Videos - YouTube and Beyond

I was there. OMG!

Ian Anderson, the man who made the flute a rock and roll instrument.

Tangentially related to prog rock - Steve Howe (Yes) with Les Paul (ā€˜Inventor of rock and rollā€™ might be too grand a title for him, but only by a smidge). Les Paul was only about 80 in this video. Thereā€™s a bunch of film of Paul still cookinā€™ and improvising at 90 in the 2017 AXS tribute film.

Oh wow, thatā€™s a blast from the past. Somewhere in my teens (the 70ā€™s), my dad knew I loved rock music. He didnā€™t, much. So whenever some music store was clearing out their old albums, theyā€™d cut a corner off the album cover and sell it for a buck or less sometimes. Dad would browse through and grab dozens of them at a time, I think based mostly on the cover art, since Dad was an artist, and heā€™d give us kids each a few albums every Christmas or birthday.

One Christmas, I got Jethro Tullā€™s ā€œThick As A Brickā€ and The Allman Brothers ā€œEat A Peachā€, and a few more, but those two I remember, because while I mostly disliked the albums heā€™d give me, those two I kept coming back to, and I eventually came around to love them a lot. There was also a Janis Joplin and the Holding Company album in there, but I bounced off that one pretty hard back then, only learning to appreciate her when I got into my 40ā€™s.

In the 70ā€™s, I was mostly into the big arena acts, like BOC, Thin Lizzy, BTO, Foghat and Uriah Heep. Also glam rock, like Queen, Sweet and Angel, which I guess were both glam and big arena acts. I just couldnā€™t get into anything less loud than that. So I have Dad to thank for making me appreciate the less sonic side of rock.

I still have those albums around here somewhere. I should really dig them out. I havenā€™t heard either one of those in decades.

Trees is awesome, and Rush helped inspire one of my favorite branches of music.

So Iā€™ll post one of the influenced, and the biggest band from the first waves of the genre

I will take your lead and go back before Rush in the same Genre for an earlier influence:

Of course Iā€™ve had it in the ear before!

https://twitter.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1008487432222724096

Ripping Yarns, the Michael Palin (and sometimes Terry Jones) Python Alumni spoof of the Stories for Boys genre are back on YouTube. One of my all time favorite War-themed scenes in media is time-linked below. (@divedivedive , @Brooski, @Rod_Humble, @Panzeh, enjoy!).

Archie: Intelligence thinks the Germans might be up to something very underhand.
Harry: Bloody Intelligence, they never did like the Germans.

Ooh, I quite enjoyed that episode! Are the rest as good as that one?
Somehow, Iā€™d never even heard of that series.

They are all pretty good. That is the first episode from Season 2, so if you like that, youā€™ll enjoy the rest.

This is the best cosplay Iā€™ve ever seen.

Madrid police dog trained to perform CPR:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle speaks about Sherlock Holmes and psychics.
Not terribly interesting, but I had never actually seen or heard him speak before, so this was kind of cool.
This is 1927, so heā€™d be 68, three years before his death of a heart attack.