Video Gaming Books

Well I’ll be damned! Thanks, I’ll check them out.

Obviously with anything like this it can be hit or miss. At the very least they do produce physical editions of stuff you’d only get digitally in this era.

For example… coming soon…

Also, Limited Run is now the home for Jeremy Parish’s book output so it’s a good link in general for people coming here for books!

That does look really nice!

Thanks for the link, Dave! Pre-ordered a copy as well.
My first love in PC gaming was space simulators when I bought my first 486 rig in 1993, but the genre that quickly followed it was FPS, and that genre has endured for me far longer than any other, so this book was an easy buy for me.

Doom was my first full game purchase. Bought it direct from id (I think. Or whoever was handling their mail-orders) and also grabbed the shirt, which I wish I wouldn’t have worn out so quickly. That shirt sparked lots of conversation with strangers at the shopping mall back in the day. Fun times!

Then somehow, I made it my quest to purchase complete boxed copies of every FPS PC game made in the era roughly from 1992 to 2000. I know I did not succeed, but I still have those many hundreds of games on shelves all over my house.

All that to say: This book is perfect for me!

Man, I feel like I’m definitely going to end up owning that Go Straight book eventually.

I’ve also been eyeing their KoF history for a while.

@DaveLong mentioned Limited Run Games, but there are several other companies that do this, including iam8bit and Serenity Forge.

Wow, that is an amazing collection of stuff available on Iam8bit. I think this is the first time in my life I’ve actually wished I had more money.

EDIT: LOL @ Unpacking storage box at the Serenity Forge.

Yeah, I was sort of looking for PC stuff specifically for @stusser.

You’re absolutely welcome! I’m glad this discussion came up again. I hadn’t realized it’s been six years since my initial post! That sounds like an excellent collection you have. You should toss some pictures in the Nostalgia thread.

Same here! Now if only Dave could find me a coffee table book about space sims!

The genre never took off to such an extent to justify a book like this, with only one page or so per title followed by a bunch of screenshots. They would need to devote 20 pages to games like X-2.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve got some more space now so I’ve been buying some physical books again, and I grabbed the SNES Pixel and JRPG books. At worst they’ll look good on a bookshelf, but even from the previews I think I’m going to really enjoy them. (And assuming I do, I’m also in for the CRPG book when it’s available.)

I’d need to organize them better first. But here’s a shot of random games from unused bedroom #1:

Fantastic pic! @BrianRubin is salivating at those pristine space sims in there I am sure!

I do wish I had kept my PC game boxes but space got to be a problem. I have some though! I’ll get some snaps for the other thread too.

OMG, YOU’RE the other person who’s owned Terminus.

What a lovely collection.

I owned Terminus too, unfortunately.

For me it was the biggest gaming disappointment of all time. I listened to every interview, poured over every screenshot for years before that game’s release. I really felt like that was going to be the ultimate Privateer 3 substitute when it came out.

2nd place is MOO3.

C’mon, it wasn’t that bad. It had horrible onboarding and wasn’t approachable at all but once it clicked it was a lot of fun.

Mine was Privateer 2. I never got the game to not block me out of the main quest due to bugs.

Yeah actual Privateer 2 was a thousand times worse than Terminus. P2 might be one of my biggest disappointments in all of gaming.