Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines II

In a way, a proper and true sequel, then. ;)

The studio’s made a couple of narrative hires:

I hope they stick to the “get current stuff out the door” plan.

Unfortunately I’ve never played any of the games I can find on their credits list on IMDB so these hires don’t impact my hopefulness one way or the other.

Ghost of Tsushima people liked, but was it for writing? And all I know about ME:Andromeda was that people seemed very angry at it.

Oh well; I’m just hopeful that since they both mentioned they’re excited for their future projects without emphasizing Vampire, it might mean the narrative is fairly locked in and doesn’t need a ton of work. I’m still pessimistic but at least these announcements didn’t make me more so.

Why is that? I’d rather they release a finished game then rush it out the door with some hackery brought about by new hires.

I mean, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt but if its…this game just needs to get shitted out now. No thanks.

I wasn’t implying that I hoped they rush the final stretch of production to get it out the door, but rather hoping the new hires will stick to the initial design that Mitsoda and co pitched and have spent the better part of four years developing. It’s what Jordan Mychal Lemos tweet said he’ll be helping Hardsuit do.

The CEO of Paradox doesn’t think Bloodlines II will ship in the first half of 2021, which is a little concerning for a game that was supposed to ship in Q1 this year.

https://www.avanza.se/placera/telegram/2020/11/17/paradox-tror-inte-bloodlines-2-slapps-under-1h-2021-vd.html

That is pretty much every game for me. I never finish anything.

Well, I have the wherewithal to know I couldn’t care less what a CEO thinks.

I want to know what the game’s director thinks. Furthermore, I’ll even settle for the QA lead over the fucking CEO.

Really, at this point, my main concern would be “is this thing a total clusterfuck, or does it have a snowball’s chance of being even modestly good?”

I’m pretty sure the CEO has a pretty good idea if the project isn’t expected to ship in the first half of the year, reported by the game director and producer. I’m not really sure I follow.

Ah yiss, it might ship this quarter. You too speak the language of fiscal years?

I dunno, with all the shit that’s gone down with this game lately…if delaying it until the second half of next year will help them iron out some wrinkles, I’m for it.

I was so excited when they announced this game. Had no idea the journey would be filled with such drama.

Apparently developing a game in this universe is destined to be fraught with difficulty. It is a pretty ambitious concept.

Based on Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect Andromeda, Dragon Age Inquisition, and whatever that new-ish Microsoft game was (Distant Worlds maybe?), most game developers don’t understand that what people like about open world style games is not “collect 8 rat pelts for me” quests. So I go into these kind of games assuming they will be beautiful but ultimately unfulfilling.

Even the original Bloodlines declined in quality extremely rapidly past the first act, though I imagine it is because they ran out of time/money.

Every once in awhile we luck into a Witcher 3 or Skyrim but they really are the exceptions and not the rule.

Haha. I enjoyed Skyrim but it does not belong in the same sentence to Witcher 3 if talking about quality of sidequests and writing :)
Skyrim had so many timewasting fetchquests…so…many…

Now if you had put New Vegas, Kingdom Come or RDR2 in that sentence all I could do would be nod in agreement.

Skyrim’s quests and writing are vastly inferior to Witcher 3, I don’t think anyone could debate it sensibly. I’m not even arguing that they are the same quality level game-wise. But Skyrim does belong in the same sentence with Witcher 3 in regards to games that successfully execute an open world game design, which is really the point I was making.

I find most open world games dreadful. Just dreadful. So I’ve always been a bit skeptical about this project. Hoping for the best, but you generally don’t fire the entire creative team when things are going “the best”. Guess we’ll see!

It really does - While Witcher 3’s quest writing was a lot better, I find Skyrims world a lot more realized and well done than W3’s, which to me was just okay.

I’m pretty concerned this is going to be a huge disappointment. So like you I say, delay away.

Fair enough, it’s just that you were specifically talking about quest design and the “collect 8 pelts” kind of stuff that plagues open world games, and then listed Skyrim as an example of doing it right, which does not parse. But it seems we actually agree.
Bloodlines 2 will not be an open world game of that typical mold though. I expect its structure to be very similar to the first game as well as its focus on meaningful sidequests. How well written those will be however, after both Mitsoda and Avellone are gone, is anyone’s guess.

Yea these two games have different design goals. Skyrim is much more of a “make your own hero” sandbox, Witcher is all about the story and characters. Cyberpunk will have more emphasis on sandboxish elements but still will be story-first kind of game at heart.

I’ll probably cancel my preorder on GoG. Such a disappointing development.

I am very, very concerned that you are going to be exactly right, and that pains me.

There have been very few games I WANTED a sequel to more than the original Bloodlines game. And the idea of it being a complete disaster…it breaks my heart.