Victoria 3

Why are you so wide?

Anyway, sad that most of countries like this you have to release manually. Victoria 2 mods played with this making some releasable countries work as semi-independent countries like Chinese factions. You can easily justify something like that for Finland and Poland in the case of the Russian Empire, but probably not Ukraine.

I’m not sure why they decided all of that territory goes to Ukraine, but that’s what releasable Ukraine looks like. And odd that Russia still gets that little dot on the Danube.

You can release countries as a subject, but there are only a couple of subject types and I don’t think you get to pick the type when releasing a nation.

So the fun thing about Russia losing most of its breadbasket is that I’m now making a killing on selling food to them, allowing me to expand my construction industry. Then on to building up my paper industry so I can expand my government administration enough to be able to properly tax my citizens.

Also, since released subjects inherit all of the laws of their former overlords, I can colonize from day 1. Leading to this silliness. But hey, no malaria and access to sulfur production which I don’t otherwise have.

And I ran into my first bug of 1.1. I had my bureaucracy and therefore taxation income plummet due to a major paper shortage before I could get my paper factories online. Quick started some import routes and got my first paper factory online which resolved the shortage, but my bureaucracy total didn’t recalculate at the country level. I could look at my Government Admin building and see it was supposed to be back to full production, but the country-level rollup didn’t reflect that and neither did my balance sheet.

Quick save and reload forced the issue and now I’m back to sane numbers.

I was crushing a US game into the 20th century, and after the patch my economy crashed, tons of radicals appeared, there was a revolt and I lost. Was it the patch or was it my inept playing? We’ll never know!

I am enjoying this game, but after 100 hours, I still feel like I understand about 15% of it.

That seems pretty typical for a Paradox game. I’ve got 160 hours on PC Stellaris and over 50 hours on the Console Version, and I just yesterday had to call a friend and ask him for an explanation on how to control Empire Sprawl.

I think Stellaris is particularly problematic since they seem to keep on doing complete reworks. Last time I played I was on the Console Version where I could still build Government Buildings to allow for more Empire Expansion — no go on the PC version. We were also remembering back when we had planetary tiles, couldn’t control more than a handful of directly planets needing governors for the rest, and of course had multiple propulsion systems.

Did you make make sure your government didn’t have super low legitimacy after the calculation change?

Speaking of, those changes are quite buggy right now and they’ll need to hotfix it soon. Two big things I know of are: 1) Adding more than 3 or so IGs all of a sudden starts adding legitimacy for each extra IG added. So if you just put every IG into government it’ll be see as very legit. Thankfully this is one you can just avoid doing. 2) They screwed up clout generation for Industrialists and they’ll basically never gain a meaningful amount of support. In my game they’ve not gone above 1% even as I industrialize heavily. I found a supposed typo fix online that I added to the appropriate definition files, but haven’t loaded the game back up to see what happens.

Well crap that explains why they never gained any clout and why I could never get free trade and laissez- faire up for a vote.

This looks like a user made fix until PDX releases a patch.

Here’s a mod showing pop needs without having to to navigate tooltips!

Yeah, I wasn’t having any luck dealing with the entrenched traditionalism as Ukraine. Probably historically so, but not something that’s going to get me close to being a top power.

Reading the PDX forums, I don’t think legitmacy is working as intended. The AI in particular seems to have a real problem. Once you piss off every IG group, then you can get in IG in your government and hence no legitimacy.

I finished my Belgium game just before the latest patch, and I certainly had a blast. I really love the economic model they have set up, and the politics are sufficiently frustrating that I think I must enjoy it as well.

