Video Editing Software?

Hi there,

What’s your favorite consumer level video editing software? I’ve currently got Sony Movie Studio Platinum Ver 12, which I haven’t used yet. I probably won’t be doing very complex edits, but don’t want to rule out the possibility. Been thinking about Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X7 or maybe Adobe Premiere Elements 13 (since I like Photoshop Elements). Any opinions?

Over the years I have used everything from Vegas to Ulead stuff to, oh crap, what’s their name, British company, MEP Pro I think, Premiere Elements, Corel stuff etc. I used to change about once a year.

And I have settled on Cyberlink Powerdirector. It does far more than I utilize, has all the capabilities I want, good support (lots of video tutorials,) is simple to use, and is priced at a consumer level. Just upgraded mine to Powerdirector 13. Been using it for about 2-3 years and don’t even look at other products now.

FWIW

Sony video formerly known as Vegas

This is also what I chose. It’s also a very fast bit of software.

Power director here also

Corel video studio, tons of compliments for my vids and easy to figure out

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try the demo of those if Sony doesn’t work out. It’s making a bit more sense than it did initially.

We made a recording of my daughter singing with both a mobile for video and a separate microphone for better audio. I want to add the audio to the video.

I need a simple (and preferably free) tool for that. Any recommendations?

I didn’t bump this thread. @Navaronegun

Mac or PC? What’s your budget?

I haven’t fiddled with it, since I haven’t had the urge to do much video editing in a long time and that was mainly with Power Director, but I believe Openshot has a Windows version now that should be able to do it.

It’s hard to imagine an editor that wouldn’t since you’d basically just mute the video, import the other audio file and just slap it on the time line and go render out to your format of choice.

4 years ain’t no Yakattack on a thread. You and I both know that is child’s play for you, Sir.

PC and 0 if I can help it. I don’t see myself using it that often or doing anything other than adding the audio.

I’d like a tool that’s well documented so I don’t have to tinker too much.

Many of the software packages have free trials. I haven’t used free ones so I don’t know how they are. I don’t do much video editing.

For zero budget you might want to try: https://www.blender.org/ (yes, Blender has useful video editing functionality) & http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Note: since video editing is not Blender’s primary purpose, the UI flow might seem overwhelming at first, but after using it once or twice, you’ll know how to get to where you want to. Good thing is you’ll have no trouble finding quick Blender tutorials on Youtube or other places in the web for all the standard video editing tasks you’re looking for.

For GIF files created from scratch using still images, I use Jasc Animation Shop 3.

Would that avidemux program work if I just want to trim video files of various kinds, like mp4, avi and wmv files, or cut a longer one into separate files?

MKVtoolnix works well for that.

I used to use Windows Movie Maker to edit videos. My needs are simple, and it fit the bill. But Microsoft has dumped it. My video editing is very infrequent so my preferred price is free.

My needs are to be able to trim video. Add sound/music, and some simple transitions.

Suggestions?

DaVinci Resolve might be overkill. But it’s also free. Vegas Pro 15 was $25 before Christmas via the Humble Bundle.