Vampire Survivors - How did no one think of this before?

You do need to wait for some unlocks before finishing a stage is doable, just keep chipping away at all the cheaper ones, in about three runs or so you’ll land on a good build that kicks you right to the end with relative ease.

What does luck do? I know it can give an extra choice. But does it also determine treasure chest stuff?

Now that you asked the question I wasn’t actually sure, but I kept stacking it because I was sure it increased my chance of getting multiple items from chests.

I just googled it and thank gosh, it does. That and a lot of other good stuff, like increasing your chance of getting pickups from light sources.

I picked this up today knowing nothing about it other than a general positive buzz and the low price. It’s really good! I totally get the appeal. This’ll get a lot of play on my Steam Deck.

The big one outside the extra pick are the drops like ground chicken (love that title) and whatnot.

I loved this game and hit all the unlocks in just over a week, then started playing every game I found that was the same genre. Then the DLC hit and I finished the unlocks there in a few hours. something about the games are super addictive.

At any rate, have now played 20 Minutes Till Dawn, Army of Ruin, Brotato, Forced Showdown, Nordic Ashes, Rogue:Genesia, Scarlet Tower and Soulstone Survivors. Some deviate from the formula more than others but all have had their own unique spins.

Good god man, I wish I had as much time on my hands to finish VS in a week.

Hadn’t heard of this one looks neat, but difficult…a bit light on content this early in EA. Opinions?

It’s fun and aesthetically looks nice. Most of these are a bit lacking in actual content with the exceptions of Forced Showdown which is years old and the least like VS and Soulstone Survivors which already has a ton of stuff in it.

Nordic Ashes and Army of Ruin both have some issues with mob avoidance for me. Army of Ruin has tons of weapons that aim where you are walking which are my least favorite type (think the knife in VS). Nordic Ashes has no weapons you aim, only auto-aim weapons and currently the auto-aim is very, very bad imo with some weapons aiming at nothing even during boss fights.

Scarlet Tower just had a huge patch which basically doubled the stuff in it and is coming along quite well, has the added benefit of autoaim AND manual aim with a quick toggle. It is the most like VS in appearance as well.

Rogue: Genesia is probably the ‘deepest’ of them.

Honestly if you like the genre, any of the ones on my list would probably be worth the cost since most of them are $5 or less.

edit: I try to avoid self promotion, but realize it might be helpful in this case for you guys. I stream pretty much daily and if you pop in and want to see one of these I can just switch games and do a few runs to give you a better feel for what it is if you are curious. Hark Stream

Does anyone like those?

I assume somebody does, and they must work on the dev team for Army of Ruin because it seems to have more weapons that require manual aim than not and is one of the few games on my list without independent aim from movement. Game is still fun for me, but it’s definitely one of the bigger downsides of that one in particular. I think I’d rather have either right stick aim, or everything auto than stuff that shoots forward only.

edit: Also both Army of Ruin and Nordic Ashes have some rudimentary Twitch integration which at the moment is mostly novel.

I like Soulstone Survivors as a VS-alike game. It came out last month and got a decent content patch last week so for now it feels like it’s being supported pretty well.

I am amazed at people who have unlocked all of the VS items. I’m decent at the game but I am stuck bigtime killing the boss on the Bone Zone. Plus there are a lot of character unlocks I’m clueless about. I still enjoy the game but I’ve gotten to the point where I do a couple of runs each day and then move on to other stuff.

Bone guy is really simple once you realize you need to not engage or make contact until you have high dps. He only gets bigger/stronger once you are spotted.

The first company to really nail a coop or even a coop/competitive version of this model might be sitting on a goldmine.

This is an excellent free Vampire Survivor clone. It is a labor of love and still being worked on.

hard to turn down free, will add that to my list to rotate on stream. thanks!

Didn’t mean to sidetrack the thread so hard. Triple spear in …Soulstone? is a favorite of mine. Also, the orb abilities in Army.

Appreciate the offer, Hark. I’ve watched stuff on your channel before, but I’m not usually watching live.

I like the knives, or at least I like the fully evolved knives. An endless stream of pointy things to fling the direction you’re facing is very handy with bosses.

About seven hours in and I just lucked into the 6 Evo unlock. Thought I’d have to really plan that one out, but I got super lucky with the map drops.

none of the stuff in Soulstone is what we are talking about, because all of those are aimed independently of where you are moving. What orb in Army are you talking about?

Arcane orb, e.g. maybe it’s aimed, I don’t recall. I was sure that triple spear ability was the direction you were facing. Maybe I’ve got the wrong game, sorry. I get the different ones mixed up sometimes.