Video game lore questions

I guess I always figured that was the point? That the survivors on the surface, even the mutants and ghouls, were rebuilding into a society, but all the vaults were just messed up little inbred Petri dishes of dysfunction.

Hey, we’re getting ripped off!

Technically, it was because Vault-Tech was running cruel experiments on a lot of the vault dwellers (and may have started the nuclear exchange to do so). At least that’s what I gathered from nosing around their HQ in Fallout 3.

Good point. But why build a protagonist out of that environment? Why not from any one of the survivors outside of that. Vaults would still be an exploration point, but less an origination point.

I remember those as well. It just drilled in more than the vault system was a failure by any measure.

Strangely it makes me want to play a NON-vault dweller in the series. I know there are mods for that, but it seems like a huge area for exploration within the Lore.

How about a Fallout game where you play as a Super Mutant?

The courier from New Vegas wasn’t from a vault, right?

Fallout: New Vegas had a protagonist who was not from a Vault, but from outside. I felt it had the weakest opening as a result. I just didn’t care about the main character and his main quest, as opposed to Fallout 1,2,3,4, where the vault dwellers’ quests were much more… motivating.

4’s quest was the least motivating of all for me. Holy shit do I not care one iota for family drama in a wasteland.

Would love a Fawkes story.

Doesn’t Fallout 4 pretty much confirm just that, that the vaults were nothing but little petri dishes set up by big brother?

I cared about the background of the New Vegas courier inasmuch as I figured she had a family or friends or life back in Cali where she came from, and it was only a little weird (even accounting for some slight amnesia) that she had no interest in getting back there. If a UPS driver gets in a traffic collision while dropping off a package, it is rare that he gets involved in the politics and lives of that neighborhood where he crashed. Usually, I hear, he hurries back ASAP to limit the amount of chewing out he’ll get from the boss. If the New Vegas courier came to the Mojave knowing she had an urge to mess around with the entrenched power structures, that would have helped me a lot. That said, I enjoyed her counter-clockwise tour around the New Vegas area once she realized it was boring in the first village and the game began in earnest.

Maybe he was born in Montana?

Maybe. It did not seem like that at all in Fallout 1 and 2.
Maybe a little bit of that in Fallout 3. Some vaults seemed legitimate, although its been so long since I played F3, that my memory is very fuzzy.

In F:NV it seemed more so to be experiments, although some vaults may not have been.
In F:4, it seems that every vault is an experiment.

I really do not like this direction they have gone with the fallout universe. I would prefer a world where some are experimental vaults, while others are legit, and once in a while, a legit vault makes it.

I have mixed feelings about the next fallout game (however long until that happens) based on the many issues I have with Fallout 4. I really hope they clean up their act and move back to the roots established in Fallout 1 and 2 rather than forward with the pure drek that is fallout 4.

Id also love to see a green world. I am so sick of brown / grey landscapes. After a few 100 years, trees and plants should be everywhere. In fact, ,most of the old would should be overgrown, not barren. What the heck is all the mutant wild-life eating if the world is just a dead barren place?

Because he needs an eye for The Eye, and he’s kinda resentful he needed to rely on Garrett in the first place.

I had completely forgotten that. I don’t think it bothered me as a plot but apparently it didn’t strike me enough to remember it well. Perhaps the point @Rock8man stated IS true, it’s being from a vault that grabs the player in a way of remembering they’ve lost it all, the world is now their (brown a lifeless) oyster.

Hmm. Horses for courses, I guess. i quite like that there’s no Vault stuff related to the protagonist in New Vegas. Just the fact that you got wronged, and you want payback.

It strikes an even balance between Fallout 4’s they took [Alicia Vikander]The Baby![/Alicia Vikander] and Fallout 3’s Well Dad Bailed And I guess I Could Care More About Him then He Does Me But Look At That Shiny thing Over The Horizon.

In the first game, the vaults are just bomb shelters. The idea that the vaults were experiments originates in Fallout 2, but it’s not an important part of the plot. It’s just something that you find out if you poke around and read all the text in the game.

I’m not a fan of it. It makes no sense for a company to spend vast amounts on experiments that will never happen unless there’s a nuclear war. Fallout was never meant to be taken 100% seriously, but it wasn’t supposed to be completely illogical either. Maybe this is my fault for being the kind of person who asks “what do these people eat?” in fantasy worlds, but it breaks my immersion when I run into something that just doesn’t make any sense.

I think it’s kind of funny, personally. These people who believed they were in the best position to survive the apocalypse end up tormented by those they thought would protect them. And, like I mentioned before, society is actually rebuilding itself on the surface.

Unless said company is actually responsible for the nuclear war.

There a few reasons for causing the nuclear war in Fallout given the lore. One reason is given in a sorta secret communication in Fallout 4.

I Always thought it might be a great time travel game: You start in a Fallout universe but are somehow able to stop the apocalypse (eg, terminator/sarah connor wise)/

Be nice to see a Bethesda open world game with moving traffic for once.