Victoria 3

Today’s dev diary:

While at first glance assimilation and conversion looked like they were just going to be the creeping progress bars like Imperator, they both have blocks based on discrimination laws. Interestingly, the blocks are opposite of each other. Pops of religions that are discriminated against will slowly convert to accepted religions. However, pops of discriminated cultures cannot convert to an accepted culture.

One of the questions in the comments asks about something like Russification. I’ll be interested to hear the answer as this was very much the era of attempts at forced cultural conversion by governments.

On last dev replies to last week it seems they don’t currently have anything that models forced government assimilation(Russification) but are considering options.

On to this week. Formables!

Regular nation formables seem to be pretty standard Paradox with helpful UI to make what you can form and how easy to see and free annexation of any subjects of yours that “should” belong to the formed country.

However, for big nations like Germany and Italy there is a new Major Unification feature to try to model those unifications(heavily heavily influenced by historical Germany). Basically, Major Powers can become candidates to form their country(say Prussia and Austria) and the minor countries involved can throw their support behind one. The candidates can fight wars to knock each other out of contention and eventually, when only one candidate remains, they can start a diplomatic play to annex all relevant powers and form their major formable. The rest of these mechanics are fine, but I really love the tie to the Diplomatic Play system.

I do hope they use the Major Unification feature in other areas of the world. India and a re-unification of China if it falls apart both seem like good candidates.

I expect that people moving at a certain rate from one pop into another due to conversion or assimilation won’t feel too much like a progress bar? I’m unfamiliar with how it works in Imperator.

I liked how they set this up.

I liked the Major Unification stuff, but I’m the regular unification seemed a bit too quick perhaps? The way it’s presented, it seemed like instant and free annexation of subjects. All too easy? On the other hand, giving other’s a hook to declare war on you to block you from it would seem a bit much.

I think the hard work is already done with the regular unification when you’re able to click the button. You’ve already taken the required land(and presumably angered your neighbors) and are only annexing countries that are already your subjects with the decision. Whereas major unification can involve incorporating a bunch of unwilling countries into your new unified nation. They said in the follow-up discussion that if every minor backs you in major unification there is no diplomatic play required, you just form the nation.

So for sure there is work involved, but I think gaining a subject is usually an easier diplomatic lift than outright annexation. It just seems strange that in a game where changing a law or constructing a building is a drawn-out process with ongoing costs and mechanics that annexing a bunch of subjects can just be an instant button click.

I’d at least hope that any minority pops or pops that would otherwise be negatively affected by the annexation would be upset/radicalize.

Potentially a great change… as long as internal politics are intertwined properly. This would be of enormous interest to various interest groups!

PC Gaming Show just had the first gameplay trailer for Vicky 3. Spoiler: Definitely technically the prettiest Paradox game yet.

Bigger for me was the confirmation that they plan to release in 2022, but no date or month given.

Au contraire! Check out the screen at the end of the trailer:

https://twitter.com/Qt3/status/1536094333366980608

Still no option to pre-load on Steam, though. I’ll check back later!

-Tom

You hurt me, Tom.

So you can get it tomorrow but only if you pay a grand? I’ve always said it’s about time early access moved to airline pricing.

Ooh, you’re good at this. Well played, rho!

-Tom

I am here gladly accepting a grand from anyone that wishes to see me play Victoria 3 tomorrow. It’ll be great, I promise.

Never played a Vicky game, but the trailer really interested me. If I wanted lo learn if this is something I might want to grab tomorrow, is there a good starting point fir research?

I don’t think it actually comes out tomorrow.

Sadly, it does NOT come out tomorrow. I was just being dumb with their “A Grand Tomorrow” tagline. But I believe it is slated for release this year.

@Scotch_Lufkin, I would say the best way to prep for Victoria 3 is probably by playing the latest Europa Universalis. I’m guessing jumping into Victoria 2 would be a pretty painful learning process since Paradox was a very different kind of developer back then. So if you’re not yet hip to Paradox’s grand strategy games, probably EU4 is the best place to start if you’re looking for some indication of what to expect with Victoria 3.

-Tom

Yeah, don’t hop straight into Vicky 2.

Unless you’re cool.

This forum needs a like button.

-Tom