Victoria 3

Yes, this is fixed. It’s the note about capitalists and a couple other pop types being politically inactive.

It seems to be due at least in part to discrimination. Wages are reduced for legally discriminated pops, but not subsistence. Once I managed to pass new laws, SoL of the laborers got much closer to the peasants, maybe even a tad higher.

New patch, mostly focusing on government and legitimacy

Those government changes will be big for anyone playing the game. The changes to generals moving will be very big in certain circumstances. I’ve certainly had fronts resolve with the assigned generals traveling back across the world before. Can really screw things up depending on the war.

This bug was also a pain. Glad to see it fixed:

• Fixed issue where high Legitimacy Level would increase Radicals instead of Loyalists due to an outdated cache

Oh god yes. It was so insanely frustrating when I’d put a general on a front, he’d push it forward and eventually it would split into two fronts, then he’d push his side to completion and just pack it in and head back home. Then the enemy deploys to the second front and undoes everything before I notice and get him back to the theater.

How are things going with this now? I’ve been so busy with other games I haven’t had time to really dive in.

My general feeling is the economic and political/government stuff works pretty well. I think the war/foreign policy isn’t as strong. That area should be getting the next update.

I do find the game a lot of fun as is, but it depends on what aspects interest you the most. I really enjoy playing it as a government and economics simulator.

I’m likely waiting for 1.2 to jump in with another campaign. That update should have some bigger changes to help shore up the biggest issues. Hopefully that’ll be out by the end of February.

I’ve played a few games up to the 1890’s and tended to lose interest once the internal political and economic constraints really fell away. I feel like the point where you have the laws you want and more money that you know what to do with comes too soon.

I played a Japan game with an improved AI mod and that improved opponent economies enough that I didn’t feel I could just walk over them, but I didn’t feel that engaged with the diplomacy. Great Britain could jump in to full blown war over any expansion attempt, no matter how small or how little it related to existing British possessions. China and Korea were advanced enough (due to the mod I think) that I didn’t figure I could take that territory - I did have better tech so maybe it would work but I just didn’t have the appetite for it.

In this edition, Mikael Andersson, lead designer on Victoria 3, reveals how his team approached modeling the game’s economy, addressing some of the issues that arise with similarly complex strategy games.

First big surprise feature of 1.2, private construction is making a return! Seems like a pretty reasonable direction to just turn the investment pool into funding for private construction. Now it’s just down to the AI not being entirely stupid about what it builds, but using the built-in tools to try to build profitable industries sounds like it’s already better than whatever the hell Vicky 2 capitalists were doing.

That’s a big change but I think the right call. Landowners spending their money to expand the agricultural sector and enhance their own wealth might make them a bit harder to lever out of power as well.

Sounds like an expansion-sized change, to be honest! Pretty cool it’s going to be in the 1.2 update.

It seems to me that they’ll introduce it as a pretty basic feature and iterate on it in future updates. Granted, there is still a lot of detail there in the different laws changing who invests, what gets invested in, and how much of your construction industry goes to private vs public construction. But the comments from Wiz on the dev diary talk about a bunch of other ideas for enhancing it(such as the player being able to throw money into the investment pool, or some sort of bond buying to allow pops without ownership stakes ability to invest in things) that I’d expect to be in from the start if this was the focus of an expansion. I suspect the fact that they were able to basically leverage the existing AI logic for construction is the reason this was able to get into 1.2.

Speaking of the AI, he also mentioned in the comments that they are putting a lot of effort to improve it in 1.2. Also performance.

I think I’ll give 1.2 a shot, although based on Vicky1 autonomous building could be a real screwup. I really hope they revamp the military, and they really have to fix the crazy trade bug that creates money simply by trading the same good.

Amen. Though it’s not a bug, but a conscious a design choice that leaves more of a sour taste in my mouth than I thought it would.

Edit: Well, the part where you could trade back and forth and keep adding money was a bug but they stopped that, just not the underlying insanity.

When is 1.2 supposed to drop?

Unknown, but I’d guess mid-February at the earliest.

I knew they were planning on fixed didn’t realize that had done it, good. I’m with you the way they handled trade bothers me as an economic simulation. However, I’m willing to give up a lot of realism for a good game, which Vic 3 isn’t, YET.

I’m willing to give Paradox a lot of time, but I’ll be disappointed if the major feature of 1.2 is private capital investment.