Veronica Mars

I feel ashamed to admit it.

Hi, my names something or other and I watch Veronica Mars. Then again, I also watch Desperate Housewives and I feel less ashamed to admit that for some reason.

When I first saw this on the usual television episode download websites, I looked it up and saw that the lead actress was 24 years old and playing a 17 year old - this gave me painful flashbacks to Starhunter, where a 25 year old (or so) playing a teenager was so unbelievably bad that the memory still pains me. So, I dismissed the show as adolescent clap-trap and decided not to watch it.

However, a friend had slipped it onto a hard-disk for me and with nothing else to do, I thought “why not”, and submitted myself to it. It was actually pretty good. I’d been wanting a private detective television series and this was actually kind of ok as oneIts kind of like Buffy but less cheesy and less tacky, and with a more attractive actress.

Is anyone else watching this?

ye… i mean, no! no!

I had never heard about it, but I downloaded the pilot and it looked pretty good.

spoilers you damn west cost fools!
saw the ep tonight. pretty good. i like how she figured out the election was rigged in the first half hour instead of it being dragged out over the entire hour.

oh, and getting your dad to donate half a million dollars that he didn’t want to? priceless.

closet full of belts? yikes.

that was last week’s episode. this week’s episode was about her paternity test.

When it hit the part where she considered her incestuous relationship, it struck me that I never would have seen that handled so well in other similar shows I watch.

Its a pity that the overarching storyline is so obvious and pointless ([size=1]the mother had to have done it[/size]).

Great, why did you have to mention this tv series? Now I want to know how it goes, and considering how badly it does there’s a pretty big risk that we’ll never find out (in an entertaining way at least). I actually don’t think that Veronica and Duncan are siblings, but I suspect that Weevil and Lily are (or were). Why would her mother let her date her brother? (Not that everything makes sense of course).

I don’t know why I like this when I don’t like Buffy or similar very much. It might have something to do with Veronica’s strength, I like the character a lot.

Thats a pity to hear. Its strange, but this is the television program I enjoy the most at the moment - and theres a lot of entertaining programs on at the moment (at least to my taste).

I don’t know why I like this when I don’t like Buffy or similar very much. It might have something to do with Veronica’s strength, I like the character a lot.

For me, its the feel of it. When I look back in comparison to Buffy, it feels like the world Buffy lives in was more contrived to fit the stories. It feels like a more believable world - and I don’t just mean for lacking the fantasy aspects.

Actually it was this weeks episode as well. With only 22 episodes planned there will be a lot of reruns. Next week’s episode should be new, but then there will be at least two more reruns.

It’s more believable than Buffy, but it is hardly realistic. After watching all nine episodes I still love it though.

probably still on the west coast so :

spoilers

ok, how did veronica know 13 meant the neptune basketball player and not the other high school? the end felt a bit rushed, so things whizzed by me before i got a good grasp on them…

also, what did the coach say right before the principal took the guilty student away? something about, “yeah you can see??..trophy??..”

I think she knew it because it was the version that made sense. I tried listening to what the coach said and I think it was “here is your pirate pride trophy next to the parrot Jack” but I’m not sure.

I’m a sad sorry sucker for having downloaded the first episode and falling head over heels for Ms Bell.

Damn it, there goes my productivity till i finish the season.

In other news, it must be really good if Television without pity actually lauds it without the snark.

Ah well

It’s a pity that it is not more popular. With my luck it’s going to be another Keen Eddie - a great show that gets killed off prematurely and then has a sub-standard set of DVDs released where the downloadable episodes are a better production.

Just saw a mention that Veronica Mars has been picked up for a second season.

Thank goodness for that. It is the only show on television that I would really miss, were it to be cancelled.

Awesome.

I’ll miss Scrubs too by the way.

I had a bit of spare time and watched a few episodes. It’s a very good show. I hope it doesn’t have one of those insane plot arcs that takes 4 seasons to reconcile. Here’s also hoping that it gets picked up in Australia or that my download limits get increased.
BTW, teenagers are much more stupider in real life.

Stupider ? Aren’t you a teacher ?

From what I have read, no concrete statements, there is supposed to be another plot arc for the next season which implies that the first will be resolved this season. I think I read something as well which mentioned that the upcoming episodes will concentrate on the plot arc rather than the individual jobs Veronica Mars does. Of course, I do not care to read through all the noise on the TWoP forums (and there is way more noise than signal, even if it is positive fanbói noise rather than flamey arguments) to pick out the source of these so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

However, I’d rather have a four season arc than a brilliant one season arc and then shitty subsequent seasons which bring down the quality of the first season through the association they have with them - as most series seem to be to me.

I’d rather see major plot arcs resolved in a single series. Why? In a word… ‘Firefly’.
And as supplementary evidence… ‘X-Files’.
This series is great but I can’t see it extending beyond High School, which gives it a 2 year life. I’d rather it was done right and left to stand alone. Not that that will ever happen though- success tends to encourage the ride to the bitter end.

p.s. Nutsak, allow me some poetic licence every now and then, okay?

Well, I liked the X-Files as standalone episodes and did not pay much attention to the plot arc within it. So I was happy with it the way it was, and will be happy with Veronica Mars even if it finishes unresolved. I guess it’s the story and characters that I enjoy on an episode to episode basis and having a story that ends well is less important to me than having a long run of enjoyable episodes. And forcing story arcs to a perceived length that works for some reason or other seems like an artificial change that will potentially decrease the quality of each episode and their contents.

However, I do not get the Firefly reference. Firefly never even made it to a complete season as far as I recall. Maybe what you really want is for a series to never take a risk and not to have plot arcs beyond a one episode or two episode reach where it’s guaranteed that the arc will be finished and aired?

I’d be curious to see what shows you currently watch and enjoy which conform to however it is you think they should be made, rather than based on those that are cancelled or finished and have left distaste in retrospect.