Videogame Ads from 1982

A trip down amnesia lane:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/1352356/

Yes, folks. In 20 years, people will look at the ads for Doom 3, Oblivion and the like, laugh at the copy and wonder how people ever thought such stilted dolls house figures and such plastic environments were ever considered impressive.

The first game that blew me away was probably Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga 500. The technical hook? A neat hack to make parralax scrolling appear perspectival, great sampled music and bags of atmosphere. Everything else about the title was quite unpleasant.

You know, the next person who makes a scifi racing game needs to use that exact marketing line.

Is that the Kool-Aid man?

Can you explain what you mean by this “neat hack”? I remember Beast and the graphical hype surrounding it at the time, and as far as I can tell it’s just that it had more layers of parallax scrolling than most games up to that time. (It boasted 13 layers, although in truth it was only the opening outdoors level that had this many layers.)

The concept of using parallax scrolling in this way was certainly nothing new – we’d seen it in Seven Cities of Gold, Choplifter, Forbidden Forest, and Park Patrol, to name a few much earlier games. But none of those games had more than 2 or 3 layers of parallax.

As for games that have graphically blown me away, I can think of lots… going back as far as Pitfall, Swordquest Earthworld (just for the opening screen with a picture of a sword), Smurf Adventure on the Colecovision. I don’t think any game has impressed me graphically as much as Outrun the first time I saw it in an arcade, though.

I meant “hack” in a casual context, as in, there were enough layers of parralax to make it pretty hard to easily detect that this was the technique being used – as opposed to, say, SNES mode 7-style scaling (which, IIRC, was actually used to accomplish the same effect on the SNES).

Ah. Yeah, I’m not aware of any previous game having anywhere near that many layers. I do remember being amazed by early 3D games like Virus, however, and noticing how the parallax “took care of itself” in such games…