Victoria 3

I’d be curious what you think they could do to change that? I agree with you, but what I see is them trying to flesh out other areas and interactions in the game, which would make those a bigger portion of what you’re doing. More interesting diplomacy and internal politics should especially be able to do that.

I installed One Proud Bavarian’s tweak mod and keep meaning to actually start a game with it. I know part of what he did was make things that are already in the game but basically never fire like Springtime of the Peoples actually happen with regularity, which should at least add some friction that isn’t there right now.

His roleplaying game videos have been interesting too as he goes into each game with certain self-imposed restrictions and goals.

I think we are in violent agreement! Better Internal politics, and more diplomatic options are really needed to add variety. In the case of internal politics, it is generally clear to me that want more liberal policies. So I rearrange the cabinet to get my best shot and then series of choices, in the form of you can increase your chances to pass the law, with some malus to your economy or faction relationship.

For the most part I find those choices nowhere near as interesting as those in Old World. So the new additions look promising.

I now see I didn’t read chart carefully enough. I thought the only thing new in was Diplomacy " * “Allowing peace deals to be negotiated during a Diplomatic Play instead of only having the option to give in” I now see they are planning to updating many things,in Diplomacy all of which seem like good ideas.

So I take it back they do appear to be on the right pathway. Hopefully, I’ll be patient enough to wait until they got most of it done, before jumping back hardcore into the game.

And by that I think you mean the ability to build buildings in other countries.

You bet. Ever since I constructed my first building ( a granary I bet) in Hamurabi on the Apple II circa 1980 I have always wanted to make buildings in other countries, just like the Chinese Belt and Road projects. I am very thankful for the PDX team will soon make my dream a reality /s

Don’t know how serious you are with this /s, the important part of diplomacy will definitely be some sort of foreign investment. At the moment you’re in a weird situation when vassals are a burden as don’t have the technology or a desire to develop stuff you need. I gather we’ll have right to invest as an additional tier of dependent relations.

Not at all. Colonies and puppets are sort of special case, I don’t really consider them a foreign country
What I really want to see in diplomacy is better methods of entering into a better trade relation, and also alliance that actually work It’s been my experience that is really hard to get smaller countries into a into your trade union. I’ve also found that countries seldom honor alliances. As a result, I spend a lot of time improving relationship with various countries and I don’t see much tangible benefits from doing so.

Not the changes to law enactment we were really hoping for, but hopefully these changes help somewhat. Same with revolutions.

Happy with interest groups in government pushing to get certain laws passed.

“three seiges in a trenchcoat” sounds about right. It probably does help, but I still hope they eventually go to a more interesting model that features more horse trading.

New Laws! The new Land Reform group is basically their take on what One Proud Bavarian already added in his mod(at this point just hire him and make him a junior designer or something on Vicky 3!) but the new laws added elsewhere are a neat surprise. Between Single Party State and State Atheism I think the USSR is all set now. Speaking of, Single Party State looks like an incredibly powerful law that looks to be counterbalanced only by the fact that it will piss off any IG left out of the government. Love that it still has sham elections to elect the only party option!

I waited for the patch to get back to the game, and see if I got it. Which I kind of did. Decided to play to the end just the one time, wouldn’t recommend it because you’re going to give up trying to balance production a fair bit before, it’s too much. Even flooding construction becomes a chose as you then have to create unemployed for infrastructure you need to carry the oil.
I guess I jumped over Britain in France at the end as they got into a war that will never end now. Shame. Guess not a lot of people will see this screen, at least not for a few years so enjoy my almost united south america.

What do you mean about creating unemployed for oil infrastructure? I have played to the late game yet.

You need a lot of oil, and it showed up on random provinces that happened to have a small amount of population, so I needed to get rid of other jobs (buildings) to make sure they worked there. Especially because I had a few thousand too much wheat, clothes and furniture.
Maybe market dynamics with some subsidies would just work, but I have my doubts.

In my experience those oil provinces get huge migration bonuses and fill up pretty fast.

New France/Agitators Immersion Pack called Voice of the People announced. Not too much revealed about Agitators yet, but a place I’m happy to see the game going. They confirmed in the comments that next week they’ll talk about how you can engineer a sending Lenin back to Russia situation. I thought the team changes they hinted at the start was ominous, but it turns out they’ve just split into three teams with different focuses so that they can do work on multiple updates at once. Explains how they have all the 1.3 stuff coming just two months after 1.2. And oh right, 1.3 plus this Immersion Pack are due May 22. I started a France game at one point and was surprised how little unique content they seemed to have. Will be interested to see how much they end up with now after being the focus of an Immersion Pack as a sign for what we can expect in the future.

From Paradox’s press release for Voice of the People:

Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice. Glad to see he’s making an appearance in Paradox’s DLC!

Haha, nice callback!

Pretty nice Dev Diary on Agitators and additional character stuff. Happy they went back and reworked existing events to feature agitators where it makes sense. Also happy to see character interactions in general added. Things like royal marriages make sense to include even if they are far less impactful than earlier time periods. Hoping they can find the right level with their characters where they matter and are interesting to interact with without trying to turn the game into CK. As for how agitators will work out, I guess we’ll see. Something tells me that political movements will still feel lacking.

Version 1.3 drops today along with the first DLC. Good timing from my perspective as I’m starting to feel burned out on AoW4. Jumbo Pixel really likes the free update, and advises playing it first before deciding whether to buy the DLC; I already purchased it back when I bought the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA6NK_bBW4

I’m pretty excited and planning to make another run on Victoria 3, although it’s a pretty busy week for me.

I did notice that they’ve more-or-less announced the next two DLCs. In the Voice of the People announcement when taking about the Expansion pack they said:

I’ve sank nearly 40 hours into this in May. Couldn’t resist the new expansion at full cost - this game has its claws in me.