Vampire Rain for 360/PS3

Info online is apparently hard to come by, but I found out about this from a pretty enthusiastic review of the Japanese version in Play (yeah, I know. that should be warning enough).

But my interest was piqued (or peaked, as Play would undoubtedly write), and I was wondering if any of you had played the original version or had any more info on the upcoming American version, what changes it was going to have (please don’t fix the engrish), etc. I admit that while it is registering high on the fruitometer, the concept of Splinter Cell + vampires x bizarro Japanese version of LA is intensely appealing on a lot of levels…any thoughts?

All I’ve heard is that you sneak constantly, because the enemies can utterly annihilate you in straight up combat. Haven’t seen anything of the gameplay except sneaking around and hiding from vampires.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s a 360 exclusive. Published in the US by Microsoft, I believe.

I will buy if the theme song is done by The Weather Girls.

I’ve played the import.

The controls are more or less identical to Splinter Cell, and essentially, if you’re seen, you’re dead. I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to clear the first level.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen the play review of the J version? I would be incredibly entertained if it was all pictures of the first level b/c he was unable to pass it as well.

It may well be for 360 alone as that would make sense. I don’t know where I got the idea it was for PS3 as well.

The sneak-or-die motif apparently undergoes a conversion to a more actiony interaction with the enemies as the game goes, iirc, as you develop new weapons and stuff like that. That’s what intrigued me, little details like having to tag/id a vampire before they will show up on your radar, and the constant fear of death. Well, that, and the engrish.

What was weird was that the import, if your 360 was set to display in English, had full English voice acting, albeit the kind of full English voice acting you’d expect from a third-tier company doing the localization. Everyone was using their strong clear outdoor voice.

I can make it rain on Vampires!? That rocks. The Goth strip clubs I attend don’t really allow it. So a simulation is just what I’ve been looking for.

Played this at TGS last year, and it’s basically Splinter Cell with vampires and the difficult turned up to a billion. This game is out to kill you as quickly and efficiently as possible. Obviously it may have changed since then, but what we played was not what one would term “fun.”

I’ll wait for Harker.

Or you could just hold a lighter up to the smoke detectors.

I should have listened to you. This 59$ impulse buy was a serious mistake I regret immediately. The AI is surreally homicidal…IN THE TUTORIAL. Jesus Christ, don’t buy this game. It has a lot of cheeseball promise, in a splinter cell knockoff ported-from-ps2 way. But I would hesitate to consider it a good value as a 5$ download. I will try again later once a few hours of zombie decapitating has evened the score between the undead and team Lizard. But I have that same sick feeling I got when I bought Dark Corners of the Earth.

How dare you compare the unadulterated shitfest that is Vampire Rain to Dark Corners of the Earth.

DCOTE was rough around the edges, but it had fantastic atmosphere. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Vampire Rain, on the other hand, is the worst game I have played since Bad Day LA.

(BTW, there is a demo of it available on either the JP or EU marketplaces. Just make a JP or EU silver acct and you, too, can experience Vampire Rain!)

It’s a bit of a stretch, but not the monocle-popper you suggest.

DCOTE was rough around the edges, but it had fantastic atmosphere.

“She’s fat, stupid, and carries disease, but has a great personality.”

I enjoyed it thoroughly.

“So I hit it. So what? You got a problem with that? FUCK YOU!”

Vampire Rain, on the other hand, is the worst game I have played since Bad Day LA.

I don’t know that game, but I wouldn’t be surprised. The reason I compared the two is because I went into both because I’m interested in the genre despite the warnings of complete strangers, reviewers, and friends alike. In both cases I could not make it far past the intro, because the gameplay was so unspeakable it made me physically ill.

The fact that DCOE is Half Life 2’s retarded cousin, and VR is Splinter Cell’s just makes the analogy all the more tragic. Now, you may well have a much higher pain threshold for Cthulhu titles than I have for vampires or lovecraft games, but I stand by my comparison.

(BTW, there is a demo of it available on either the JP or EU marketplaces. Just make a JP or EU silver acct and you, too, can experience Vampire Rain!)

My only goal is to make it far enough to where you actually start killing them. I suspect that’s really late in the game. If only GH3 or Bioshock would come out already.

Actually, it’s more like a good looking girl with a nice body, good personality, but she drinks too much.

And, you’re in for a treat:

“You see, the vampires come down to earth in the raindrops. Making the raindrops chubby.”

Fat stupid and carries disease is “rough around the edges”? Jeez, what would “terrible game” be?

That was my point. DCOE is rough around the edges like that girl is. They both gave me VD, so to speak, and a lifetime of shame.

Wait, you mean I missed that crucial bit of exposition? Because I heard some real brain melters in the parts where I was listening, but nothing that good. This game would be awesome if it didn’t suck.

I think he was quoting that movie I can’t remember the title of.

It was that one where Eddie Murphy stopped being funny.

You’re going to have to be A LOT more specific.

EDIT: Bowfinger, says google. Now if you’d say “where Eddie Murphy wasn’t funny again” I would have been less puzzled.