Victor Vran - Tropico devs take on Van Helsing

I’ve liked the boss battles…up until now. I’m not a fan of Apocalypse. I’ve been playing this entire time on hard, but I’m thinking of dropping it down. I just died with him less than mid health and not looking forward to that again. I’ve lost other times and redid the battle and didn’t mind, this one blows.

Try changing your weapons. For instance, try using the lightning gun and the rapier. ;)

My shotgun seems to do more damage against him. I did change my cards and powers away from what I had been doing. The sunbeam or sunburst does a ton of damage. It’s when he gets a couple helpers that I have trouble.

That’s exactly where the lightning gun can be a big help. I had troubles on that fight as well, until I realized I could try different tactics. Changing my weapons and powers and cards around eventually worked, so you might want to try that. ;)

Also, pay attention to the boss patterns. Some attacks you can avoid by dodging, and some by jumping (don’t forget you can jump!).

I switched to the lightning gun and made it to the last phase where there are like 5 helpers, but I died. I switched it to normal and made it easy peasy. There was just too much crazy stuff on the screen with the 5 guys on hard mode. Did you play hard or normal?

I’m playing normal, I think? Not sure though. But glad to know you got past that fight - it’s a difficulty spike in the game, and fights from that point on tend to be harder/trickier than before, just so you know.

Thanks for your assistance. It just didn’t dawn on me to switch weapons mid fight. I’d use the shotgun against the big guy and then switch to the lightning gun for the helpers. Then I realized I could take him down quickly with the sunburst so I just left it on the lightning gun.

Glad I could help! Me, I used the lightning gun against the helpers, and the rapier + sunray on the big guy. Worked like a charm.

BTW, I forgot to say that changing potions/bombs also helped a lot. Some of those have interesting side effects that can be really helpful.

During that fight I liked to use a vampirism potion, along with the 50% damage increase one. I was using the fill up the overdrive meter potion instead of the +50% damage, but the damage one worked out better.

I finished the story and was level 37 at that time. I think there were some areas I didn’t enter. My level may be a little high because I played most of the game on Hard with the hexes enabled which give an XP boost.

With the caveat that this genre of games isn’t my favorite - Victor Vran was pretty fun. Just the act of using the controller to maneuver, along with dodging makes the game so much more interesting to interact with than Diablo (for me). I didn’t feel like the screen was as cluttered with stuff either, which made it easier to see what was going on.

I think allowing the player to swap equipment within a battle is a bit too forgiving. Since the player has a lot of flexibility - 2 weapons, 2 demon powers, 4 (or was it 5) of the other cards, 2 potions, along with some clothing, there is ample opportunity to plan for upcoming opponents.

Hard was very manageable, up until the boss fight where I lowered it. I did turn some hexes back on for other parts of the game. I did die a bunch, but there aren’t any consequences for that. There should be to make it more interesting. Just losing harcore status (or whatever it is called) isn’t enough. Make it at least a little painful so I’m more concerned about dying. I did try to avoid death, but I’d hardly say I played cautiously.

I think Victor Vran was about the best I could expect for me to like this type of game. A Diablo-like action RPG that I didn’t find dull. I do think Diablo 3 does have a greater variety of more interesting abilities.

One of my complaints about Diablo 3, and it may just be from my lack of experience, is that I found it difficult to plan for certain types of enemies within an area. When I played a rift, I had no idea what I was going to face so I didn’t feel like I could strategize as to what my build should be. Since that seems like the interesting part of Diablo, I feel like maybe I missed out on what could have made Diablo more interesting. One thing I liked about Victor, is that when I did have trouble I found it much more clear to adjust my build for that situation.

I think what limited this game for me is that I never fell in love with any of the weapon movesets. They were unique and interesting, but none of them made me want to play nonstop.

The lack of invincibility frames on the dodge roll was also kind of a letdown, though probably necessary.