Veronica Mars

I was recently turned onto this show by an article on RollingStone.com, and because I don’t get UPN was forced to turn to BitTorrent and Suprnova to resolve my need to see if it was as good as the hype.

After downloading and watching the first three episodes, I can give this new show a solid thumbs up. It’s teen fare, sort of, but it’s the kind that anyone can sink their teeth into (a la Buffy, Smallville) and should.

I call the show a cross between Nancy Drew and The O.C., though that really doesn’t do it justice. It’s got a dark sensibility to it that isn’t captured by that description.

The acting is not particularly stellar, but it’s off to a good enough start that I think a lot of the young actors will grow into their roles, given the chance. It reminds me of Season 1 of Buffy in that way. The highlights are Kristen Bell, who plays Veronica, and Enrico Colantoni (Elliot from “Just Shoot Me”) who plays her private detective father.

If you’re planning on checking out the show and don’t want any major plot outline spoilers, I’d recommend not reading any further.

[spoilers]

There’s a surprising amount of disturbing stuff happening in the show, the first episode has the title character lose her best friend in a brutal murder, and lose her virginity to a roofies induced date-rape shortly thereafter. Harsh stuff. That being said, I’m very impressed by the toughness displayed by Veronica in the first episode. She’s a young woman who can take care of herself, without the benefit of Slayer super powers.

[/spoilers]

Anyone else watching this and enjoying it? If you’re anything of a Buffy fan, you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t check it out.

/Eph

3rd best new show of the year after Lost and Desperate Housewives. Enjoy it while you can, UPN will kill it dead, like they kill every other spark of goodness and joy that has the misfortune of passing through their feeble, twisted grip.