Victoria 3

I figured I’d post one more fake diary for old times sake:

All looking pretty great, especially the dev responses and the note about political parties. Once again mod potential is high.

Yep, yet again they show that they understand what didn’t work in Vicky 2 and what did work and should be expanded on. Just can’t wait for this it pretend release so I can pretend play it

Looks VERY promising, but I can see possible pitfalls, which I hope they avoid.

I can imagine a series of random events, which are kind of weird “gotchas.” Choose A or B or C, none of which describe what my actual response would be. If interest groups are mostly affected by organic decision-making with just a scattering of response to events, then great.

I also hope that it is not overly deterministic. Where game guides can honestly say, make these four moves which will accrue X points towards a particular end, and then interest group power will be as you intended. (Yeah, I am hoping for a simulation of how it is to be a country through this period, not a game of clever number crunching.)

A bit off the beaten path, but this review of a book about development economics (How Asia Works) definitely got me thinking about how much of this could be modelled in something like Victoria 3:

Edit: One quote I can’t resist:

Twelve days after taking power, General Park ordered his officers to imprison all of South Korea’s leading businessmen, then forced them to sign agreements promising to give the government all their property. Then he gave them all their property back and freed them. He wasn’t actually anti-business, quite the opposite. He just wanted everyone to know who was in charge.

Right, not posted yet.

Going to post before I read it:

Overall seems pretty good. I expect the system of laws is fully modable, so that provides a lot of potential.

Interesting that laws are basically passed in a “siege-style” mechanic where every cycle you are trying to either advance or pass the law, but adverse events can happen due to factors like having a faction opposed to the law in government (and I assume general opposition?).

I wonder what the mechanics will be for selecting laws after a revolution.

I think the model of having centralised bureaucrats providing services to all incorporated territory starts to become more of a problem if the bureaucrats and clerks also represent doctors, police, teachers, etc. These certainly feel like they should be services provided in the home state. Though maybe you get into a granularity issue where one level of government building is too much for some states.

(no simulating liberal and labor parties in game, then. cough)

I had to laugh at this feature of bureacracy,

Running a positive Bureaucracy balance is great for remaining responsive to your people’s evolving needs. In the meantime, any excess Bureaucracy will be used to marginally improve construction efforts around your country.

Maybe there is some place in the world where more bureaucrats leads to faster construction time, but I am sure in 95% of the world more bureaucrats slows down construction speed. Now there maybe some benefits higher safety, lower energy consumption, great accessibility to handicap people but faster build times ?!?

Well, more bureaucracy mana capacity could be interpreted as more adaptable (i.e. practical) bureaucracy.

I read a positive bureaucratic balance as enough bureaucrats vs regulations. Permits get processed faster, etc… so building times improve in the face of equal regulation.

I’m not sure what to think of the detailed mechanisms. It seems like mostly one national market per country, where I was thinking far-separated parts of a country might form their own markets. Also a bit nervous about lack of stockpiles, especially related to military equipment - that was a major theme of HoI4 and they had to walk it back a bit in the case of oil.

I don’t know how well it will work, but looking at how vastly underestimated the needs for the world wars were, it could be fine.

They hinted at covering the infrastructure limitations within a national market next week. Specifically mentioning that without railroads you won’t be getting goods from the Great Plains to NYC, so we’ll see then!

As for the stockpiles, my brain keeps going back to how well stocked with artillery shells the great powers thought they were prior to WW1 and how ridiculously quickly they blew through their stockpiles and started facing shortages.

Yeah it will be interesting if there will need to be a chain of infrastructure to move all of the goods to and from the market center. Now that we know that there is a specific market center, it seems plausible to calculate this.

People have made good points about how quickly the stockpiles ran out in a major war. So I guess it can work as long as divisions (active and reserve) have a purchase cost in goods and the penalties take some time to kick in.

Overall the biggest thing is that consumers pay for goods which might not be available and producers get paid for goods which might not be sold. So an oversupplied good creates money out of thin air and and under-supplied good throws money into thin air. It’s kind of a way of abstracting stockpiles and scrounging for substitutes, etc.

There is some very interesting back and forth on the blue posts about that and the associated design goals and constraints. Overall it seems like feedback mechanisms should push things in a good direction, but I’m not convinced that there won’t be some very weird stuff when the feedback mechanisms interact with a fixed base price.

Not too many surprises, but they do confirm that railways need to be connected:

Our intention for railways is that they must be able to find their way back to the market capital, or an exit port destined for the market capital, in order to be useful. In effect this means that any railway can only provide infrastructure up to the amount of infrastructure provided by the best adjacent railway that connects it to the market capital. If you want good access to the Sulfur Mines in Aginskoye for your Munition Plants in St. Petersburg, you best get started on that Trans-Siberian Railway sooner rather than later, because it will take a good long while to build.

They really scared me by not covering that until the bottom third of the diary, but I really just need to trust these designers. Everything they’ve shown has really knocked it out of the park.

Good timing for Victoria 3 to have infrastructure weak er week. Perfectly sensible approach to infrastructure.

The state traits are a nice addition too, just to add some further natural uniqueness to regions. Also for the modding potential.