have searched many a mountaintop now and still have not found a rune telling me where the next boss is. It’s getting a little annoying.

For whoever was having trouble finding silver, it seems like there a minimum size of the biome, or perhaps distance from the edge, where silver spawns. I’ve never detected any on small single mountaintops, but found plenty in larger blobs of mountain.

So true. I’ve got almost 20 hours of pottering around taking my time casually just doing… stuff, so far. Not even seen the 2nd boss yet. :D

What is it the kids say, FTFY- come on man show some respect ;-)

Finally found a rune telling me where the mountain boss summon is. It was a one minute walk from the rune. In the direction I was already exploring. Well that was useful.

Does performance seem worse for anyone else after the last update?

Ha! I rarely made it to 2:45AM even when I was young enough to bounce back the next day. Doing that now would probably kill me.

I had no issues last night, but I play solo, not on a server.

Spent my 90 minutes last night stocking up on some deer hides, leather scraps, boar and neck meat and berries while using my new bronze axe to fell several birch trees for fine wood. Used that to craft and upgrade a fine wood bow. What an improvement over the crude bow! Also unlocked all the fine wood related crafting items, wow!

While doing all of this I decided to scout further south and west of my home. Since moving to the coast I’d been hunting/gathering in the Meadows to the northwest, and mining in the Black Forest further north of that, with a forward operating base (fire, workbench, storage) on the border between them. There is ocean directly east of my home, and a decent sized river directly south, but there was unexplored Meadow further west along the river and I could see more Meadow on the other side of the river, so I decided to scout the area. Turns out all this time there has been Black Forest just off the edge of my explored map area to the west and south. I scouted west in the Meadow until the river narrowed and I could find a ford, crossed over to the south side of the river and Black Forest was right there all along the oceanfront and back deep to the west. All that time spent running back and forth to the forest in the north, and I had one less than half the distance from my front door this whole time. Doh.

So I explored a bit of the new Black Forest and immediately discovered a Burial Chamber on a little island on the coast. Cleaned it out for some loot and 2 more cores. Cleaned out a dwarf ruin too, but no chest sadly. I found a troll cave, which I will leave alone for now, and mined a bunch of tin along the coastline. I can build a cauldron now (along with the fermenter) so it looks like I’ll be busy figuring that out soon (I gather I’ll need it for resistance potions for the Black Forest boss). I was worried my copper and tin deposits to the north were not going to be enough to build everything I needed…now I have double or more what I thought I had. Woohoo! Lesson learned : It pays to explore.