The UK completely self-destructed toward the end of my run. There was a successful workers council revolution–fair enough, power to the people and all that. They moved the capital to the Midlands (I get it, heart of the working class, wot wot), but refused to build a port there. So there was no way for anyone to trade with them, and they were completely riven with shortages for the remainder of the game. Well, they could trade with Wales, who successfully revolted during their revolution, but Wales also didn’t have a port in its capital, and though they tried to build one at one point, they never finished it because they were stuck in a nearly perma-revolution with reactionary Welsh aristocrats throwing bodies at the un-general’d but firmly entrenched non-noble armies. At one point the revolution ended and I took on the Welsh debt and made a defensive pact, but then there was another revolution and even though I sent some troops over to handily win it for them, once we pushed the front out of Cardiff my general was un-deployed and I couldn’t make a naval landing because I “wasn’t at war” with them, even though I obviously was–just a straight up bug. The auto-moving of generals when fronts hit arbitrary points is super frustrating.

Also, true enough, the worst thing to happen to any country to share a world with the United Belgian States was for oil to be discovered there. Borneo, Venezuela, even Elbe were fell victim to liberation naked aggression as oil underpinned the Belgian economy and it was expensive. I was super frustrated that places like the USA were just sitting on tons of oil (PA, TX, CA) and didn’t develop it. An easy money maker, since they were already in my customs union.

Victorian Brexit simulator!

I don’t get this. Was there no port connected to the midlands? Could they not still import through London, even if it wasn’t the market center?

I chuckled, well done.

I don’t get it either. I was unable to set up a trade route with them despite both of us having free trade and laissez-faire or interventionist. (It said that I couldn’t establish a trade route because the number of goods would be zero.) When I clicked through all the menus I could, the only trade routes I could find for them were with Wales. So it’s only my best guess as for what’s going on, I should have been more explicit that I don’t know what’s what.

As much as update 1.1 seems like two steps forward and one step back in a lot of ways, the small UX tweaks they’ve made all over the place are very nice. Don’t think a lot of them were even in the patch notes, but they make things a lot smoother.

Just saw that a hotfix is coming tomorrow, but I’m not sure what will be in it. Industrialist fix I’m sure.

Playing Austria is interesting so far. I think from my game in Japan I had it in my head that I needed to crush the landowners. I need to loosen the discrimination laws so I can recognize the Hungarians and not drown in radicals from discrimination. That law change is a big -20 for the landowners. So I went about lowering their power, which tends to piss them off.

Except that with the legitimacy system, even weakened I can’t form even a weakly legitimate government without them to get the law passed. So now I am thinking maybe I need to actually appease them, get approval above 10 so the -20 for the target law doesn’t actually push them out of government. That seems easier than the alternative of ending the monarchy straight off, though that is also tempting.

Also pulling German minors into my camp and sabotaging Prussia at every turn is fun.

Doesn’t look like the Legitimacy issues are being addressed in 1.1.1, but another patch is incoming next week (content unknown).

So I think the change in 1.1 to how buildings adjust wages is welcome, but it can have some weird effects. I noticed that standard of living was dropping in one of the state where I was building a lot of iron mines (to try to counteract France stealing all my iron…).

It turns out peasants are willing to take jobs at the iron mine that result in a pretty significant drop in their standard of living. From 11.5 to 7.5. I guess they value the subsistence boost to SoL at approximately zero. The iron mine owners, in true capitalist fashion make money hand over fist because iron is expensive (damn the French), but have no incentive to raise wages because there are still plenty of peasants to lure in to their doom.

It’s all a bit weird because the way I think it should be working is my expansion of enclosed grain farms and ranches drives peasants off the land into unemployment, where the only source of sustenance they can find is to do back-breaking work in the iron mine. But in this case, there’s still plenty space on the subsistence farms, and I haven’t even expanded enclosed farms in the state in question.

This actually drives me to prioritize automation production methods a bit more. Previously I would rather someone be a labourer and have a higher SoL than a peasant, but for now I think I need to minimise the amount of labourers required since it’s actively killing my population.

That does seem weird and quite counterintuitive. Why would someone take a job that resulted in a lower SOL?

What about the issues that prevent certain IGs (industrialists) from getting clout? I’m having a hard time telling whether they fixed that, but it seems like that would make the game pretty unplayable. I put this game on a shelf after hearing about the 1.1 bugs and I’d really like to get back to it, but I don’t want to get deep into a run only to find out its fucked after dumping a bunch of hours into it.