Videogame Journalism 2015 - The readers strike back!

That doesn’t really help either.

Barging into a new forum in full-on antagonistic mode probably isn’t a good idea. Keep that in mind at the next forum you decide to join.

One thing you need to know about this site: your grudges aren’t welcome. If you can’t carry them quietly, carry them somewhere else.

-Tom

I’ll never understand the way some think it’s okay to go into someone else’s virtual house talk mad shit and act like an asshole.

Uh… “ethics”? ;)

Hey, I don’t usually speak ill of the deleted, but you’re the one that came in throwing around the polysyllables and started acting all superior and lecturing us.

Lots of us can do highly complex tasks and discuss things at a high level, but we don’t whip it out every damn post.

We don’t have an actual thread for the Marty O’Donnell vs Bungie blowout. (It was stuck in the Destiny thread last year.)

Here’s what Marty is doing now:

Kotaku writes a spoiler-filled article about something that happens early on in Batman: Arkham Knight, with the caveat that the author hasn’t finished the game.

Like I said above, I haven’t finished playing Arkham Knight yet. There may be some big turnabout that changes the way I perceive the controversial scene above.

The author really should just shut up and finish the game

It’s a trick.

Welcome to the world where no hurt feelings or bad perceptions is the goal. Do not fail to meet the goal, you won’t like what happens to you.

Chris Crawford.

RPS has a nice little scoop on his new attempts to redefine gaming (or something):

Which also mentions the kickstarter! only 7 days left to raise the funds (not sure how i missed this kickstarter, i’ve always been a bit of a Crawford fan after loving Eastern Front to bits on my Atari 800).

Is that the dame guy who did Wing Commander? Seems like a familiar name.

You’re confusing Chris Roberts and Chris Crawford. Chris Crawford’s main claim to fame is a bunch of games some of us played on the Apple IIGS or equivalent, followed by his career as a semi-professional crank railing against the games industry.

-Tom

And that NASA gig, that was cool :)

And founding the GDC. But yeah, kind of a crank.

I think for my money he is more of a misunderstood genius, but i’m not totally convinced on his passion for making games more like people (i sort of fell in love with computer games as a way to get away from (annoying) people!). All his free to read design stuff is worth a gander for sure (should be required reading for all game devs imho).

Kevin VanOrd is leaving Gamespot.

The time has come to pursue a new course. It’s never an easy choice, but I think it is the right one. Soon, I will be joining MMOG developer/publisher Trion Worlds as a writer.

Whoooooa, that’s big.

I liked Kevin VanOrd’s reviews. Too bad for me but I hope it’s a good change for him.

How is he a genius if he hadn’t shipped anything for decades?

One of my old compadres committed some journalism in this story of Patrice Desilets, Assassin’s Creed, The Order, THQ’s implosion, and Ubisoft.

It’s a jillion words, but worth reading.

e: fixed link