Veep, aka, You're Not Even Your Mom's Favorite Jonah

Ah, thanks for the correction. We’ve been out from under your Queen’s rule for quite some time now, so I’m not sure what you guys call things anymore.

-Tom

I recently started watching the show from the beginning. I got hooked around Episode 3 or 4. Last week I finally finished Season 4, and even as someone who loves the show, I was amazed at how good Season 4 was.

So it was nice to hear how many Emmy Awards this show got last night for Season 4. Including for best Comedy, one for Dryfus, one for Hale, and Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche also won Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series for the episode “Election Night.” Congrats to the show. Well deserved.

So far behind on episodes :(

I am only into episode 2 of season 2, and its so good. What a robust episode! :)

Oh, man, C*ntgate! What a great episode. So many highlights, but I just loved Gary’s reaction when he learned which C-word they were actually talking about. Man, is he funny. I can’t wait to watch it again to savor all the filthy poetry.

And I noticed it was directed by JLD’s husband Brad Hall.

Just started watching season 4, I am catching up! That epic speech where the prompter goes out, so good.

Veep might be the most consistently amazing thing on TV right now. I hope it lasts forever and ever.

-Tom

I liked but didn’t love the first two seasons. In my mind the 3rd season, went from a well done satire, to a farce. But I’m glad others are enjoying it.

I thought the Congressional Christmas Party episode was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, but then they roll out with Camp David the following week and I died.

“You have a very narrow vagina, yes?”

“In America, we call it ‘tight’.”

Peter MacNicol is the best thing about this year’s run of a very good series.

Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, VEEP and Last Week Tonight is a freaking murderer’s row of prime time TV.

You’re so used to him on network TV (“we fear the FCC”) that it’s a pure joy to hear him spew invective like that.

Plus, he could make Richard president if he were only 10% less black.

I am really getting a kick out of MacNicol’s rageaholic character but even more than that, so glad they got Diedrich Bader back this season. And even more than that, I totally love Richard Splett - would love more focus on that guy for even just an episode. But even still, my favorite of all is Gary Cole’s character. That guy is just awesome in everything, and so great on Veep. Damn what a crapload of great characters to choose from.

“Does she choke for coke?” Jonah’s Howard Dean scream. The Camp David kiss. “Take the apple! It was an endearing gesture!”

This season is getting better and better as it goes along.

Spletnett.net is an American treasure that keeps on giving

Gotta think the hardest PSAs to do are for literacy, because your target audience can’t read the ads to find out where to go for more info. Guess there’s radio. But still… Tough one. Stay in school kids!! Although, if you can’t read what I just wrote, I guess… you know what, never mind. Live your life!! Shoot. Can’t read that either.

Hey Marvel: I’d like to see a Watcher movie which consists entirely of the Watcher watching The Watchmen movie, which would then answer the question of who watches the watchmen? Answer: the Watcher.

I love how Splett inadvertantly stumbled into power and legitimacy and even helpfulness this season. Richard Splett, along with every single other character on Veep, deserves a spin-off.

I’m totally, 100% in love with Ben Cafferty (played perfectly by Kevin Dunn). So much pathos, so hilariously expressed.

Yep. He and Gary Cole are a riot together.

More from Splettnett.net:

When Googling “Splett” you may accidentally get “Spleen.” Here’s how to tell the difference and some interesting similarities…

1. Director of Communications for Rep. Ryan of New Hampshire: SPLETT
  1. Organ found in most vertebrates which functions as a blood filter: SPLEEN
  1. Helps Candidate Jonah Ryan on a daily basis: BOTH

What, no love for Matt Walsh from you people?

But, really, we might as well just list the entire cast. What an embarrassment of riches.

-Tom

I’m just catching up and am in the middle of season 2, and here’s why I’m in love with this show, in a microcosm.

There’s a scene where Dan (Reid Scott) and Mike (Matt Walsh) are trying to ingratiate themselves with Kent (Gary Cole). Mike says something offhand about getting struck with a boom, and he and Kent start talking about sailing. They’re sailing geeks. They’re totally connecting!

And then Dan says something about riding in a powerboat once, and they both give him these withering, dismissive looks.

I know nothing about sailing or boating, really. But what I love is that the scene is written and acted so beautifully that it’s absolutely hilarious and memorable because of the context present. There’s great writing and acting like that all over this thing.

Toooootally. The dialogue gets most of the attention but there’s a ton of great work in the directing and performances. (Hey, weren’t we just saying the same thing about The Witcher 3?!) Selina and Gary are particularly great together… In JLD’s WTF interview, she likens her work with Tony Hale to having a dance partner.

Fantastic episode.