Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines II

I’ve tried to play a Malkavian, but I never get past Jack with it. The fonts drive me nuts. Too much squinting for my old eyes!

Releasing to all digital stores on day 1.

Until it runs over budget and long…

;)

Just finished my 5th playthrough of VTMB, my first in seven years. It still holds up! Well. Mostly. It’s pretty weird walking into an office there’s literally nothing in the room besides a desk and a chair. Otherwise the room is totally barren. No flair or fluff at all.

I also got the “worst” ending. The one that doesn’t reveal that Jack was behind the whole thing. For laughs.

I only just saw this bit, very interesting. Makes me think Paradox won’t try and move Age of Wonders Planetfall to EPIC exclusivity either.

There will be a new video interview with Brian Mitsoda on No Clip tomorrow. Bloodlines 2’s pitch sounds like one of those really risky long-shots that fortunately paid off. :)

And here is the full video:

Excellent video. It made me look up Brian Mitsoda to remind myself and I realized I never played Dead State. I notice there is a “final” version, Reanimated, available now. How good/bad did Dead State end up being? I searched but couldn’t find a thread for it.

Is there a thread for Dead State, or do folks here have opinions? Worth trying?

I’m in the middle of playing Dead State, I’ve put about 60 hours in so far. I think I’m coming close to an ending but I’m not sure. The game has been a ton of fun. The meat of the game is going out to locations and scavenging for supplies while surviving zombies and other humans. I do wish there was a bit more depth to the combat but I’ve been having plenty of fun anyway.

I’m not sure what the game was like before the ‘Reanimated’ patch but I haven’t had any crashes or major bugs. I can only think of one very minor bug that I’ve run into. The graphics are servicable, it looks nice but very bland.

I got it for about $5 when it was on sale. After playing it a bunch I would have paid more than that too. There is also a demo that you can grab, it lets you play 7 days of in-game time which I think is plenty of time to see if you will like what the game is doing.

Also here are the two threads QT3 has for Dead State:

Detailed PCGamer preview

It truly sounds fantastic. I pray to all gaming gods that Cyberpunk, Bloodlines 2 and Outer Worlds all deliver.

I am so buzzed about what I’m hearing, just hope Paradox doesn’t ruin it with their DLC models. One clan with the main game, DLC purchase required for Malkavian, etc.

If you read the article it says there will be five clans. It would also very very difficult to add additional clans given the way gameplay would work - again, from the article :)

I see this a lot, and it’s always puzzling. You know it’s just their own grand strategy games that have lots of content produced in the form of DLC, right? Not every single game they publish? Also, what would be wrong with a ton of additional content being created post-release?

My biggest problem with Age of Wonders 3 was we only got two expansions. I’d freaking love the opportunity to keep getting more and more expansions and content packs, ala Total War Warhammer 1 & 2 or Stellaris and Crusder Kings 2, for Age of Wonders Planetfall now they have a more expansive engine, but it would be up to the developers, not Paradox, to do that.

Ahem, Cities: Skylines might wish to have a word with you there Scott. 20 DLC in and it doesn’t look like stopping just yet, even with how crazy talented the modding scene is. So not too far behind Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV in terms of additional content. Not that it has necessarily been a bad thing for Cities: Skylines, but you do feel like the game could do with a sequel by now since the current engine is showing its age in terms of performance and limitations.

An RPG is a different proposition to a GSG though, so I guess something like Tyranny might be a better analog for what sort of DLC one might see with VTMB2. Which would suggest expanding upon the base game with new quests and the like, as commonly happens with most RPGs.

Sounds incredible. I hope they can pull it off.

Alarm bells are still going off here. Seems like they’re biting off a lot. (Vampire pun!)

Yep, especially given their teamsize (afaik around 70 people) it seems quite overly ambitious.

Then again so were the first Bloodlines, and those were made by even smaller team on much worse and less proven engine.

I wonder if they’ll be the first open world questing game that doesn’t include a single version of a “bring me 11 rat pelts” quest.

You’d think by now designers might avoid them, but even the Witcher 3 had a few.

That would be an actually exciting development.

I didn’t see anything about this being an open world game. They said it was hub-based, like BL1.

I mean… what exactly is hub-based? In my mind, Witcher 3 is hub-based, but also open world (the quests largely radiate from certain areas, though some are only discovered through exploration).

It’s been so long since I played BL 1 that I don’t entirely remember every little thing you did in it, but wasn’t it about as open world as games with any kind of graphics were capable of being back then? But I do remember the various areas, which seem roughly analogous to Witcher’s different zones, though maybe in BL1 you couldn’t return to previous areas… I truly don’t recall.

So what exactly is the difference between hub-based and open world? Some popular games that fall in both categories might be helpful for mental reference.

In any case my main point was that I don’t know anyone IRL who finds “bring me 11 rat pelts” to be compelling gameplay, and yet every game with quests is inundated with them.