Videos 2017 - YouTube and Beyond

Probably enough for a vest, though…

Was reading the story below on sfgate.com. Posting it here because the page has a cool movie taken a few days before the '06 earthquake and I couldn’t figure out a link for just the video:

Cool diversity of transportation types. Horse-drawn buggies and trolleys, early automobiles, cable cars, a bicycle.

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos original cut.

NSFW

Now I’ve truly fallen down the remix rabbit hole, and have found a group of people on Youtube/Soundcloud who take recent top 10 hits and rework them to sound like they came out in the 80s. If you hate electric drums and generous uses of synthesizers, do not click on these links!

Speaking of Kimbra,

Wow, the Sword of Laban line is amazing.

That video is pretty adorable. Like, I think the Mormon church is horrible, and making kids go out and annoy people door to door is stupid, but the video just illustrates that the missionaries are just teenage kids, talking about normal (albeit very Mormon-ifieid) teenage kid stuff.

For their missions, some mormons get to go to other countries, maybe helping do good works and experience new cultures.

Others get to go door-to-door in the suburbs for two years. Sucks.

Sometimes they are less prepared.

The original (it says “restored”, but I believe it’s slightly enhanced) Star Wars trailer from 1976. Note that this was before John Williams’ score was added. Without knowing what you know now, how interested would you be in seeing this movie on the basis of this trailer?

Oh man, it’s the old “Somewhere in space this may all be happening right now” trailer! I haven’t seen that since I was a kid! That’s awesome.

I think it’s not that bad. I’d say many trailers for 60s, 70s or 80s classics look a bit lame and unexciting by today’s standards, and they certainly put less effort into them than they do today.

That said, yeah, it’s pretty weird to see Star Wars footage without the Williams score attached to it.

“Light years ahead of its time”? That’s arguably worse than making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!

I remember that a trailer, which ran on network TV, got me all jazzed to see the movie, but I don’t think it was this one. I don’t recall ever seeing a trailer or even knowing about the movie in '76. I saw the trailer that ran on TV at the time of the movie’s release in May '77, which, as best as I can recall, was more polished than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1V4gdvGu5o

And they charged each other $350/hr. for that.